Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 08-29-2018

(08-29-2018, 11:34 AM)KevinL Wrote: I do personally carry a charging cable with me, mainly due to my heavy phone usage (particularly when I'm traveling). Not everyone has the same usage patterns, but this is helpful for those who need it.

I know some people do, I'm more asking if we have any data on how these are actually used.  I've not seen them used outside of an airport myself, but that's merely an anecdote.

That being said, I have had cause to need additional power on the go, I usually bring one of those power packs with me.

RE: Grand River Transit - timc - 08-29-2018

(08-29-2018, 12:31 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Are those right angle gates on both sides of the rerouted Laurel trail?

We're re-routing the Laurel Trail? :-(

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 08-29-2018

(08-29-2018, 01:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 12:12 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 30-minute intervals are not unusual in the evening.

The cost of USB charging ports is minimal, I don't see why this would be a bad idea.

What is the cost?

Do you know specifically?  I don't know, but I wouldn't assume it's minimal.  Obviously I can buy a USB charger and plug it into an outlet for about 20 bucks (for a high quality one).  But this doesn't include the cost of additional wiring of the circuits, and further consumer costs are not in any way related to commercial/industrial costs.  I could easily see this adding thousands to a contract.

$33 for a four-port receptacle.
https://store.leviton.com/collections/usb-outlets/products/4-2-amp-high-speed-4-port-usb-charger-usb4p

Standard 110V electrical wiring does not take long for a competent electrician. If we pay thousands for it, I've clearly chosen the wrong career.

(08-29-2018, 03:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 01:42 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: What is the cost?

Do you know specifically?  I don't know, but I wouldn't assume it's minimal.  Obviously I can buy a USB charger and plug it into an outlet for about 20 bucks (for a high quality one).  But this doesn't include the cost of additional wiring of the circuits, and further consumer costs are not in any way related to commercial/industrial costs.  I could easily see this adding thousands to a contract.

$33 for a four-port receptacle.
https://store.leviton.com/collections/usb-outlets/products/4-2-amp-high-speed-4-port-usb-charger-usb4p

Standard 110V electrical wiring does not take long for a competent electrician. If we pay thousands for it, I've clearly chosen the wrong career.

I believe you are vastly underestimating the overhead. It costs us thousands to get a LAN drop installed in my building.  While it may be my opinion that it is way over priced that is still the cost .

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 08-29-2018

(08-29-2018, 03:29 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 03:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote: $33 for a four-port receptacle.

I believe you are vastly underestimating the overhead. It costs us thousands to get a LAN drop installed in my building.  While it may be my opinion that it is way over priced that is still the cost .

110V power is already in the structure, likely within a metre or two of the USB location. Connecting two 110V wires takes seconds. Compare that to say, 50m of CAT6 cable, running it through ceilings and/or walls, and crimping RJ-45 connecters at both ends. It's not the same.

But we can agree to disagree on this.

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 08-29-2018

(08-29-2018, 03:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 03:29 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I believe you are vastly underestimating the overhead. It costs us thousands to get a LAN drop installed in my building.  While it may be my opinion that it is way over priced that is still the cost .

110V power is already in the structure, likely within a metre or two of the USB location. Connecting two 110V wires takes seconds. Compare that to say, 50m of CAT6 cable, running it through ceilings and/or walls, and crimping RJ-45 connecters at both ends. It's not the same.

To be fair, what would cost us 100 dollars in parts and 10 minutes of time would cost the government at least 5k if not more. Got to love government waste.

(08-29-2018, 06:09 PM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(08-29-2018, 03:47 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 110V power is already in the structure, likely within a metre or two of the USB location. Connecting two 110V wires takes seconds. Compare that to say, 50m of CAT6 cable, running it through ceilings and/or walls, and crimping RJ-45 connecters at both ends. It's not the same.

To be fair, what would cost us 100 dollars in parts and 10 minutes of time would cost the government at least 5k if not more. Got to love government waste.

I agree, prices are over inflated, but I don't think it's "government" waste...it's the cost of industrial work.  The private corporation I work for would and does pay the same cost.

RE: Grand River Transit - trainspotter139 - 08-29-2018

Route 61 returns to it's standard routing (Fountain St all the way from Conestoga College Cambridge Campus to King St in Preston) on Monday (technically Tuesday due to Labour Day)

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 09-05-2018

Waiting for the 7 at Laurier, I noticed a 202 go past with a destination sign that said conestoga station instead of conestoga mall like the 12 behind it had.

RE: Grand River Transit - Spokes - 09-06-2018

(09-05-2018, 05:19 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Waiting for the 7 at Laurier, I noticed a 202 go past with a destination sign that said conestoga station instead of conestoga mall like the 12 behind it had.

Is that the official Ion station name?

RE: Grand River Transit - trainspotter139 - 09-06-2018

(09-06-2018, 06:48 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 05:19 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Waiting for the 7 at Laurier, I noticed a 202 go past with a destination sign that said conestoga station instead of conestoga mall like the 12 behind it had.

Is that the official Ion station name?

It is. Of note the revised Route 10 inbound to Fairview Park says "10 PIONEER to Fairway Stn.  via Mill Park" or "10A PIONEER to Fairway Stn. via Old Carriage".

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 09-06-2018

Moved trail discussion to the trail thread ...

RE: Grand River Transit - chutten - 09-06-2018

Speaking of trails :D in the past week or so, next to the trailhead at Waterloo Park at the Waterloo Park/Laurier ION Station (on the South side of Seagram Dr just West of the tracks, in other words) workers poured a concrete pad that bears a remarkable similarity in form and feature to a GRT bus shelter pad.

They also dug out the boulevarding sod and poured in the gap, which is consistent with the pad serving a bus shelter.

This suggests to me that the GRT is planning on directing bus service Eastbound along Seagram in the "near" future. Which is odd since the notable absence of bus routes servicing Laurier-Waterloo Park Station has been a perpetual concern of this forum about all transit plans we've seen published.

Maybe it's to serve only a temporary detour routing for some forthcoming road closures or somesuch?

RE: Grand River Transit - timc - 09-06-2018

I noticed that last week too. I'm not aware of any plans for a bus route, on Seagram, despite how much sense it might make. Maybe one of the universities is planning a shuttle service?

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 09-06-2018

(09-06-2018, 04:11 PM)timc Wrote: I noticed that last week too. I'm not aware of any plans for a bus route, on Seagram, despite how much sense it might make. Maybe one of the universities is planning a shuttle service?

While speaking with the transportation staff at one point there was a suggestion that this pad existed in the event of an LRT shutdown to service replacement bus service .