Waterloo Region Connected
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed (/showthread.php?tid=1146)

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - Rainrider22 - 03-23-2019

I drove by this morning and there is a huge line up of dump trucks. Looks like they are taking more earth away. I am surprised so early after a big pour.   These guys are not wasting anytime.

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - jeffster - 03-23-2019

Correct me if I am wrong, but this will be one of the tallest buildings in Ontario outside the GTA. Look forward to the end result!

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - KevinL - 03-23-2019

(03-23-2019, 03:36 PM)jeffster Wrote: Correct me if I am wrong, but this will be one of the tallest buildings in Ontario outside the GTA. 

Its only challengers are a couple Niagara Falls hotels, and Hamilton's Landmark Place.

It will also be Waterloo Region's first above 110m, which is the minimum for this Wikipedia list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_in_Ontario

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 03-23-2019

Ottawa's "Icon" condo tower is currently under construction and will top out at 45 storeys. Some other, even taller towers have been proposed.

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - jgsz - 03-25-2019

Lots of soil was removed on Saturday.  I noticed that the edge of the concrete that was laid on Friday was slightly damaged by some of the equipment.  Today they are placing heavy steel (?) posts on the concrete.  As usual, I have no idea what they are doing.  But it's fascinating to watch.

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - Spokes - 03-25-2019

Every time you post pictures, it jumps out to me how I'm so jealous of your perspective for photos. So glad you're sharing it with us!

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - Rainrider22 - 03-25-2019

Look at all that sand !!! No wonder the town was called SandHills...

I notice a deeper hole dug at the bottom left of the pic, I wonder what that is for. This is very cool to watch...

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - KingandWeber - 03-25-2019

(03-25-2019, 10:32 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Look at all that sand !!!  No wonder the town was called SandHills...

I notice a deeper hole dug at the bottom left of the pic,  I wonder what that is for.   This is very cool to watch...

Yeah I'm amazed! Despite the Sandhills history, I had no idea there was so much sand under Kitchener.

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - jeffster - 03-25-2019

(03-25-2019, 10:32 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Look at all that sand !!!  No wonder the town was called SandHills...

I notice a deeper hole dug at the bottom left of the pic,  I wonder what that is for.   This is very cool to watch...

Yeah, really surprising how much sand there is. Just wow.

I wonder if that deeper hole is for mechanical, like a sump pump. They have something like that at the Cop Shop parking garage (KPL).

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - Rainrider22 - 03-25-2019

(03-25-2019, 04:15 PM)jeffster Wrote:

Yeah, really surprising how much sand there is. Just wow.

I wonder if that deeper hole is for mechanical, like a sump pump. They have something like that at the Cop Shop parking garage (KPL).

Re the hole, I was thinking that too.  A sump pump would be required with all that sand.  Or too much hydraulic pressure would build up under the foundation pad and cause structural issues.   (to be clear, I am not an engineer, just someone who has read and watched building techniques.  I don't want to get the engineers here wound up and tooting their horn...  The horn was a joke linked to an engineer..  I dont want the train afectionados here upset either)

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - panamaniac - 03-25-2019

(03-25-2019, 12:00 PM)KingandWeber Wrote:

Yeah I'm amazed! Despite the Sandhills history, I had no idea there was so much sand under Kitchener.

Cedar hill and the (now much flattened) hill that this tower is on are entirely sand, afaik.

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - jgsz - 03-26-2019

Yesterday they started to build the rebar (if that's what it's called). 

What I find interesting is that the cement pad covers about a third of the proposed floor plan.  I assume there will be more cement to cover the rest of the area later.

Yesterday I referred to steel posts being delivered.  It turns out they are round bars made of steel and bundled together.

Does anyone know what the material is on the side of the walls?  First they put on what looks like a black sheet and then a white sheet over that.  Is it some kind of insulation?

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - megabytephreak - 03-26-2019

(03-26-2019, 08:38 AM)jgsz Wrote: Does anyone know what the material is on the side of the walls?  First they put on what looks like a black sheet and then a white sheet over that.  Is it some kind of insulation?

Probably some sort of waterproofing. First a drainage layer to let the water flow to the bottom, than a barrier layer to protect the concrete that will eventually be poured between a form and the wood.

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - Rainrider22 - 03-26-2019

It looks like the reverse of foundation water protecting. Typically you pour the foundation then do the water protection. In this case they put up the protection and pour the cement to it.

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - clasher - 03-26-2019

Those steel round bars are in fact called rebar (short for reinforcing bar) and I would guess that it's for the crane pad.