Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 08-12-2018

(08-12-2018, 04:09 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Indeed, since the site already fronts on three other streets, I can't see what difference it would make if Gaukel were pedestrianized.

Duh! Three, what am I thinking, I literally live on the third one.

RE: Grand River Transit - ijmorlan - 08-12-2018

(08-12-2018, 02:37 PM)Chicopee Wrote: Not to be 'that guy', but wouldn't it be prudent to wait and see what kind of development will take place at the existing terminal site before we consider closing roads?

Look at how Gaukel fits into the rest of the transportation network. Note that there are no left turn lanes at either end, except off of King to allow buses to get in to the terminal. It runs for two blocks, ending with a T-junction at each end. There are no driveways on Gaukel, except for a couple of parking lot entrances immediately next to Hall’s lane and of course the transit terminal. In short, it contributes almost nothing to motor vehicle connectivity, but would be a very wide and pleasant pedestrian connection if pedestrianized. As pointed out by others, the development at the terminal can use the adjacent streets on the other three sides of the site for motor vehicle access. There is no point in it connecting to Gaukel because the traffic would just have to turn off immediately onto one of 3 streets, 2 of which are adjacent to the site anyway.

I have to say, this is one case where I’m about 99.5% sure that closing it to motor vehicles is the right thing to do. There really is absolutely no downside.

RE: Grand River Transit - mpd618 - 08-12-2018

Connecting Victoria Park to the city's central public space with a pedestrianized street seems like a huge win. Yes please.

RE: Grand River Transit - Jonny - 08-12-2018

Hamilton is proposing a similar corridor on Hughson St, connecting the LRT at Gore Park to the GO Station. Not fully pedestrianized, but one way with streetscape treatments to create a pedestrian friendly space.

Here’s a link to the design documents: https://d3fpllf1m7bbt3.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/media/browser/2017-05-26/hamilton-lrt-environmental-pr-appendix-f-high-order-pedestrian-connection.pdf

I think a similar idea on Gaukel would really solidify the connection between downtown and the park. I’ll sign that petition.

RE: Grand River Transit - kitborn - 08-13-2018

My dad worked at the gas plant on Gaukel in the 50's. It looked completely different and was stinky with tar ponds and gas storage. It would look lovely as a pedestrian entrance to Victoria Park.

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 08-13-2018

I think this sounds really good. A pedestrian short, even if a fairly short one, without a significant automobile traffic impact (which in turn should make it easier to get approval). But it shouldn't be just a "park entrance", it should be an engaging pedestrian experience. To achieve that, the future plans for both sides of the lower block will be critical as the upper block has far fewer improvement options, between the hill and the existing/approved buildings.

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 08-13-2018

(08-13-2018, 10:11 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I think this sounds really good. A pedestrian short, even if a fairly short one, without a significant automobile traffic impact (which in turn should make it easier to get approval). But it shouldn't be just a "park entrance", it should be an engaging pedestrian experience. To achieve that, the future plans for both sides of the lower block will be critical as the upper block has far fewer improvement options, between the hill and the existing/approved buildings.

This would definitely help make the space even better.

The biggest problem is the topology of the road, given the hill up to the square, they feel slightly disconnected, it would be good if we could do something to connect them, and making the space engaging would go a long way to achieving that.

RE: Grand River Transit - Viewfromthe42 - 08-13-2018

None of the presence between King and Charles will have any engagement, aside from perhaps public art.

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 08-13-2018

(08-13-2018, 11:16 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: None of the presence between King and Charles will have any engagement, aside from perhaps public art.

Why not?

We have a near 20 meter right of way, not the biggest space, but only slightly narrower, and much longer than Vogelsang Green and Market Green. Plenty of room to do something engaging.  It's amazing how much space there is when we remove the need for cars.

RE: Grand River Transit - Viewfromthe42 - 08-13-2018

I am probably still thinking in terms of roadway design where we usually have a roadway haha. I meant more in the context that Pizza Pizza/the old bank/Thalmic Labs/Charlie West all ignore Gaukel, and there is no chance any of them changes.

(08-13-2018, 12:55 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 11:16 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: None of the presence between King and Charles will have any engagement, aside from perhaps public art.

Why not?

We have a near 20 meter right of way, not the biggest space, but only slightly narrower, and much longer than Vogelsang Green and Market Green. Plenty of room to do something engaging.  It's amazing how much space there is when we remove the need for cars.

Right. There is easily room for some green space and/or patios there. More options between Charles and Joseph, but this part is not a write-off, either.

RE: Grand River Transit - robdrimmie - 08-13-2018

There may be a small hitch with Heartwood Place (http://www.heartwoodplace.ca, 19 Gaukel, the nondescript apartment building beside Thalmic) and access for moving vehicles etc. The catch is only that Hall's Lane is one way (southeast only) between Water and Ontario. There seems to be enough room to change that restriction, however.

(08-13-2018, 02:58 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: There may be a small hitch with Heartwood Place (http://www.heartwoodplace.ca, 19 Gaukel, the nondescript apartment building beside Thalmic) and access for moving vehicles etc. The catch is only that Hall's Lane is one way (southeast only) between Water and Ontario. There seems to be enough room to change that restriction, however.

What's the problem with being on a one-way street?

RE: Grand River Transit - robdrimmie - 08-13-2018

(08-13-2018, 03:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote: What's the problem with being on a one-way street?

My understanding of the notion being discussed is that it would close Gaukel to traffic between King and Joseph. Hall's Lane currently runs one way from Gaukel (between King and Charles) to Ontario. If you close Gaukel without changing Hall's Lane to two-way there is no (legal) way to enter it from Ontario. If it stays one way but the direction is reversed, there is no way to get out once you're in.

I looked into it because I was curious how folks in the apartments would access parking (though it doesn't look like there is any), or get large trucks close by to move in or out, and didn't really describe the situation well, I am sorry for being confusing. It's a very small change that would be required, but it's one that does need to be noted for our theoretical planning session.

(08-13-2018, 04:16 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(08-13-2018, 03:53 PM)tomh009 Wrote: What's the problem with being on a one-way street?

My understanding of the notion being discussed is that it would close Gaukel to traffic between King and Joseph. Hall's Lane currently runs one way from Gaukel (between King and Charles) to Ontario. If you close Gaukel without changing Hall's Lane to two-way there is no (legal) way to enter it from Ontario. If it stays one way but the direction is reversed, there is no way to get out once you're in.

I looked into it because I was curious how folks in the apartments would access parking (though it doesn't look like there is any), or get large trucks close by to move in or out, and didn't really describe the situation well, I am sorry for being confusing. It's a very small change that would be required, but it's one that does need to be noted for our theoretical planning session.

It continues from Gaukel St to Water St, so there would still be access, albeit only from one direction.

There is also some commercial parking on Hall's Lane.