Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - chutten - 02-15-2019

(02-15-2019, 12:45 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: News on the fare card

https://www.grt.ca/en/fares-passes/easygo-fare-card-launch.aspx

Also interesting
Quote:GRT and GRT agents will stop selling paper passes and tickets during the month of May.
Quote:Paper tickets must be used up before the start of ION light rail service.

Confirmed that ION isn't starting until after May?

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 02-15-2019

As for reload options, I got this response on Twitter:

RE: Grand River Transit - Spokes - 02-15-2019

Will the EasyGO card be able to be used with Presto readers, or no overlap?

RE: Grand River Transit - trainspotter139 - 02-15-2019

(02-15-2019, 01:43 PM)Spokes Wrote: Will the EasyGO card be able to be used with Presto readers, or no overlap?

No overlap.

Darn. Thanks

Has anyone tried out the 903 flex program that GRT is running?

RE: Grand River Transit - trainspotter139 - 02-15-2019

According to the Budget Committee Agenda for the February 19th meeting:

Quote:Total GRT fare revenue in 2018 was $36.8 million, which was $2.7 million higher than the 2018 budget. The preliminary 2019 GRT fare revenue base budget has been increased by approximately $1.8 million to $35.8 million.  Incremental fare revenue of $3 million has been included in the ION Light Rail Transit 2019 operating budget, bringing total budgeted transit system revenue to $38.8 million.

Despite the increase in revenue in 2018, staff are recommending a 3% fare increase to be made effective Sept 1, 2019.

RE: Grand River Transit - panamaniac - 02-15-2019

(02-15-2019, 05:18 PM)K The trainspotter139 Wrote: According to the Budget Committee Agenda for the February 19th meeting:

Quote:Total GRT fare revenue in 2018 was $36.8 million, which was $2.7 million higher than the 2018 budget. The preliminary 2019 GRT fare revenue base budget has been increased by approximately $1.8 million to $35.8 million.  Incremental fare revenue of $3 million has been included in the ION Light Rail Transit 2019 operating budget, bringing total budgeted transit system revenue to $38.8 million.

Despite the increase in revenue in 2018, staff are recommending a 3% fare increase to be made effective Sept 1, 2019.
Still progressing toward a target recovery rate?

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 02-15-2019

(02-15-2019, 06:49 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 05:18 PM)K The trainspotter139 Wrote: According to the Budget Committee Agenda for the February 19th meeting:

Still progressing toward a target recovery rate?

"As reported in the February 6, 2019 Public Transit budget information paper, GRT customer price elasticity is generally such that a 1% change in price results in a 0.3% change in ridership. In an environment of service improvements, this decrease would be experienced simply as a minor reduction to the overall rate of ridership increase. Experience has also shown that elasticity may be higher when considering fare increases greater than 5%. "

So they're willing to sacrifice 1% of ridership....in a year of ridership growth...and low gas prices, low tax hikes, and flat parking fees, 

*sigh*...idiocy..."Experience has also shown that elasticity may be higher when considering fare increases greater than 5%."  I wonder if staff realize that people, unlike, umm...I dunno, staff logic, does not reset yearly...a 3% hike 3 years in a row is a 9% fare hike, double the amount that risks "increased elasticity"...

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 02-15-2019

Further to my farecard-reload inquiries, the P&W agenda indicates:

Quote:Four other Regional facilities are being prepared with Attended Add Value Machines (150 Main Street in Cambridge, 150 Frederick Street and 235 King Street in Kitchener and 99 Regina Street in Waterloo). Due to the physical size of the Attended Add Value machines and changes in operations and space available at many retail locations, the planned devices are not suitable for many retail outlets and an alternate device is being pursued.

Fare Vending Machines are also planned to be located at conventional transit terminals including Cambridge Centre Terminal, Ainslie Street Terminal. Installation of these devices is planned for the summer.
In my mind it would be good to have more vending machines at terminals like The Boardwalk, too. And I hope they find a retail solution before too many complaints from entrenched ticket- and pass-buyers stack up.

RE: Grand River Transit - plam - 02-16-2019

(02-15-2019, 12:45 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: News on the fare card

https://www.grt.ca/en/fares-passes/easygo-fare-card-launch.aspx
Quote:GRT’s new EasyGO fare card will be available starting March 1.

Finally! I've been scanning every once in a while for that. Thanks for posting!

Hmm. Paper tickets must be used up before the start of ION light rail. What does that mean about ION launch?

RE: Grand River Transit - Canard - 02-16-2019

That's a very short overlap window, especially for occasional users like myself! They should at least offer a trade-in programme, where the value of the tickets can be loaded onto a card, if they're only going to give people a couple of months to use them up.

RE: Grand River Transit - plam - 02-16-2019

(02-16-2019, 08:25 AM)Canard Wrote: That's a very short overlap window, especially for occasional users like myself!  They should at least offer a trade-in programme, where the value of the tickets can be loaded onto a card, if they're only going to give people a couple of months to use them up.

I mean, we hope it's a short window!

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 02-16-2019

(02-16-2019, 09:49 AM)plam Wrote:
(02-16-2019, 08:25 AM)Canard Wrote: That's a very short overlap window, especially for occasional users like myself!  They should at least offer a trade-in programme, where the value of the tickets can be loaded onto a card, if they're only going to give people a couple of months to use them up.

I mean, we hope it's a short window!

Took the words out of my mouth.

It totally agree though. I've got about two strips of tickets, but my riding is really bursty.  If it's a quiet time I might not use two strips in two months.

RE: Grand River Transit - Canard - 02-16-2019

I mean, from memory I think the TTC had many years of overlap...

I guess they won't want people using the current design of GRT tickets on ION (since ticket-checking will be sporadic so you could arguably have a free ride by just hanging on to your ticket and using it again...), but I don't see any reason why they can't continue to accept them in the little tube-with-slot on busses for a year or two.