Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - Canard - 04-20-2016

Oh right. It's only GO/UPX that tap-off since its variable fare.. Duh. Sorry. Too used to Suica!

RE: Grand River Transit - rangersfan - 04-22-2016

Transit Depot receives some federal funds and a loan, I thought this project was already done?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/transit-depot-receives-8m-from-federation-of-canadian-municipalities-1.3548745

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 04-22-2016

No, the grant and loan were the original funding. It seems (if I'm reading it right) that this has become an outright presentation of the funds (so clearing out the loan).

But the article is very poorly worded in that respect.

RE: Grand River Transit - nms - 04-25-2016

(04-20-2016, 12:45 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: Also, the route within Elmira should be expanded so that it travels through the residential area more. There are 1,500 new residential units being built and the bus route as it is goes nowhere near them.

More effective would be bus route looping within Elmira that connected with the 21.  I can imagine that there would be some people in Elmira traveling within Elmira who wouldn't want the limited coverage of Elmira service that the Waterloo-St. Jacobs-Elmira route offers.

RE: Grand River Transit - yige_t - 04-25-2016

Route 77 Wilmot started operation this morning, using a Voyageur lift-equipped high floor minibus. 

The first two inbound trips this morning both had six passengers onboard, most just wanted to try out the service. First trip was late coming in to The Boardwalk due to traffic near Baden, so some schedule adjustments may happen soon. Voyageur staff were onboard monitoring ridership and scheduling.  

Will check it out again this PM to see how the route is doing.
[Image: 26544780732_8b2ec0bf83_z.jpg]

RE: Grand River Transit - Elmira Guy - 04-25-2016

nms wrote "More effective would be bus route looping within Elmira that connected with the 21.  I can imagine that there would be some people in Elmira traveling within Elmira who wouldn't want the limited coverage of Elmira service that the Waterloo-St. Jacobs-Elmira route offers"

I think that would be brilliant, but I also don't think the town will see anything like that for decades. I'll be shocked and amazed if there is any expansion of the current service anytime in the next 10 years even though the town will have easily passed 15,000 people by that point.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 04-27-2016

I've noticed in the past few days that the shelters for a number of 201 stops are being deliberately removed (the relatively new ones, with the real-time displays). Seems a bit odd to be replacing them so soon...

RE: Grand River Transit - neonjoe - 04-27-2016

Kevin if its the stops between Westmount and Ottawa its due to the Fischer Hallman widening that is starting next week.

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 04-27-2016

(04-27-2016, 06:29 PM)neonjoe Wrote: Kevin if its the stops between Westmount and Ottawa its due to the Fischer Hallman widening that is starting next week.

Ah! That is indeed the spot, so that makes perfect sense. Cheers.

RE: Grand River Transit - Pheidippides - 05-03-2016

Proposed changes to route 34 as of summer 2016:

"To improve service reliability, schedule adherence and to address customer comments, Route 34 Bingemans is planned to use the Margaret Avenue Bridge starting from the summer GRT schedule in June 2016. The route currently crosses the Metrolinx rail corridor at-grade on Lancaster Street West just north of Victoria Street North. Data analyzed by staff indicates that buses are being delayed by trains at this location, and a grade separated crossing would address this issue. The route change would provide a more reliable service for GRT customers. "

RE: Grand River Transit - plam - 05-12-2016

I just read that Ottawa is concerned about Presto admin fee increases. The increase would probably make Presto more expensive than credit cards.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/ottawa/metrolinx-presto-fee-increase-ottawa-mayor-oc-transpo-1.3577574

There's also a comment about gas tax revenues but that can't quite be true if GRT can opt out.

RE: Grand River Transit - timc - 05-12-2016

It's really interesting. Articles from 2012 seem to suggest that gas tax revenues were only linked to Presto for GTA communities. But now, in 2016, it seems that Presto is tied to gas taxes.

The web isn't revealing much information about the deal, but it seems like now that they have opted to use Presto, they must continue or face the loss of gas tax revenues.

GRT never chose Presto in the first place, so we are OK?

RE: Grand River Transit - Canard - 05-12-2016

What is the etiquette when both available slots for bicycles on the front rack are occupied? Does one wait for the next bus?

RE: Grand River Transit - KevinL - 05-12-2016

(05-12-2016, 05:21 PM)Canard Wrote: What is the etiquette when both available slots for bicycles on the front rack are occupied? Does one wait for the next bus?

Check how full it is on board. If it's mostly empty, ask the driver if you can bring the bike aboard. If the bus is too full or driver says no, then wait.

RE: Grand River Transit - Markster - 05-12-2016

(05-12-2016, 05:28 PM)KevinL Wrote: Check how full it is on board. If it's mostly empty, ask the driver if you can bring the bike aboard. If the bus is too full or driver says no, then wait.

That is to say... start biking to your destination, because that will be faster.