Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 03-14-2019

I was quite surprised by how expensive they are. They're actually more expensive per passenger than a standard bus.

Sad that we are still not buying hybrid or EV buses.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinT - 03-14-2019

(03-14-2019, 08:31 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Interesting that the article states the routes they will be on will be used as POP vs. Driver validation

Proof of payment allows for all door boarding, greatly reducing dwell times if properly taken advantage of by the travelling public.

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 03-14-2019

(03-14-2019, 09:46 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 08:31 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Interesting that the article states the routes they will be on will be used as POP vs. Driver validation

Proof of payment allows for all door boarding, greatly reducing dwell times if properly taken advantage of by the travelling public.

Is the only line "As well, riders can board at the rear of the bigger buses, which reduces the amount of time at a stop."

The reason we believe there is POP?

That doesn't seem such a strong statement, I could believe it was a miscue--maybe they meant deboarding.  IIRC this has been proposed to staff and not really taken with much gusto before.

RE: Grand River Transit - trainspotter139 - 03-14-2019

(03-14-2019, 09:20 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I was quite surprised by how expensive they are.  They're actually more expensive per passenger than a standard bus.

Sad that we are still not buying hybrid or EV buses.
6 hybrids are on order for 2023 arrival

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 03-15-2019

(03-14-2019, 10:16 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 09:46 PM)KevinT Wrote: Proof of payment allows for all door boarding, greatly reducing dwell times if properly taken advantage of by the travelling public.

Is the only line "As well, riders can board at the rear of the bigger buses, which reduces the amount of time at a stop."

That doesn't seem such a strong statement, I could believe it was a miscue--maybe they meant deboarding.  IIRC this has been proposed to staff and not really taken with much gusto before.

Well it is possible they misquoted or misunderstood their GRT contact. Or it is possible they will go POP on that vehicle (other cities have done it on certain routes) I guess we will find out for sure when they enter service.

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 03-15-2019

(03-15-2019, 12:44 AM)bgb_ca Wrote:
(03-14-2019, 10:16 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Is the only line "As well, riders can board at the rear of the bigger buses, which reduces the amount of time at a stop."

Well it is possible they misquoted or misunderstood their GRT contact. Or it is possible they will go POP on that vehicle (other cities have done it on certain routes) I guess we will find out for sure when they enter service.

Yeah, my guess is they don't really know what they'll do right now.  But our transportation department does seem to prefer to be reactionary.

And perhaps EVs are on order, they aren't mentioned in the article however.

RE: Grand River Transit - Spokes - 03-15-2019

(03-14-2019, 09:46 PM)KevinT Wrote:

I'm curious to see how long it takes our riders to adapt to this practice.  You'd think it'd be easy but theres a bit of a learning curve or behavior adjustment for whatever reason

RE: Grand River Transit - Watdot - 03-15-2019

I'm curious how these will work with the new segregated bike lanes they are establishing on University Ave. Not to mention the crappy sidewalks and bus stops currently on the street.
Appreciate the GRT is moving forward and planning, but there's other infrastructure issues that need to be updated first to make sure things work properly.

RE: Grand River Transit - Bob_McBob - 03-15-2019

Well they do have two years... University Ave is supposed to be undergoing a pretty major transformation, no?

RE: Grand River Transit - timc - 03-15-2019

Is it?

RE: Grand River Transit - Watdot - 03-15-2019

(03-15-2019, 10:35 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Well they do have two years... University Ave is supposed to be undergoing a pretty major transformation, no?

There was public consultations and the last update was a year ago, see HERE. So far there have been no drafts and no news. I highly doubt University Ave will be reconstructed within two years. We haven't seen drafts let along debated over them! Wink

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 03-15-2019

(03-15-2019, 10:52 AM)Watdot Wrote:
(03-15-2019, 10:35 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Well they do have two years... University Ave is supposed to be undergoing a pretty major transformation, no?

There was public consultations and the last update was a year ago, see HERE.  So far there have been no drafts and no news.  I highly doubt University Ave will be reconstructed within two years.  We haven't seen drafts let along debated over them!  Wink

There's actually a new survey about the "reimagining" asking the same questions...again on engageWR.

I answered almost the same way I did before basically saying "stop asking me this, the problem is the road is unsafe and dangerous for peds, cyclists, and transit riders, fix that please".

Only this time I was less polite asking "you already asked me this BS, and I think it was made clear, what progress has been made".

https://www.engagewr.ca/university-avenue-gateway

To answer the specific question, University Ave will *not* be reimagined before the artics are running, *but*, they probably will mesh just as well with the infra as the standard buses, they're going to have to have breaks in the segregation already for the bus stops, I believe.

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 03-18-2019

Anyone have any theories as to what "Actionlist Entry performed ACT. FUNCTION" means?

Definitely a contender for worst UX award.

RE: Grand River Transit - trainspotter139 - 03-18-2019

Changes coming to Route 76 for September Service Changes which will see the route split into two routes. The new route 36 will use larger conventional buses every 30 minutes as opposed to the smaller busPLUS buses currently in use. Route 76 will also get midday service

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 03-18-2019

(03-18-2019, 11:01 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Changes coming to Route 76 for September Service Changes which will see the route split into two routes. The new route 36 will use larger conventional buses every 30 minutes as opposed to the smaller busPLUS buses currently in use. Route 76 will also get midday service

Does this mean the routes ridership has grown to exceed that of the smaller vans?

That would be great news.