Waterloo Region Connected
Carshare in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Carshare in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=1040)

Pages: 1 2

Carsharing in Waterloo Region - mpd618 - 02-08-2015

Carsharing in Waterloo Region

RE: Carsharing in Waterloo Region - mpd618 - 02-08-2015

Some news at Community CarShare: several new rate plans (Occasional Plan and Corporate Distance Plan), drivers who are 18 or have only a G2 can drive as of March 1, and there's a new program that allows vehicles to be reserved at several dozen new "Quantum Stations" all throughout Kitchener-Waterloo.

Community Car Share - MidTowner - 09-25-2017

I was surprised not to be able to find a thread about Community Car Share. If there is one already (I really thought that there was), apologies.

I suppose we have a lot of car share members on here. An e-mail was sent to co-op members on the weekend outlining the challenges facing the car share, and posing the question of whether the co-op should reincorporate as a for-profit co-op in order to seek new financing, or sell to Communauto, which has expressed interest.

Personally, I'm torn about those two options, but think that the Communauto purchase would be interesting. I'm pleased they see a possibility for successful car share in KW and the other cities Community Car Share serves. Of course, others have recently, too, but this seems more tangible. I'm really curious to see what the membership ultimately decides about a Communauto sale.

RE: Community Car Share - tomh009 - 09-25-2017

Do they have a new challenge? Is the membership and/or car usage dropping? Or is this an ongoing, long-term challenge?

RE: Community Car Share - MidTowner - 09-25-2017

Membership has steadily grown since inception, as far as I know. I believe these are ongoing challenges.

RE: Community Car Share - Markster - 09-25-2017

(09-25-2017, 10:18 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I was surprised not to be able to find a thread about Community Car Share. If there is one already (I really thought that there was), apologies.

There was! And now the threads are merged!

RE: Carshare in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 09-25-2017

Thanks! Sorry again! I didn't think to search for it as one word.

RE: Carshare in Waterloo Region - Markster - 10-12-2017

Big news:

Community CarShare has been in a perilous financial situation for a little while now. Basically one that was only feasible in an environment of continued growth.

Apparently they've been in discussions with Communauto of Montreal, who were interested in acquiring CCS as a way of entering the south Ontario market. The values of Communauto align fairly well with CCS, despite being a private company (as opposed to a non-profit co-op).

It's increasingly been a risk that one day one of the big players in Toronto, ZipCar, AutoShare, or Car2Go would decide to expand, and they have large multi-national backing (the former two are owned by rental car companies Budget and Enterprise respectively).

RE: Carshare in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 10-12-2017

Maven is already in Kitchener, too, albeit with only five (or four?) cars.

Car2Go is Daimler, and Maven is GM.

RE: Carshare in Waterloo Region - Markster - 10-12-2017

The saving grace thus far, has been that the big players have not yet jumped full in.  They keep toying with these small little efforts that aren't really a comprehensive choice for locals.

The danger has always been that a big operator shows up one day with 30+ cars and at undercutting rates.

RE: Carshare in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 10-12-2017

(10-12-2017, 12:38 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Maven is already in Kitchener, too, albeit with only five (or four?) cars.

Car2Go is Daimler, and Maven is GM.

Maven is more of a GM experiment they have five cars but in one parking lot across the street from GM's innovation office in Communitech, it's not intended to be a real competitive service.

RE: Carshare in Waterloo Region - Markster - 11-22-2017

A big meeting tonight for Community CarShare.  If you're a member, be sure to head out.
Kitchener-Waterloo Venue: Knox Waterloo Presbyterian Church, 50 Erb St. W., Waterloo
Hamilton Venue: Staybridge Hotel and Suites, 20 Caroline St. S., Hamilton

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/community-carshare-special-general-meeting-tickets-39779362143

Some very existential motions are proposed regarding the possible sale to Communauto.

RE: Carshare in Waterloo Region - tvot - 11-22-2017

(11-22-2017, 03:06 PM)Markster Wrote: A big meeting tonight for Community CarShare.  If you're a member, be sure to head out.
Kitchener-Waterloo Venue: Knox Waterloo Presbyterian Church, 50 Erb St. W., Waterloo
Hamilton Venue: Staybridge Hotel and Suites, 20 Caroline St. S., Hamilton

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/community-carshare-special-general-meeting-tickets-39779362143

Some very existential motions are proposed regarding the possible sale to Communauto.

Shoot, somehow I missed the email and saw this way too late.

RE: Carshare in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 11-25-2017

So ... what was the outcome?

RE: Carshare in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 11-27-2017

Membership gave the Board approval to negotiate a definitive sales agreement with Communauto/VRTUCAR, and execute it without going back to the membership.

If an agreement can be reached wherein VRTUCAR takes over all of the co-op's debt, the car share will be sold.