Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - chutten - 03-14-2018

To be clear for those just skimming the summaries, all of this phone-based stuff is orders of magnitude trickier than "just" allowing EasyGO Fare Card (goodness, I'm already getting tired of typing that whole thing) stored values and fare products on Presto and vice versa. Or accepting Presto stored values on GRT terminals (and vice versa). Those are totally things that can be done with available technology and minimal configuration -today-.

And we all have views about how likely we think that is to happen anytime soon.

In my opinion I do not expect contactless support or Presto interoperability (beyond the easyGO Fare Card's connect-to-GO flag) for the next, say, two years. Maybe vocal ideation about it, but no implementations.

(my reasoning being contactless support would cannibalize GRT's stored-value easyGO Fare Card market at lower margins, and Presto has shown no (public) interest in interoperability with the easyGO Fare Card)

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 03-14-2018

(03-14-2018, 09:05 AM)chutten Wrote: (my reasoning being contactless support would cannibalize GRT's stored-value easyGO Fare Card market at lower margins, and Presto has shown no (public) interest in interoperability with the easyGO Fare Card)

Easy way around that. If you tap Presto and or/credit/interac/apple pay/google pay card, charge the full $3.25 cash price, and if you tap EasyGo, you get the discounted ticket price (Which I believe is now $2.76). If you use it more than a couple times a year, its makes it worth it to get a easy-go card for most people.

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 03-14-2018

(03-13-2018, 11:49 AM)KevinT Wrote: Why is that an issue for Android?  Because the mobile would have to emulate a card of its own, with a unique identity, stored value, and transaction history that's completely independent of your physical Presto card.  You couldn't start a trip on one and then continue with the other.

This is how Suica/PASMO works with phones, too: once you enable your phone, the card no longer works. You can't have two "cards" with the same identity.

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 03-14-2018

(03-13-2018, 07:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Possibly, I don't know the implementation details of Oyster, but at least here, card processors have moved to online processors.  All the payment terminals we have are online.

Payment by paper charge slips is still possible here, too. It's what our company's limo service, for example, uses.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinT - 03-14-2018

(03-14-2018, 09:05 AM)chutten Wrote: In my opinion I do not expect contactless support or Presto interoperability (beyond the easyGO Fare Card's connect-to-GO flag) for the next, say, two years. Maybe vocal ideation about it, but no implementations.

I wasn't suggesting that the two be combined, I was using Presto as an example of the limitations involved in adding mobile support to easyGO, since I'm more familiar with the Presto implementation than I am with easyGO's.  Its still too new.  :-)

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 03-14-2018

An update on the beta program has been promised to come in on Monday (the 19th). Presumably letting us now when the transition to full service will be...?

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 03-14-2018

(03-14-2018, 11:07 AM)KevinL Wrote: An update on the beta program has been promised to come in on Monday (the 19th). Presumably letting us now when the transition to full service will be...?

Or they're opening the online portal to beta users.

The grteasygofarecard.ca site is offline... Showing a 404 error.

(03-14-2018, 12:46 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: The grteasygofarecard.ca site is offline... Showing a 404 error.

Ugh, why not just easygo.ca?  (Unless that's already in use for a laxative...)

Edit to add: It's not, I checked.

Looks like it was registered in 2008, but expired a few weeks ago

Domain Information
Domain: easygo.ca
Registrar: Namespro Solutions Inc.
Registration Date: 2008-03-05
Expiration Date: 2018-03-05
Updated Date: 2018-03-06
Name Servers:
ns1.bodis.com
ns2.bodis.com

RE: Grand River Transit - trainspotter139 - 03-14-2018

(03-14-2018, 03:21 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 12:46 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: The grteasygofarecard.ca site is offline... Showing a 404 error.

Ugh, why not just easygo.ca?  (Unless that's already in use for a laxative...)

Edit to add:  It's not, I checked.

farecard.grt.ca would be much better tbh. the site also needed a facelift to match GRT's new website design standards

(03-14-2018, 03:50 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Looks like it was registered in 2008, but expired a few weeks ago

Domain Information
Domain: easygo.ca
Registrar: Namespro Solutions Inc.
Registration Date: 2008-03-05
Expiration Date: 2018-03-05
Updated Date: 2018-03-06
Name Servers:
ns1.bodis.com
ns2.bodis.com

Thanks, I tried to claim it to put a redirect on it (I'd turn it over to GRT gratis if they asked) but my guy tells me that redemption status means that the previous owner still has some time to reclaim it before anyone else can.  I've got a watch on it now, maybe I can still get it if GRT (or a laxative company) doesn't already have a watch of their on it.

RE: Grand River Transit - ijmorlan - 03-14-2018

(03-14-2018, 04:12 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 03:21 PM)KevinT Wrote: Ugh, why not just easygo.ca?  (Unless that's already in use for a laxative...)

Edit to add:  It's not, I checked.

farecard.grt.ca would be much better tbh. the site also needed a facelift to match GRT's new website design standards

Yes, I don’t know why people think every little thing their organization does needs a separate top-level domain. It really makes much more sense for an organization to pick a single canonical top-level domain and decree that all projects of the organization get a sub-domain (or even just a directory e.g. https://grt.ca/easygo).

RE: Grand River Transit - yige_t - 03-15-2018

ION Bus launch is next Monday, May 19 from 9-11am at Ainslie Terminal. Goodies will be available (first come first served).

I won't make it but expect all nine to be gradually put into service on Cambridge routes very soon.

RE: Grand River Transit - Canard - 03-15-2018

That's really unfortunate, I was hoping they'd have some kind of mini Launch Party on a Saturday or something.