Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - goggolor - 05-26-2016

Nice article from Waterloons about the iXpress on Weber issue (I know the author is here but not going to doxx anyone without permission...) http://waterloons.blogspot.ca/2016/05/a-tale-of-fickle-elusive-transit.html

Who could a resident reach out to about this? It seems like the sort of thing that GRT could be shamed into changing. It's completely inane that they expect the infrequent #4 to be a substitute for the 200 - the #4 certainly doesn't help me get to work or Uptown.

RE: Grand River Transit - clasher - 05-26-2016

What's the plan post-ion for the 200 route? I think it would be good to have an express bus on Weber.

RE: Grand River Transit - Waterlooer - 05-26-2016

(05-26-2016, 09:25 AM)clasher Wrote: What's the plan post-ion for the 200 route? I think it would be good to have an express bus on Weber.

The 200 will be discontinued since ION is replacing it. The extra buses from route 200 will be relocated to other routes. I personally wish route 8 went all the way down Weber and the 4 get moved to Margaret.

RE: Grand River Transit - clasher - 05-26-2016

(05-26-2016, 09:44 AM)Waterlooer Wrote:
(05-26-2016, 09:25 AM)clasher Wrote: What's the plan post-ion for the 200 route? I think it would be good to have an express bus on Weber.

The 200 will be discontinued since ION is replacing it. The extra buses from route 200 will be relocated to other routes. I personally wish route 8 went all the way down Weber and the 4 get moved to Margaret.

Ya, there are a lot of people living near Weber that would probably use an express bus. I have never been a huge fan of route 8 but it seems like it does serve a lot of people. I haven't taken the bus in years though so I can't really comment on the current routing too much.

RE: Grand River Transit - chutten - 05-26-2016

Earlier on this thread it was discussed, and the most popular choice appeared to be a Weber iXpress.

My choice at the time was to double the frequency of every other iXpress route :D

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 05-26-2016

(05-26-2016, 09:18 AM)goggolor Wrote: Nice article from Waterloons about the iXpress on Weber issue (I know the author is here but not going to doxx anyone without permission...) http://waterloons.blogspot.ca/2016/05/a-tale-of-fickle-elusive-transit.html

Who could a resident reach out to about this? It seems like the sort of thing that GRT could be shamed into changing. It's completely inane that they expect the infrequent #4 to be a substitute for the 200 - the #4 certainly doesn't help me get to work or Uptown.

Good article and summary of the situation. I think the most important point is that people are right now taking residential and transportation decisions that cannot be easily undone. If you decide not to move to Mount Hope because it’s no transit-friendlier than some other neighbourhood, or decide to buy a car because you need to get to work, that’s a substantial investment and that decision likely won’t be reversed when Ion is launched. We know that this neighbourhood will have good transit in 2018, but not everyone will be able to “hold on” and start taking Ion as soon as it’s available. There’s an easy way to give the area good transit in the interim.

Use the feedback form on the GRT’s ‘Contact Us’ page. I used that to bring up this issue and did wind up speaking with a planner. The people I exchanged e-mails with took the time to go back and find the answers to my questions and comments. If enough others do the same, maybe we’ll get some traction.

RE: Grand River Transit - panamaniac - 05-26-2016

The demographic change in Mt Hope has been interesting to witness.

Can you elaborate on that a bit? I've observed changes, but I'd be curious how you see them.

RE: Grand River Transit - Elmira Guy - 05-26-2016

I would be very pleased if there were bus service along the length of Weber St. I find it rather mind-boggling that such a thing doesn't exist already, but I believe we have already discussed this.

(05-26-2016, 11:36 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Can you elaborate on that a bit? I've observed changes, but I'd be curious how you see them.

My impression is that there has been a form of gentrification (perhaps not the correct word) taking place.  Younger, artsy, educated/professional people are being drawn to the area because it's central and has good housing stock at affordable prices (some have been beautifully renovated).  To me it's becoming the neighbourhood where you're not surprised to hear about residential street intersections being painted by community members as a traffic-calming measure.  Probably lots of neighbourhood porch parties in its short to mid-term future as well.  With all of this, of course, comes higher expectations - I doubt that "old Mt Hope" would be a source of complaints about bus service.  Am I right?

(05-26-2016, 11:45 AM)panamaniac Wrote: My impression is that there has been a form of gentrification (perhaps not the correct word) taking place.  Younger, artsy, educated/professional people are being drawn to the area because it's central and has good housing stock at affordable prices (some have been beautifully renovated).  To me it's becoming the neighbourhood where you're not surprised to hear about residential street intersections being painted by community members as a traffic-calming measure.  Probably lots of neighbourhood porch parties in its short to mid-term future as well.  With all of this, of course, comes higher expectations - I doubt that "old Mt Hope" would be a source of complaints about bus service.  Am I right?

You are dead right on the last point, and I think pretty accurate in your description of the changes going on. Yes, it’s definitely the newcomers (I’m one) who have those certain expectations, transit included.

(05-26-2016, 11:56 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(05-26-2016, 11:45 AM)panamaniac Wrote: My impression is that there has been a form of gentrification (perhaps not the correct word) taking place.  Younger, artsy, educated/professional people are being drawn to the area because it's central and has good housing stock at affordable prices (some have been beautifully renovated).  To me it's becoming the neighbourhood where you're not surprised to hear about residential street intersections being painted by community members as a traffic-calming measure.  Probably lots of neighbourhood porch parties in its short to mid-term future as well.  With all of this, of course, comes higher expectations - I doubt that "old Mt Hope" would be a source of complaints about bus service.  Am I right?

You are dead right on the last point, and I think pretty accurate in your description of the changes going on. Yes, it’s definitely the newcomers (I’m one) who have those certain expectations, transit included.

As long as higher expectations don't morph into a sense of entitlement (Uptown west of Caroline, come on down!), I think it will become a terrific, urban family neighbourhood.

RE: Grand River Transit - dunkalunk - 05-26-2016

More thoughts on local routes:
[Image: fdA9yF8.png]

Route 1: Keep out of terminal
Route 2: Countinue via Sterilng, Borden, and East to Frederick
Route 4: Shift to Margaret Ave (replaces Route 8), add all-day service.
Route 7: Keep on King, Keep out of Terminal
Route 8: Disconnect North and South loops. Reroute to Park, Weber, and Highland E. Have north and south loops meet at Victoria
Route 9: Extend from Hazel down King, Belmont, and Highland (replaces Belmont leg of Route 8)
Route 16: Extend to Downtown Kitchener via Strasburg, Ottawa, and Courtland (replaces Courtland leg of Route 8)

I've omitted express bus routes for clarity, but assume they still exist.

(05-26-2016, 12:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: As long as higher expectations don't morph into a sense of entitlement (Uptown west of Caroline, come on down!), I think it will become a terrific, urban family neighbourhood.

I don't think someone has entitlement issues if he or she wants safe streets. I expect there will be some pressures for traffic calming in Mount Hope in the future, but the streets there aren't exactly freeways so I don't think anything very radical would likely be proposed. I share your opinion that it's becoming a very family-oriented neighbourhood.

RE: Grand River Transit - tomh009 - 05-26-2016

I don't think anyone wants to have unsafe streets, but the challenge is that the definition of "safe" or "safe enough" can be very subjective.