Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - BuildingScout - 06-29-2015

(06-29-2015, 01:18 AM)mpd618 Wrote: I think this is a good idea - Gaukel Street from Charles to Joseph serves zero function for motor vehicles after the Charles Street Terminal is closed. And neither is Joseph is a substantial corridor. So Gaukel Street itself, plus a portion of the terminal property would make for a fine extension of the park to the LRT station at Charles, and it could cross Joseph Street in shared space fashion.

Exactly. This would also give two dimensionality to Downtown, which up until now hast been mostly a linear zone. Essentially shooting to create an area demarcated by Victoria, Joseph, Benton-Frederick and Weber that should become a downtown core, as opposed to just King St. with Victoria Park adjacent to it for added attraction.

RE: Grand River Transit - nms - 06-29-2015

Taking a quick look at the Charles Street site, it looks like a building the size of the Waterloo Memorial Recreation Complex could be squeezed in. This would include a large pool, a decent size indoor skating rink as well as meeting facilities. It could be a nice addition to the public space at Kitchener City Hall and allow things like the Kristkindl Market to expand.

However, parking (and potentially truck deliveries) would be a sticking point. All the water in a swimming pool is very heavy so underground parking could be significantly more expensive to build. However, adding another underground public parking lot to the Downtown core could satisfy the needs of those who would not be coming downtown by some other means.

RE: Grand River Transit - chutten - 06-29-2015

(06-29-2015, 02:34 PM)nms Wrote: However, parking (and potentially truck deliveries) would be a sticking point.  All the water in a swimming pool is very heavy so underground parking could be significantly more expensive to build.  However, adding another underground public parking lot to the Downtown core could satisfy the needs of those who would not be coming downtown by some other means.

On the other hand, if you wanted something to force adoption of public transit then you couldn't hope for something more tailor-made than a place people want to visit positioned directly adjacent to transit hubs, plagued with insufficient parking

RE: Grand River Transit - Elmira Guy - 07-15-2015

I have to say, I REALLY hate the GRT Trip Planner!

1. It would be really useful if it put stop numbers in the directions/instructions it gives you.

2. While trying to determine what time I'll need to catch a bus from Weber & Lincoln to Westmount and John, it gives the #12 as the only option, despite the fact that I know (and have absolutely determined from the route map) that the #8 will work just as well. But, I can't find out what times the #8 will leave or how long it will take for the trip because the bloody Trip Planner won't even offer the #8 as an option.

GRRR!!!!!

Sorry. Had to let that out. But I think the Trip Planner needs some serious work.

RE: Grand River Transit - taylortbb - 07-16-2015

The GRT trip planner probably shouldn't exist. I'd rather see them focus on better integration with Google Maps (real time data) rather than trying to make the trip planner work. It just doesn't do anything better than Google Maps, and does a lot worse.

RE: Grand River Transit - Elmira Guy - 07-16-2015

Another question I've been wondering about GRT routes.
Why is there no bus that runs the length of Weber St? I certainly don't claim to be anything approaching a transit expert, but to me it would make sense.
I sometimes go to a place at King (what should logically be Weber) and Fairway (for the biggest wings in town!), and getting there from Weber & Lincoln takes a hell of a long time, and is very indirect.

Just curious. If someone has a good explanation for why they don't run such a route, I'd be very interested and open to hearing it.

Too right Taylortbb! I completely agree.

RE: Grand River Transit - mpd618 - 07-16-2015

(07-16-2015, 12:52 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: Why is there no bus that runs the length of Weber St? ... If someone has a good explanation for why they don't run such a route, I'd be very interested and open to hearing it.

Because for a long time the transit system in Kitchener was designed as a hub-and-spoke system based on a downtown terminal. In the last few years GRT has been redesigning the network to be a modified grid pattern, in a piecemeal way. A lot of that is waiting for the LRT to open before pulling out most of the rest of the routes from the terminal. In the reports on the 2015 service changes, GRT planners made it clear that in 2017 they will be looking to rationalize Route 7 and Route 8, so service along much of the length of Weber Street is possible.

The 8 is an interesting route - it's an odd routing that connects up closer-in suburban areas with each other, which has surprisingly high demand.

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 07-16-2015

I agree with ElmiraGuy that there ought to be a line that travels the entire length of Weber: mpd618's explanation for why that doesn't (yet) exist is a good one, and I think it will probably be something that happens once the Ion is running.

The current routing of the 8 frustrates me- the jogs away from Weber between Union and Queen and Ottawa and Franklin. The latter will become less necessary when the Ottawa express is running, but I know the former is in order to serve the Breithaupt Community Centre on Margaret. I'm not sure how much ridership that generates to divert an important bus from a major corridor, but I know it's important for it to have service. My solution to that would be for the 4 to operate more like a crosstown- it now travels further to the East (to Weber) before heading downtown, but I think there's little real need for it to travel downtown at all, given the good connections that will exist at King (and maybe Weber). It could continue further across Union to Margaret, jog down Margaret to serve the community centre, and then turn around somewhere or head further east (maybe on Guelph) to serve a few more neighbourhoods and turn around somewhere logical.

I'm surprised that the 8 has high ridership. It never seemed to me like it would, given its routing and some of the neighbourhoods it passes through.

RE: Grand River Transit - curious_look - 07-16-2015

(07-16-2015, 08:14 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I agree with ElmiraGuy that there ought to be a line that travels the entire length of Weber: mpd618's explanation for why that doesn't (yet) exist is a good one, and I think it will probably be something that happens once the Ion is running.

The current routing of the 8 frustrates me- the jogs away from Weber between Union and Queen and Ottawa and Franklin. The latter will become less necessary when the Ottawa express is running, but I know the former is in order to serve the Breithaupt Community Centre on Margaret. I'm not sure how much ridership that generates to divert an important bus from a major corridor, but I know it's important for it to have service. My solution to that would be for the 4 to operate more like a crosstown- it now travels further to the East (to Weber) before heading downtown, but I think there's little real need for it to travel downtown at all, given the good connections that will exist at King (and maybe Weber). It could continue further across Union to Margaret, jog down Margaret to serve the community centre, and then turn around somewhere or head further east (maybe on Guelph) to serve a few more neighbourhoods and turn around somewhere logical.

I'm surprised that the 8 has high ridership. It never seemed to me like it would, given its routing and some of the neighbourhoods it passes through.

I can vouch that the stop for Breithaupt Centre generally has the highest number of boarding/discharging of any stop between Weber/Lincoln and KPL - particularly in the afternoons. Though they may all be going to Giant Tiger and not the community centre . . . . 

RE: Grand River Transit - Waterlooer - 07-16-2015

Elmira Guy: I use the Transit App on my phone. It uses Google Maps as the map and GRT's real time data. It's fast, easy to use, and I definitely recommend it.

Waterlooer

Are you referring to the GRT Trip Planner of the EasyGO app? I find the latter quite useful, but my issues are with the Trip Planner. Until yesterday, my only real beef was that it didn't cite stop numbers, which I maintain would be useful.
But yesterday, I was trying to determine what time I would need to leave my place near Weber & Lincoln in order to make a 10 AM appointment at Westmount & John. While both the #12 and #8 will get me there, the app only shows the #12, and the times weren't ideal, so I wanted to see if the #8 would be a better fit. However, the app won't show that route as a possible option.

I just find that very odd, and not very useful.

RE: Grand River Transit - Waterlooer - 07-16-2015

(07-16-2015, 11:20 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: Waterlooer

Are you referring to the GRT Trip Planner or the EasyGO app? I find the latter quite useful, but my issues are with the Trip Planner. Until yesterday, my only real beef was that it didn't cite stop numbers, which I maintain would be useful.
But yesterday, I was trying to determine what time I would need to leave my place near Weber & Lincoln in order to make a 10 AM appointment at Westmount & John next week. While both the #12 and #8 will get me there, the app only shows the #12, and the times weren't ideal, so I wanted to see if the #8 would be a better fit. However, the app won't show that route at all as a possible option.

Oops, sorry I thought you were talking about the EasyGO app! But I was referring to this other app (called Transit App) that works very well. But I agree with Taylortbb and would use Google Maps instead. I've used the Trip Planner website before and didn't enjoy the experience.

RE: Grand River Transit - Markster - 07-16-2015

(07-16-2015, 11:20 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: But yesterday, I was trying to determine what time I would need to leave my place near Weber & Lincoln in order to make a 10 AM appointment at Westmount & John next week. While both the #12 and #8 will get me there, the app only shows the #12, and the times weren't ideal, so I wanted to see if the #8 would be a better fit. However, the app won't show that route at all as a possible option.

What likely happened here, was that you didn't hit the 5 minute window where the #8 is the better option.  GRT's trip planner found that the 12 was the best option and handed you that.
Here's Google's transit directions
The 8 and 12 are each on half-hour schedules, but the 8 runs only eight minutes after the 12.  There's even less buffer between them during much of the rest of the day.

In general, use google.  It has the awesome "schedule explorer" that can show you exactly what you want when it comes to selecting a time of departure/arrival.  Google misses some of the timed transfers, as it assumes a minimum number of minutes to make one, but if you're using a single line, it's far better.

Interestingly, trying out your search, but for next wednesday, I made sure to click "approximately", and it presented both the 12 and 8.

RE: Grand River Transit - Markster - 07-16-2015

The BlackBerry experience on the mobile Google website is... lackluster. I sideloaded the official Google Maps app a couple months ago, and have fewer headaches now.

(07-16-2015, 12:06 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: I guess when you said you selected "approximately" you weren't referring to the Trip Planner. I checked the box for "flexible" and still only got the #12.

I was on this page: http://web.grt.ca/hastinfoweb/
There is a checkbox for "approximately"