Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - Canard - 03-06-2019

Awesome!

Now the hardest decision... get a card now, or wait until ion launch, when there might be a “special edition” card with an LRV pictogram on it? Big Grin

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 03-06-2019

(03-06-2019, 05:42 PM)Canard Wrote: Awesome!

Now the hardest decision... get a card now, or wait until ion launch, when there might be a “special edition” card with an LRV pictogram on it? Big Grin

While I would definitely bet against there being a "special edition" card, simple answer is why not both Tongue...

I find it is occasionally handy to have extra transit passes for family or other guests, and when we have an LRT, I might even succeed in getting my family on transit.

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 03-06-2019

(03-06-2019, 04:28 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Yes.  I had like 2 reduced tickets left over from when dad was up to visit a couple of years ago. I wonder if they will add the price to a normal adult card (pro rated of course)

They confirmed on Twitter they will merge both normal and reduced on the same card if you have a mix.

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 03-07-2019

(03-06-2019, 06:07 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 05:42 PM)Canard Wrote: Now the hardest decision... get a card now, or wait until ion launch, when there might be a “special edition” card with an LRV pictogram on it? Big Grin

While I would definitely bet against there being a "special edition" card, simple answer is why not both Tongue...

We could always make special WRC "launch edition" ID card labels (with the ION graphics!), and just apply those on top of the standard fare card. Big Grin

RE: Grand River Transit - Spokes - 03-07-2019

Now you're talking!

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 03-08-2019

Got my EasyGO fare card, very excited, and very happy to dig the half dozen folded crunched bus tickets out of my wallets and pockets.

Setting up the website account, usability is about as terrible as expected, like, amazingly bad, error messages are unclear and unhelpful, the user interface is poorly designed, and user feedback is limited, the security is weak with traditional and flawed password requirements, and security questions, of which you must enter at least one "favourite"...which I hate.

And that's all on the signup page, since I cannot seem to register since I get the error "The Card is not issued." and I don't know what that means or how to fix it, but I figure waiting might help.

The package included with the card is actually quite good, informative and helpful.

Oh, it does make clear that you will be charged 10x what you would be charged for exactly the same crime if you commit it while using a private car:

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 03-08-2019

Fare evasion using a private car?

(03-08-2019, 11:05 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Fare evasion using a private car?

A parking ticket...it's exactly the same, you're evading the fare to use the parking space.

RE: Grand River Transit - ijmorlan - 03-08-2019

(03-08-2019, 11:22 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 11:05 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Fare evasion using a private car?

A parking ticket...it's exactly the same, you're evading the fare to use the parking space.

I like that framing. Hadn’t really thought of it that way before.

The only caveat I would have is that in both cases slight overstaying must be penalized much less, or in extreme cases, not at all. There is a fundamental ethical difference between buying parking or a transit fare and staying parked or continuing to ride for 15 minutes after the paid-for time, and just not paying in the first place.

RE: Grand River Transit - trainspotter139 - 03-08-2019

(03-08-2019, 01:30 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 11:22 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: A parking ticket...it's exactly the same, you're evading the fare to use the parking space.

I like that framing. Hadn’t really thought of it that way before.

The only caveat I would have is that in both cases slight overstaying must be penalized much less, or in extreme cases, not at all. There is a fundamental ethical difference between buying parking or a transit fare and staying parked or continuing to ride for 15 minutes after the paid-for time, and just not paying in the first place.

In the case of transit overstaying isn't as much of a problem as overstaying your parking spot.

RE: Grand River Transit - jason897 - 03-08-2019

(03-08-2019, 10:29 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I cannot seem to register since I get the error "The Card is not issued." and I don't know what that means or how to fix it, but I figure waiting might help.

I had that too on the evening I got the card. Waited until the night after and it went through. Seems they really need to make that clearer that there would likely be a delay. And maybe have a form to check the card serial number before having to fill everything else out. 
I remember even the lady at the ticket desk encouraged me to register it 'when I get home'

(03-08-2019, 07:29 PM)jason897 Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 10:29 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I cannot seem to register since I get the error "The Card is not issued." and I don't know what that means or how to fix it, but I figure waiting might help.

I had that too on the evening I got the card. Waited until the night after and it went through. Seems they really need to make that clearer that there would likely be a delay. And maybe have a form to check the card serial number before having to fill everything else out. 
I remember even the lady at the ticket desk encouraged me to register it 'when I get home'

Yeah, who knows.  I went back to Charles Terminal as I found another bus ticket, (interestingly, they'll only add money in increments of $10, it isn't just a requirement for getting a new card), and the agent there told me the whole system is down right now. So yeah, totally smooth launch.

I'm not shocked by this, I saw a pre-production version of the site a few months back from a beta tester and it didn't look good, but hey, we actually have our fare card, London has been failing to launch theirs for about 5 years now, no exaggeration.

RE: Grand River Transit - jason897 - 03-14-2019

(02-21-2019, 06:34 PM)Canard Wrote:  Is there an ION logo on it?

Close enough?  Big Grin

RE: Grand River Transit - Bob_McBob - 03-14-2019

Bendy buses coming to Waterloo Region in 2021

Quote:WATERLOO REGION — A new kind of bus will be plying the streets of Waterloo Region when Grand River Transit introduces articulated buses in two years.

The buses, sometimes called "bendy buses," are longer than the conventional 12-metre (40-foot) bus, and have an accordionlike hinge that allows the longer vehicle to get around corners. The 18.2-metre (60-foot) buses can accommodate 112 passengers, 62 of them in seats, compared to 80 passengers, 41 of them in seats, in standard buses. As well, riders can board at the rear of the bigger buses, which reduces the amount of time at a stop.

The buses will serve busy routes along University Avenue and Fischer-Hallman Road, where buses are often jam-packed during rush hours. About 4,700 riders take the University Avenue bus and 5,400 ride on Fischer-Hallman buses every weekday, said Neil Malcolm, Grand River Transit's assistant director of transit services.

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 03-14-2019

Interesting that the article states the routes they will be on will be used as POP vs. Driver validation