Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 05-03-2019

(05-03-2019, 11:39 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Conestoga College's u-pass agreement has been cancelled because it wasn't formalized before the new rules about mandatory student fees came into effect.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/9335429-conestoga-s-student-bus-pass-cancelled/

Jesus Christ, the bleeding just won't stop.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 05-03-2019

Does this mean the new Doon terminal may not get built?

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 05-03-2019

(05-03-2019, 12:46 PM)KevinL Wrote: Does this mean the new Doon terminal may not get built?

According to the Record, that's proceeding as planned.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 05-03-2019

Oh, good.

RE: Grand River Transit - Spokes - 05-07-2019

I thought the new student fees rules couldn't touch u pass?

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 05-07-2019

(05-07-2019, 07:10 AM)Spokes Wrote: I thought the new student fees rules couldn't touch u pass?

They couldn't touch existing agreements, the Conestoga college agreement was a new agreement, not signed before the new rules came in.

Sadly, we have an incompetent government, which is going to lead to bad policy.

RE: Grand River Transit - robdrimmie - 05-07-2019

I had a really nice experience with the GRT fare card yesterday. I had been avoiding reloading the value on my card until the month-end turnover ended and credit card processing was working again etc, so I didn't get around to doing it until early Monday morning. I had about $4 in value remaining, so my morning fare was fine. I was hopeful the afternoon bus would have gotten updated but no luck. Fortunately though, the system allowed me to go into debt by $1.24 which was cool. I have dug a small bit but I can't figure out what the rules around that sort of overdraft.

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 05-07-2019

(05-07-2019, 11:53 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I had a really nice experience with the GRT fare card yesterday. I had been avoiding reloading the value on my card until the month-end turnover ended and credit card processing was working again etc, so I didn't get around to doing it until early Monday morning. I had about $4 in value remaining, so my morning fare was fine. I was hopeful the afternoon bus would have gotten updated but no luck. Fortunately though, the system allowed me to go into debt by $1.24 which was cool. I have dug a small bit but I can't figure out what the rules around that sort of overdraft.

It allows you to tap once if you have a balance of 0.01 or more. If you already used your grace tap it won't let you tap again. (Except for a transfer in their policy). When the reload happens it will subtract the overage from that.

RE: Grand River Transit - robdrimmie - 05-07-2019

That's great to know, thank you. I've always paid cash when I knew for certain I didn't have enough value, I'll always try that grace tap from now on. That's a nice thing, I'm glad they did that.

RE: Grand River Transit - timio - 05-07-2019

Presto is similar.

RE: Grand River Transit - nms - 05-08-2019

What are GRT's plans to address those for whom loading an EasyGo card is not easy? For instance any of the following:
- no bank account
- limited language skills
- developmental disability

I am aware of several places that were able to distribute individual tickets to those in immediate need for single trips, as well as someone who is working with someone who meets all three of the above criteria. EasyGo is not easy for them.

RE: Grand River Transit - timio - 05-08-2019

I believe they are looking at single use tickets. Presto is rolling out 2 ride paper tickets in Toronto for this purpose (and more).

RE: Grand River Transit - urbd - 05-08-2019

(05-08-2019, 12:26 AM)nms Wrote: What are GRT's plans to address those for whom loading an EasyGo card is not easy? For instance any of the following:
- no bank account
- limited language skills
- developmental disability

I am aware of several places that were able to distribute individual tickets to those in immediate need for single trips, as well as someone who is working with someone who meets all three of the above criteria. EasyGo is not easy for them.

I sent these comments to some contacts that work at GRT. Very important.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 05-08-2019

There are already paper EasyGo passes with a limited number of rides loaded. They are dispensed at the Ion-platform machines; presumably they will become available elsewhere.

RE: Grand River Transit - Bob_McBob - 05-08-2019

GRT network changes are scheduled to start on June 24, the Monday following the launch of ION.

https://www.grt.ca/en/about-grt/ion-events.aspx