Waterloo Region Connected
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed (/showthread.php?tid=1146)

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - jgsz - 05-19-2019

(05-19-2019, 01:26 AM)Square Wrote: Is it me or does the counter jib and the jib do not look straight, the counter jib looks crooked?  Also does the counter jib have those stones at the back?  Thank you.

The jib and the counter jib don't look straight to me either.  Yesterday the mobile crane did lift some stone like slabs to the back of the counter jib.  Overall, the crane doesn't look like most of the other cranes I can see.  Perhaps they're not finished with it yet.

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - jeffster - 05-19-2019

(05-19-2019, 01:26 AM)Square Wrote: Is it me or does the counter jib and the jib do not look straight, the counter jib looks crooked?  Also does the counter jib have those stones at the back?  Thank you.

I've seen jibs look like this for taller buildings -- usually 40+ stories. No idea why that is, but they don't always look straight. Might have something to do with wind shear.

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - ZEBuilder - 05-19-2019

(05-19-2019, 06:42 PM)jeffster Wrote:

I've seen jibs look like this for taller buildings -- usually 40+ stories. No idea why that is, but they don't always look straight. Might have something to do with wind shear.

That would make sense but why at this height then. It looks like it's at 10 floors.

2019-05-19

The jib and counter jib look straight today.  It appears they are not tethered and today's strong winds rotated them a little so they offer the least resistance to the winds.  At least that's my guess.

For those who are interested, this is what is on the counter jib.  It looks like the hoist gear assembly is there and I think the yellow blocks are the ballast block.

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - skyrise32 - 05-21-2019

Lets just say this crane has seen better days.

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - Rainrider22 - 05-21-2019

It would be cool to know what towers the crane was involved in building. They should have a historical record attached..

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - jgsz - 05-24-2019

Not much work has been done on this project this past week.  This morning I noticed that the hoisting block with the hook crashed onto the rebar and the hoisting rope is dangling from the jib.  Not a good sign.  And I don't know what the holdup is.  Perhaps they're waiting for various trades workers to resume work.  With all the construction going on in KW it may not be easy to get all the workers they need, when they need them.

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - Rainrider22 - 05-24-2019

Sounds to me like the crane hasn't gotten final approvals to start using it. They cant do anything until the crane is certified by the TSSA...

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - jgsz - 05-24-2019

(05-24-2019, 08:22 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Sounds to me like the crane hasn't gotten final approvals to start using it.  They cant do anything until the crane is certified by the TSSA...

That could be it.  How long does it usually take the TSSA (whatever that is) to certify it?  Certainly having the hook crash is not a good sign.  Couple of days ago I saw a worker on the top of the crane pulling some wire but not much else has happened since.

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - clasher - 05-24-2019

TSSA does elevators and roller coasters (and other things) but I don't think they inspect and certify cranes. A professional engineer inspects the crane with non-destructive methods (checking welds, wire ropes, etc.) before it's erected and then it gets inspected again after it's erected. I imagine if the block is down there might be a problem with the wire ropes, especially if it's an old crane. Maybe something got messed up when they reeved the wire rope and now they gotta put on new rope.

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - skyrise32 - 05-24-2019

(05-24-2019, 11:00 AM)clasher Wrote: TSSA does elevators and roller coasters (and other things) but I don't think they inspect and certify cranes. A professional engineer inspects the crane with non-destructive methods (checking welds, wire ropes, etc.) before it's erected and then it gets inspected again after it's erected. I imagine if the block is down there might be a problem with the wire ropes, especially if it's an old crane. Maybe something got messed up when they reeved the wire rope and now they gotta put on new rope.

Yes there are definitely some issues here, no contractor loses this many days with the crane setup and inspection. It is always scheduled before and done asap in order to continue with work.

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - Chicopee - 05-24-2019

(05-24-2019, 11:00 AM)clasher Wrote: TSSA does elevators and roller coasters (and other things) but I don't think they inspect and certify cranes. A professional engineer inspects the crane with non-destructive methods (checking welds, wire ropes, etc.) before it's erected and then it gets inspected again after it's erected. I imagine if the block is down there might be a problem with the wire ropes, especially if it's an old crane. Maybe something got messed up when they reeved the wire rope and now they gotta put on new rope.

Interesting. I wonder to what extent the inspection goes for each set-up of the crane. I question if each and every weld is inspected, and if so, what  NDT is used? UT, dye pen., or??

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - tomh009 - 05-24-2019

(05-24-2019, 01:25 PM)Chicopee Wrote:

Interesting. I wonder to what extent the inspection goes for each set-up of the crane. I question if each and every weld is inspected, and if so, what  NDT is used? UT, dye pen., or??

It is to be done by a PEng every time, prior to being erected.

Some reading here:
https://domson.ca/raising-the-bar-for-tower-crane-inspection/

RE: Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | U/C - Lens - 05-24-2019

I don't have a ton of confidence in this developer yet. They're a student block builder and this is a WAY different building in context, height, and buyers. Will be interesting to watch.