Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - ac3r - 09-01-2019

As of today, there is a 3% increase in fares for GRT (cash fare remaining the same): https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/waterloo-region-transit-fare-1.5264349

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 09-01-2019

(09-01-2019, 12:27 PM)ac3r Wrote: As of today, there is a 3% increase in fares for GRT (cash fare remaining the same): https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/waterloo-region-transit-fare-1.5264349

In other news the cost for driving and parking in this city remains the same.

Welcome to our climate emergency, we're just going to ride this one out apparently.

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 09-03-2019

It's not 3% (which is already in excess of the rate of inflation), it's closer to 4% for tickets, and almost 5% for monthly passes. The only types of fares going up 3% or less are concession fares.

My feeling is that we're getting service improvements and improved headways on a number of routes, so modest increases are to be expected. And our fares are not too expensive- in Hamilton, for instance, a monthly pass is well over $100. LTC's is only $81, but within the same ball park.

Parking fees did go up this year. At least in Kitchener, they'd been decreasing in real terms for several years, but there were more-or-less inflationary increases this year in both Kitchener and Waterloo.

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 09-03-2019

(09-03-2019, 07:18 AM)MidTowner Wrote: It's not 3% (which is already in excess of the rate of inflation), it's closer to 4% for tickets, and almost 5% for monthly passes. The only types of fares going up 3% or less are concession fares.

My feeling is that we're getting service improvements and improved headways on a number of routes, so modest increases are to be expected. And our fares are not too expensive- in Hamilton, for instance, a monthly pass is well over $100. LTC's is only $81, but within the same ball park.

Parking fees did go up this year. At least in Kitchener, they'd been decreasing in real terms for several years, but there were more-or-less inflationary increases this year in both Kitchener and Waterloo.

The vast majority (like 99%) of parking in the region is free and will be free this year too. 

I'm glad DTK is matching inflation but let's put it in context.

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 09-03-2019

That's a good point. There is a tonne of free parking, and rarely if ever any discussion about pricing even token additional bits of it.

RE: Grand River Transit - Bytor - 09-03-2019

(09-03-2019, 07:18 AM)MidTowner Wrote: It's not 3% (which is already in excess of the rate of inflation), it's closer to 4% for tickets, and almost 5% for monthly passes. The only types of fares going up 3% or less are concession fares.

When you adjust for the portion of the pie that each fare type is and math it all out, it comes out to an overall 3% rise. That's how GRT has done it in the past.

(09-03-2019, 04:42 PM)Bytor Wrote:

When you adjust for the portion of the pie that each fare type is and math it all out, it comes out to an overall 3% rise. That's how GRT has done it in the past.

The effect however, is that some people see far more than a 3% increase, to be honest, I'm surprised though, I would have figured tickets and passes would make up enough of the fares that they would be almost exactly 3%.

FYI, if fuel costs tracked a 3% increase, given the high of 1.34 in 2012, gas prices would have reached almost 1.70 this summer.  Instead we're paying 1.13.  Just for context.

RE: Grand River Transit - plam - 09-03-2019

(09-03-2019, 09:09 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The effect however, is that some people see far more than a 3% increase, to be honest, I'm surprised though, I would have figured tickets and passes would make up enough of the fares that they would be almost exactly 3%.

FYI, if fuel costs tracked a 3% increase, given the high of 1.34 in 2012, gas prices would have reached almost 1.70 this summer.  Instead we're paying 1.13.  Just for context.

I guess I'm usually privileged enough to be able to use tickets and passes rather than cash fares. Especially with EasyGO I don't need to do cash fares.

As we discussed when the debate was BRT vs LRT, operators are a significant part of the cost structure, and I wouldn't be surprised if salaries increased by 3%.

(09-03-2019, 09:38 PM)plam Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 09:09 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The effect however, is that some people see far more than a 3% increase, to be honest, I'm surprised though, I would have figured tickets and passes would make up enough of the fares that they would be almost exactly 3%.

I guess I'm usually privileged enough to be able to use tickets and passes rather than cash fares. Especially with EasyGO I don't need to do cash fares.

As we discussed when the debate was BRT vs LRT, operators are a significant part of the cost structure, and I wouldn't be surprised if salaries increased by 3%.

Even with the fare card, the cash outlay to use tickets isn't huge, most people who regularly take transit would probably not use cash, but it would be interesting to see a breakdown of the different fare products.

As for labor costs, I'm sure you're right...in fact, I'm sure costs increased much more than 3% this year.  But our fares should not necessarily be coupled with the cost of providing the service...this is never the case with transportation (almost nobody knows how much parking costs, even the people building it often have no idea of the real cost), and it's only sometimes the case with utilities where we pay fees directly.  Our water utility was under priced for years and years, and only now is coming back to a position of proper funding...to much screaming and crying I'll add.  And we don't know what ridership will do anyway....   Long way of saying, I don't think it should matter what salaries do when it comes to setting fares.

RE: Grand River Transit - Bytor - 09-04-2019

The fares haven't increased since 2017, IIRC, so this 4% is really for two years worth of inflation, not just one.

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 09-04-2019

Fares were not increased in 2018 because ridership was declining amid big service disruptions (and other causes). It doesn't make sense to raise the price of something when demand for it is in decline.

The 2017 fare hikes, by the way, were relatively larger than the ones this week- 4.9% for an adult pass, 3.8% for tickets.

I also don't really think we should be aiming for inflationary increases, necessarily. Nor do I even think we should be aiming to keep up with increases to the system's cost (though, with the stated goal of increasing farebox recovery, I guess it has to be the case). The demand for transit is not inelastic, and with the goal of increasing ridership we should be thinking very carefully before raising fares- especially when costs for competing modes of transportation are not going up.

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 09-08-2019

(09-03-2019, 10:09 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Long way of saying, I don't think it should matter what salaries do when it comes to setting fares.

So, what should matter?

RE: Grand River Transit - ijmorlan - 09-08-2019

(09-08-2019, 09:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 10:09 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Long way of saying, I don't think it should matter what salaries do when it comes to setting fares.

So, what should matter?

Interesting question. In a normal business, it’s a market consideration. But public transit is a government service, so it’s basically a political question. We could go like roads, and make it free to the user; or we could do it like the post office, and expect it to make a profit; or we can be anywhere between. At present we’re in between those extremes.

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 09-09-2019

GRT looks to scrap senior, student and low-income fares, introduce 48% discount
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/transit-program-low-income-waterloo-region-1.5273796

I'm very supportive of this, at least in principle. The student and senior fares are only about 15% lower today: students and seniors with significant income can certainly afford the extra $13 per month. On the other hand, this would provide a nearly 50% discount for a huge swathe of lower-income transit users, whether working, student or senior. Yes, free transit for them might be even better. Yes, the need for (some?) financial data to qualify is not ideal. But if we are going to reduce transit costs for a segment of the population, I'm all for means-testing so that those with a real need can get the support.

I can only hope that when I'm 65 I won't qualify for the low-income fare. And I will not begrudge those who do.

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 09-16-2019

I thought about this proposal, and I don't think I'm in favour as proposed. But only because I think this program should be paid for by new subsidies from the Region, and not from removing discounts on seniors and children.

It's true that many seniors have significant income, and from an equity standpoint there's not a lot of strong argument for offering them a discount. But it's not just for equity reasons that the discount is there, it's also to incent ridership, and I would argue that they are good riders, likely to travel outside of peak times when our transit assets are underutilized.

It also irked me that the CBC article kept referring to "students" when talking about the discounts. GRT charges fares for children as young as five...they'll now apparently be charging adult fares for children as young as five. That's a big burden for parents to get on transit with their kids, and I bet a Gender-based analysis of that proposal would be interesting.

To put that policy in perspective, Guelph Transit offers a 25% discount for kids and seniors; HSR, 18%; LTC, 19%. LTC doesn't charge fares for children under the age of 12 (nor does TTC).

Looking outside of our peer group at great transit cities, London England you ride for free until 16 and then get a 50% discount for a couple of years afterwards. In Montreal, you ride for free until six and then get a ~30% discount.