Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - Pheidippides - 03-29-2018

(03-29-2018, 08:30 PM)KevinL Wrote: I've just heard that the 205, the Ottawa street iXpress, will be getting an early launch in one month's time - April 30. Unexpected, but very welcome!

I thought that was the plan since August 2017

and 

confirmed in January 2018.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 03-29-2018

Somehow I hadn't realized that was the official intention. Thanks for clarifying!

RE: Grand River Transit - Pheidippides - 04-03-2018

Great way to start the day today, I got to ride on one of the new buses (#200 NB from Charles).

It was pretty cool to see how many people at each stop had their faces light up in excitement and actually smile when they saw the bus pull up (myself include!):

I am a little skeptical about how long the padded, fabric, headrests will last.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 04-05-2018

A friend went to the info session yesterday as well, and asked about the 205 in more detail than I did. Some specifics on its western terminus:

Quote:When it goes into Sunrise Center it is coming in by Casey's Restaurant and circle around and stop (temporarily) at the corner of the side street behind Home Depot. This is temporary until the new bus terminal is put in behind the Thai Sunrise restaurant. More buses will be serving in Sunrise Center by Fall as some of the other routes are reconfigured.

RE: Grand River Transit - timio - 04-05-2018

Makes sense that it doesn't try to use the main road through Sunrise Centre. The stop placement is closer to the residential neighbourhoods in the area. I'm assuming there's a stop at Ottawa and Fischer Hallman as well?

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 04-05-2018

Yes, the westbound is a bit back from the intersection due to the turn lane, it's in front of the daycare; eastbound will be by the Tim Hortons plaza (shelter isn't in yet, but I saw survey markers the other day).

RE: Grand River Transit - Pheidippides - 04-06-2018

I asked GRT why some of the real-time bus information displays had not been installed more than two years after their purchase. This was the response:

Quote:Originally there were a number of new signs to be installed in Fall 2017 upon completion of power hookups. The signs received from the vendor were not performing to our specifications so the installations have been delayed until the issues are resolved. We are very close to resolving the last issue with the vendor. Approximately 120 signs are slated to be installed in the next three months including the Queen/Woodside location. The Queen/Woodside sign has been one of our test signs so it will be included in the first batch of installations to occur.

RE: Grand River Transit - Pheidippides - 04-09-2018

I came across the following two responses to question four on the survey about the proposed changes to the 2018 GRT network. When I read the first one I thought somebody was just having some fun until I read the second one and realized they were both actually serious responses. The language of "your bus" and "my street" is really quite divisive and entitled thinking.

Keep in mind these are coming from the same neighbourhood that fought vigorously against any kind of traffic calming in their neighbourhood.

4. Do you have any issues or concerns about the planned 2018 network that have not been addressed?

Quote:The changes/extension of Route 73 runs along streets that are home to very few, if any public transit users. The residents of the neighbourhood enjoy the woods, being at the edge of Waterloo, the quiet and calm of being out of the core areas. Running a bus through the neighbourhood damages this tranquility. Conservation drive is the main street in the area - run the bus along that road: every residential dwelling in that area can walk to Conservation drive in 2-3 minutes. It is unnecessary to have the bus run through the area. I am dead against any bus route that travels down Pinery Trail in Waterloo between Lake Louise and Rideau River. The bus will increase traffic, traffic dangers, noise, pollution and will decrease the value of real estate on the street. Children play in the front of our homes: we do not need one single more vehicle. We also know that bus drivers are not perfect and this would increase the danger. In addition, other drivers get impatient behind buses and make passing or speeding decisions that are sometimes unsafe - we do not need this increased danger. Take the bus down Conservation drive as there are no homes fronting onto that street. PLEASE DO NOT SEND THE BUS DOWN MY STREET!

Quote:We have an issue with your bus route 73 travelling along Pinery Trail. Pinery Trail is a very quiet and narrow street with very few houses. Many of these house have small children. The street is also backed by a forest creating an almost park like setting. This quiet and idealic setting would be damaged with the addition of buses and their incumbent noise and air pollution. This change would be further aggravated by the added pedestrian traffic and the inherent issue of littering. The most important of all is the issue of safety of the many children. As well trained as bus drivers undoubtedly are dealing with the unpredictability of young children cannot be overlooked. Conservation Drive offers an ideal route alternative without the inherent safety or noise concerns. issues

There are some school buses that are already travelling along this street.

RE: Grand River Transit - D40LF - 04-09-2018

Ah yes, the same old tired arguments. Copper Leaf St, Eastbridge, Westcliff Way, Doon South... some things never change...

RE: Grand River Transit - Canard - 04-09-2018

I can totally understand this - if I lived on a super quiet street in a forest-like setting, I’d hate the idea of noisy busses running up and down it.

Not everyone who likes peace and quiet is a jerk.

RE: Grand River Transit - Canard - 04-09-2018

Oh, never mind:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.49211,-80.5853231,3a,75y,65.92h,84.2t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sJVd0EebAyl_YmgLf3vMMwA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DJVd0EebAyl_YmgLf3vMMwA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D184.54688%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

RE: Grand River Transit - Pheidippides - 04-09-2018

Keep in mind the busPLUS routes aren't even standard GRT busses; they are smaller busses, not much bigger than some of the SUVs in that Google StreetView.

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 04-09-2018

Transit is a balancing act, there's some reason why Conservation Dr. is better because it's straight and would probably be faster. But putting the bus on the street with people makes for a shorter walk (and not the 2-3 minutes claimed but by 6-10 minutes) which is probably more important for this route given that the majority using it will probably be captive users, who don't have the ability to drive, few people will be choosing to ride this bus.

Of course, the reality is the bus route already travels down Conservation Dr. As I kind of expected, the route is a loop, since Conservation Dr. is a straight route, and there's nowhere to turn around:

http://www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/2018-transit-network.aspx

So it pretty much *has* to run on Pinery. The bus also already runs down Lake Louise Blvd which is a very similar residential street. It's also worth noting this bus runs 16 runs a weekday (weekdays only) (and since it's a loop, it's a total of 16 buses).

But I do agree the problem with the responses is more the attitude, as Pheidippides said, it is very divisive. I can certainly sympathize with the preferring a quiet street, but the phrasing is very dismissive to the use of the service. I also think the authors are exaggerating dangers to try and strengthen their arguments, which I hate.

RE: Grand River Transit - yige_t - 04-10-2018

Service Changes for April 30 have been posted.
http://www.grt.ca/en/service-updates/service-updates.aspx

Biggest highlight is the launch of 205 iXpress along Ottawa Street, plus later service on Sundays on the 204.

RE: Grand River Transit - chutten - 04-11-2018

Ah, yes, the annual shearing of the schedules. Not looking forward to the decreased frequencies and routes, but it's not as though it doesn't make sense to not run empty buses.