Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - Canard - 04-16-2016

The thing I don't like about Presto is you have to register an account and all that. In other cities, where you use a NFC smart card, you can buy this card from any vending machine at any station for a small fee, and top up as you need from other fare adjustment machines. Anyone can do it.

With Presto, unless I'm misunderstanding, you have to register an account and top-up online and wait for the card to be mailed to you... How on earth will visitors to the city use a system like this? They basically can't.

RE: Grand River Transit - taylortbb - 04-16-2016

There's no requirement to register a Presto card. They can be purchased at any GO station from an attendant, or from pass vending machines at many locations, and at some retailers. There's also reload machines that take cash or credit/debit. Locally they can be purchased or reloaded at the Charles St Terminal, and both universities.

In the future these purchase/reload machines will be at every TTC station. Right now they're only at GO stations.

Some GO stations, like Kitchener, where there isn't much service it's only from the attendant. But any major GO station has the machines.

Thanks for the clarification. That's much better, but still nowhere near as easy or convenient as they make it out to be.

RE: Grand River Transit - timio - 04-16-2016

(04-16-2016, 06:58 AM)Canard Wrote: Thanks for the clarification. That's much better, but still nowhere near as easy or convenient as they make it out to be.

Registration protects you if the cards are lost/stolen.

...But makes it very akward for a day visitor from out of town. Having to sign up, waste a bunch of time standing in line to go talk to a person at a window... It should be 30 seconds at a machine and done.

RE: Grand River Transit - darts - 04-16-2016

(04-12-2016, 11:16 AM)Markster Wrote:
(04-12-2016, 09:22 AM)chutten Wrote: They're replacing a system operated by a trained professional with a system that needs to be operated by any member of the public, individually, in series.

Yeah, no way this is going to be slower.

There are plenty of transit systems that use these kinds of fareboxes, and they can work quite fast. There's only so fast that people can file into a bus right now.  Even when a driver is able to visually scan passes, and manually punch the button, in a big crowd, the passengers just get held up filtering into the bus.  
As you say, it will be faster than the manual use of tickets currently, so I really think that boarding speed will come out in a wash. (Save for the adjustment period, where people will be a little slow, learning the new system)

From what I have observed the number of people using passes / transfers greatly outnumber those that use tickets so I think waiting for the boops will cause delays in getting people on board.  Additionally depending on the size of the person people were usually able to still flash the pass and get on board while they counted their change or were trying to decipher what the arrow on the ticket means.  Only time will tell I guess.

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 04-16-2016

(04-16-2016, 09:05 AM)Canard Wrote: ...But makes it very akward for a day visitor from out of town. Having to sign up, waste a bunch of time standing in line to go talk to a person at a window... It should be 30 seconds at a machine and done.

But it's not mandatory to register, as taylorbb said.  For a visitor, just pay for the card at the machine and start using it.

If you can find a machine, I suppose - as others have said, only a few TTC stations have them apparently. And not all of them even accept presto. What a mess!

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 04-16-2016

(04-16-2016, 05:54 PM)Canard Wrote: If you can find a machine, I suppose - as others have said, only a few TTC stations have them apparently. And not all of them even accept presto. What a mess!

Which, again, is a side effect of the TTC only embracing Presto fully in the past year or so. Once it becomes their standard payment method, I imagine machines will be more prevalent.

RE: Grand River Transit - taylortbb - 04-16-2016

Well yeah, the rollout is in progress. It's not like the TTC can snap its fingers and makes Presto machines and fare gates appear on all 2000 buses, 300 streetcars, and 65 subway stations overnight. Equipping that many locations is a multi-year process. Most of the stations require ripping up the flooring to run new cables to get power and network to the readers. When it's complete the card vending machines will be at every TTC station. I don't see an in-progress rollout as a mess.

RE: Grand River Transit - Elmira Guy - 04-20-2016

Grand River Transit to launch bus route for New Hamburg, Baden

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/grand-river-transit-to-launch-bus-route-for-new-hamburg-baden-1.2867008

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 04-20-2016

We talked about that a little bit three pages back or so. I hope the service is a success.

RE: Grand River Transit - panamaniac - 04-20-2016

How is the Elmira service doing?

RE: Grand River Transit - Elmira Guy - 04-20-2016

I don't know what the numbers are, but I use the 21 (Elmira) quite often and I think it's getting good use. It's sometimes busier than the 12 which I begin my journey on.

I would still like to see some Sunday service, weekday evening, and Saturday service past 4 o'clock. If anyone currently wanted to go to the mall to watch a movie and get home again, T S! It's true you need the numbers to justify the service but the only way to get numbers is by providing the service.

Also, the route within Elmira should be expanded so that it travels through the residential area more. There are 1,500 new residential units being built and the bus route as it is goes nowhere near them.

RE: Grand River Transit - Markster - 04-20-2016

(04-17-2016, 06:33 AM)Canard Wrote: Well they should have done that, they should have installed all the hardware "off" and then one day just turned it all on entirely.

What happens if you tap on at one station, then go to leave at another station but can't tap off?
The TTC does not yet have a concept of "tap off".
Using a Presto card is almost the same as depositing a token.