Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - timc - 01-25-2018

(01-22-2018, 11:26 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: This is a PIC not a PCC. No chance for further input/consultation; just sharing the final results.

Then what is the survey for?

RE: Grand River Transit - Canard - 01-25-2018

(01-25-2018, 12:55 PM)chutten Wrote: Really hoping I get into this beta program. So tired of waiting for the transfers to be laboriously printed, holding up the whole queue.

Is this still a problem? I thought they said that this was a simple software glitch, and it was resolved?

RE: Grand River Transit - Pheidippides - 01-25-2018

(01-25-2018, 05:07 PM)timc Wrote:
(01-22-2018, 11:26 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: This is a PIC not a PCC. No chance for further input/consultation; just sharing the final results.

Then what is the survey for?

Good question; missed that last sentence. Maybe a cut-paste error held over from previously? Maybe collecting input for 2019 and beyond?

The point I was actually trying to make was that, given that the 2018 budget is already set and that changes are expected to roll out in two phases, coinciding with the Ion launch and the usual September rollout (for example we already know when the 205 is expected to start), having PICs in to the middle March doesn't give enough time to collect more input, make the changes, and roll them out with a spring Ion launch or re-allocate budget dollars.

Any information collected will have to be applied to the 2019 and beyond network.

RE: Grand River Transit - tvot - 01-25-2018

(01-25-2018, 11:36 PM)Canard Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 12:55 PM)chutten Wrote: Really hoping I get into this beta program. So tired of waiting for the transfers to be laboriously printed, holding up the whole queue.

Is this still a problem?  I thought they said that this was a simple software glitch, and it was resolved?

The printing of transfers is painfully slow when paying by ticket, I don't know if the machine does better when paying by cash since that is in the machine proper instead of a temporary receptacle. Thankfully in my case I'm usually the only one printing a transfer, the rest of the people boarding usually have passes.

Thankfully scanning the transfers is nice & fast.

I signed up for the beta as did a couple of co-workers.

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 01-26-2018

(01-25-2018, 11:57 PM)tvot Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 11:36 PM)Canard Wrote: Is this still a problem?  I thought they said that this was a simple software glitch, and it was resolved?

The printing of transfers is painfully slow when paying by ticket, I don't know if the machine does better when paying by cash since that is in the machine proper instead of a temporary receptacle. Thankfully in my case I'm usually the only one printing a transfer, the rest of the people boarding usually have passes.

It may also be "faster"....that doesn't necessarily mean it is "fast".

RE: Grand River Transit - chutten - 01-26-2018

(01-26-2018, 12:07 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 11:57 PM)tvot Wrote: The printing of transfers is painfully slow when paying by ticket, I don't know if the machine does better when paying by cash since that is in the machine proper instead of a temporary receptacle. Thankfully in my case I'm usually the only one printing a transfer, the rest of the people boarding usually have passes.

It may also be "faster"....that doesn't necessarily mean it is "fast".

I haven't timed it (before or after the purported fix), but it does not seem to be appreciably faster. This may be because the printer's only a part of the slowness:

There's a delay where the operator has to recognize I'm paying by ticket and press the button on the back that says "Yeah, we have one of -those- here" so that the terminal can activate the 'print a transfer button'. Then there's a delay for me to hit that button (some operators force the print directly so my button press is irrelevant). Then there are (*counts in his head, trying to remember*) four? seconds waiting for the printer to print and eject the transfer. Then a delay for me to pull it (with force! Good thing I have strength in my hands) from the machine's grip.

Even if the printer were instantaneous, there's no way this flow will be able to beat the speed of the rider scanning the transfer, hitting with a contactless pass, or showing the pass to the operator who then pushes a button. The best solution to this problem may not be faster printing, but getting the farecards everywhere, yesterday.

I wonder if we'll ever be able to load from multiple doors on the GRT. People are the slowest and most variable part of this system, and there's only so much farecards can help with that.

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 01-26-2018

Signup for the easygo beta is now closed due to "overwelming response"

https://twitter.com/GRT_ROW/status/956892720387297280

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 01-26-2018

Shows how eager the traveling public are for an updated fare technology!

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 01-27-2018

I noticed that GRT updated the platform screens at Charles terminal to a new layout

RE: Grand River Transit - Pheidippides - 01-27-2018

(01-27-2018, 03:51 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: I noticed that GRT updated the platform screens at Charles terminal to a new layout

I noticed those today too. A cleaned, less cluttered look, bigger font. Hopefully they work more reliably.

I noticed this on the #4 today:

The language, "consultation," is different from the website which says "information" so I am totally confused if they are still gathering input to the 2018 network. This seems like about the 4th or 5th round of consultation. At some point you just need to make a decision and go with it and revisit any changes in 2019.

Actually, just checking the website it says the sessions are postponed (compare to cached version):
"Our public information centres have been postponed. New dates will be posted soon."

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 01-27-2018

Yes, I'd put myself as 'interested' on one of the events on Facebook, but got back a message it had been cancelled, earlier today.

RE: Grand River Transit - trainspotter139 - 01-28-2018

(01-27-2018, 09:45 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 03:51 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: I noticed that GRT updated the platform screens at Charles terminal to a new layout

I noticed those today too. A cleaned, less cluttered look, bigger font. Hopefully they work more reliably.

I noticed this on the #4 today:

The language, "consultation," is different from the website which says "information" so I am totally confused if they are still gathering input to the 2018 network. This seems like about the 4th or 5th round of consultation. At some point you just need to make a decision and go with it and revisit any changes in 2019.

Actually, just checking the website it says the sessions are postponed (compare to cached version):
"Our public information centres have been postponed. New dates will be posted soon."

Many of those signs in buses aren't updated regularly. if you look at some they still have "Fall Service Changes Start September 4th See grt.ca for more details" as the sign. Others are still from ION construction.

RE: Grand River Transit - trainspotter139 - 01-30-2018

Hmmm...
Quote:Paying your fare is fair - GRT.ca

Everyone needs to pay to ride GRT.

Transit Enforcement may check your fare.

Keep your valid transfer, pass, or EasyGO fare card nearby.

Fare evasion is a crime. A warning or ban from GRT (by-law 13-050) may be issued if you cannot produce your fare, and even stiffer penalties will be applied against repeat offenders.

RE: Grand River Transit - jeremyroman - 01-30-2018

(01-30-2018, 02:05 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Hmmm...
Quote:Paying your fare is fair - GRT.ca

Everyone needs to pay to ride GRT.

Transit Enforcement may check your fare.

Keep your valid transfer, pass, or EasyGO fare card nearby.

Fare evasion is a crime. A warning or ban from GRT (by-law 13-050) may be issued if you cannot produce your fare, and even stiffer penalties will be applied against repeat offenders.

Does this mean they intend to do fare inspection on buses (even though the driver already does that at boarding)? Requiring all passengers using tickets or cash to obtain a transfer from the slow machines, even if they are not connecting on to another bus, seems like a recipe for slowing down boarding.

RE: Grand River Transit - timio - 01-30-2018

Even slower when you're paying for multiple passengers on one card (bus only).