Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 02-12-2020

(02-12-2020, 09:42 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Yet there is not a single articulated bus in the fleet, am I correct?

Next year.
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/9222939-bendy-buses-coming-to-waterloo-region-in-2021/

RE: Grand River Transit - ac3r - 02-12-2020

I've never heard the term "bendy bus" until this article.

RE: Grand River Transit - jwilliamson - 02-13-2020

(02-12-2020, 05:30 PM)ac3r Wrote: I've never heard the term "bendy bus" until this article.

I think it's a Britishism. I hear it fairly regularly in discussions about London transport.

RE: Grand River Transit - bgb_ca - 02-13-2020

Bad day for GRT yesterday. Not only did two trains get hit, but someone in a pickup ran a red light and got smoked by a bus at westmount and greenbrook.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/crash-involving-grt-bus-sends-one-person-to-hospital-1.4809671

RE: Grand River Transit - Momo26 - 02-13-2020

Yikes. A bad day for GRT indeed ^.

One of those Jeep pick-ups. Funny, saw one yesterday downtown. Co-worker remarked how they are/will be popular.

RE: Grand River Transit - jeffster - 02-13-2020

(02-12-2020, 05:30 PM)ac3r Wrote: I've never heard the term "bendy bus" until this article.

Bendy Bus is descriptive. Something a 3 year old would understand. Articulated sounds scholar, like the busses we're trained how to articulate themselves on the roads.

RE: Grand River Transit - jeffster - 02-13-2020

(02-13-2020, 12:47 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Bad day for GRT yesterday. Not only did two trains get hit, but someone in a pickup ran a red light and got smoked by a bus at westmount and greenbrook.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/crash-involving-grt-bus-sends-one-person-to-hospital-1.4809671

Seeing where the jeep ended up, in perfect alignment to make a left turn onto Greenbrook, I am going to say that I am impressed with the dismount of the Jeep driver. Run a red and do a perfect 180 like nothing happened.

RE: Grand River Transit - white_brian - 02-13-2020

I lived at the house where this pic was taken for 7 yrs you would be amazed at some of the accidents that happened there

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 02-17-2020

I have availed myself of the free transit weekends most of the weekends this month. I must say I have seen a far larger number of children on the train than I usually do. However, I rarely rode it on weekends before. Does anyone know if this is typical, or if we are seeing a really big surge.

I think this is probably a big surge, which really shows the current fare structure is a huge obstacle to families using the LRT. Cars (even when people think otherwise) are almost always more expensive than transit. But for a family of four, transit probably is going to be more expensive than almost all driving scenarios using a single car.

RE: Grand River Transit - panamaniac - 02-17-2020

(02-17-2020, 02:56 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I have availed myself of the free transit weekends most of the weekends this month.  I must say I have seen a far larger number of children on the train than I usually do.  However, I rarely rode it on weekends before.  Does anyone know if this is typical, or if we are seeing a really big surge.

I think this is probably a big surge, which really shows the current fare structure is a huge obstacle to families using the LRT. Cars (even when people think otherwise) are almost always more expensive than transit. But for a family of four, transit probably is going to be more expensive than almost all driving scenarios using a single car.

If the kids you’re seeing are in the under 10 age bracket, my first thought might be that parents are taking advantage to give the kids a “train ride”.

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 02-17-2020

(02-17-2020, 03:17 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(02-17-2020, 02:56 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I have availed myself of the free transit weekends most of the weekends this month.  I must say I have seen a far larger number of children on the train than I usually do.  However, I rarely rode it on weekends before.  Does anyone know if this is typical, or if we are seeing a really big surge.

If the kids you’re seeing are in the under 10 age bracket, my first thought might be that parents are taking advantage to give the kids a “train ride”.

I'm sure some are, and a lot of folks are obviously not frequent riders, but the question is why not, I don't think most are not going anywhere, but are making a trip that either wouldn't have been taken, or would have been driven before.

RE: Grand River Transit - timc - 02-17-2020

It seems pretty clear to me that a $25 round trip for a family could easily be done more quickly and cheaply with a car. I have a pass, but my kids do not, and we used transit two times this weekend where we probably wouldn't have otherwise.

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 02-17-2020

(02-17-2020, 07:24 PM)timc Wrote:

It seems pretty clear to me that a $25 round trip for a family could easily be done more quickly and cheaply with a car. I have a pass, but my kids do not, and we used transit two times this weekend where we probably wouldn't have otherwise.

I'm thinking we should allow older kids (maybe up to 10?) to ride for free when accompanied by at least one adult.

RE: Grand River Transit - plam - 02-17-2020

(02-17-2020, 10:44 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-17-2020, 07:24 PM)timc Wrote: It seems pretty clear to me that a $25 round trip for a family could easily be done more quickly and cheaply with a car. I have a pass, but my kids do not, and we used transit two times this weekend where we probably wouldn't have otherwise.

I'm thinking we should allow older kids (maybe up to 10?) to ride for free when accompanied by at least one adult.

Montreal has that now. Don't think it did when I was a kid.

http://www.stm.info/en/info/fares/special-offers/family-outings

1 adult + 5 children up to and including age 11 ride free Friday evening - Sunday, school break, summer, and the holidays.

Boston's MBTA had free companion rides on Sundays for those with passes I think.

RE: Grand River Transit - danbrotherston - 02-18-2020

(02-17-2020, 11:01 PM)plam Wrote:
(02-17-2020, 10:44 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I'm thinking we should allow older kids (maybe up to 10?) to ride for free when accompanied by at least one adult.

Montreal has that now. Don't think it did when I was a kid.

http://www.stm.info/en/info/fares/special-offers/family-outings

1 adult + 5 children up to and including age 11 ride free Friday evening - Sunday, school break, summer, and the holidays.

Boston's MBTA had free companion rides on Sundays for those with passes I think.

GO Transit and TTC have that soundly beat: Children 12 and under are always free.