Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinT - 05-16-2019

(05-01-2019, 10:20 AM)KevinT Wrote: So I should probably wait a week before heading down to get my Connect to GO flag set?

Also, it makes no sense that that flag has to be specifically set on a card, or that they didn't just make the system so that you can tap both cards together at transfer points.  I do development work with card readers that support Mifare and related card systems and they'll easily power up and individually address two cards in the field at the same time.  Even without knowing the Presto keys, they should at least be able to detect that a card has Presto on it by reading each card's Mifare Application Directly.  It's just software...

I went to the Charles Street Terminal on Monday after work to get my Connect to GO flag set, and after waiting in line for 20 minutes I get told "Oh, we're not set up to do that yet."  Seriously?  I see on their FAQ page now that it says "The Connect-to-GO flag is not available yet on the EasyGO fare card. GO train riders should continue to show the operator their Presto card or valid GO Transit ticket and deposit 50¢ in the farebox." but I'm pretty sure that if that was there when I first read about this flag that I wouldn't have bothered to head to the terminal.

As to the Mifare Application Directory on the cards, yes, Presto was readily recognized by the NXP TagInfo app on Android:

[Image: PrestoTagInfo.jpg]

That means there's no reason that you couldn't just tap your Presto card at a transfer point followed by your EasyGO card within some reasonable timeout (10 seconds?) to get the Connect to GO discount.  No special 'flag' on the EasyGO cards required!

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 05-16-2019

I have not been on my social media as much, I missed this earlier today.

More resources are up for the new network: https://www.grt.ca/en/my-new-grt.aspx

There's a stop-by-stop breakdown of service changes, a page on Charles Terminal's fate, and a new PDF system map.

The latter specifically factors in service for the summer before the UW plaza is built, and how service will be handled. Routes on Columbia (the 201 and 31) remain there; a stop will be added at the tracks for a walking transfer to UW station. Ones that will later loop at the plaza (the 9, 19, and 13) will loop on Ring Road for now. Not ideal, bu the while University bus situation is a mess to begin with.

RE: Grand River Transit - Acitta - 05-17-2019

I am really liking the new bus route changes. I live on Stirling between Highland and Mill. I will be able to take one bus to get to Food Basics and the other grocery stores on Highland which is something I can't do now. I will be able to take one bus to get to the Supercentre at Highland Hills Mall. Similar to now, I will be able to take two buses to get to the train station to catch the GO train, but I think that it might be faster with the connection at Frederick Station.

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 05-22-2019

Stop closure signs are popping up

RE: Grand River Transit - Section ThirtyOne - 05-23-2019

Good to know the 4 will be routed down Mount Hope Street now, thank you.

I hope the extra traffic will motivate GRH to move their parking shuttle stop off of the road and into one of their lots. I've never really understood why they were permitted to do this in the first place, it really snarls up traffic and creates a dangerous situation during peak periods.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 05-23-2019

There's a whole variety of designs for different stop implications.

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 05-24-2019

The Planning and Works committee will be voting on fare hikes. Averaging about 3%.

I do wonder how much the price of parking is being hiked...

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 05-27-2019

New audio announcements on board buses pulling into Forest Glen (and presumably Charles), confirming no more service there after June 24 and directing riders to the website.

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 05-27-2019

(05-27-2019, 10:43 AM)KevinL Wrote: New audio announcements on board buses pulling into Forest Glen (and presumably Charles), confirming no more service there after June 24 and directing riders to the website.

I heard something similar at Laurier as well, but I didn't catch the whole message as I had headphones on. When I took them off, I just heard the June 24th part and directing to the GRT website. I'll have to remember to listen to the entire thing tomorrow.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 05-27-2019

The Laurier one must be that the 200 is no longer servicing it; a big change for that local area.

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 05-27-2019

I heard the entire message on the way home. It said GRT bus routes are changing starting June 24. For more information visit GRT.ca

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 05-28-2019

If you click on a stop that is being closed on Google maps now, a notice is displayed.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 05-28-2019

(05-27-2019, 08:28 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: I heard the entire message on the way home. It said GRT bus routes are changing starting June 24. For more information visit GRT.ca

They seem to be playing this at all terminals and major transfer points that will be seeing changes.

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 05-28-2019

(05-24-2019, 04:26 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The Planning and Works committee will be voting on fare hikes. Averaging about 3%.

For 2019? My impression was that a 3% hike was already approved, but deferred to September 1 (from July 1).

3% doesn't seem excessive to me as a transit user. That's barely inflationary. And almost identical to the 2019 property tax increase for the Region.

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 05-28-2019

(05-28-2019, 11:37 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(05-24-2019, 04:26 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The Planning and Works committee will be voting on fare hikes. Averaging about 3%.

For 2019? My impression was that a 3% hike was already approved, but deferred to September 1 (from July 1).

3% doesn't seem excessive to me as a transit user. That's barely inflationary. And almost identical to the 2019 property tax increase for the Region.

It is definitely above inflation, although not by a whole lot.  And yes, it doesn't seem excessive, but it's only in the latest of many many hikes.

The real thing which bugs me is that this raise is happening in the context of generally flat parking rates, and an extreme response to the increase in cost of gas.

In fact, how many times do you hear people invoke the less fortunate as argument against raising the cost of driving, but hear nary a peep from them about fare hikes.

Measuring the cost of driving is much harder, as it has many factors, but most components of driving aren't increasing at nearly the rate transit fares are.