Waterloo Region Connected
Grand River Transit - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Grand River Transit (/showthread.php?tid=13)

RE: Grand River Transit - panamaniac - 05-26-2016

(05-26-2016, 12:57 PM)MidTowner Wrote:
(05-26-2016, 12:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: As long as higher expectations don't morph into a sense of entitlement (Uptown west of Caroline, come on down!), I think it will become a terrific, urban family neighbourhood.

I don't think someone has entitlement issues if he or she wants safe streets. I expect there will be some pressures for traffic calming in Mount Hope in the future, but the streets there aren't exactly freeways so I don't think anything very radical would likely be proposed. I share your opinion that it's becoming a very family-oriented neighbourhood.

Nor I.  I assume everyone wants safe streets.  In the case of Mt Hope, even with the current diversions, it's a pretty low-traffic neighbourhood and parts of it are quiet as the tomb (  Wink  ) .  I do wonder what the future holds for Wellington, which could become quite high traffic once the new Hwy 7 is complete, unless plans are in place to keep that traffic off Wellington east of Weber.

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 05-26-2016

I think we can all agree about that. Edit: in response to tomh009's comment

Quote:"I don't think anyone wants to have unsafe streets, but the challenge is that the definition of "safe" or "safe enough" can be very subjective."

Back on topic, I like Dunkalunk's proposal for the local routes. I particularly think that switching the 4 to Margaret and the 8 to Weber makes a lot of sense. That jog in the 8 reduces its legibility and utility. The jog is specifically because Breithaupt Centre needs bus service, which it does, but it sacrifices the potential ridership advances by having a “Weber bus” that actually takes Weber for an appreciable distance, and is somewhat frequent. I view the 4 as an almost-purely “coverage” or “survival route” (the neighbourhoods it serves need something according to coverage standards, so there they go), so running it down Margaret makes sense to me.

I’m less sure about breaking up the 8’s loops in that way. It seems like it should stay on Weber east of Victoria.

RE: Grand River Transit - zanate - 05-26-2016

(05-26-2016, 09:18 AM)goggolor Wrote: Nice article from Waterloons about the iXpress on Weber issue (I know the author is here but not going to doxx anyone without permission...) http://waterloons.blogspot.ca/2016/05/a-tale-of-fickle-elusive-transit.html

Who could a resident reach out to about this? It seems like the sort of thing that GRT could be shamed into changing. It's completely inane that they expect the infrequent #4 to be a substitute for the 200 - the #4 certainly doesn't help me get to work or Uptown.

Appreciate the discretion but I don't mind. Waterloons is my soapbox (and occasionally venting place).

As mentioned elsewhere, the GRT contact us page is a good place to start. If you're in the neighbourhood, the Mount Hope & Breithaupt Park Neighbourhood Association might also want to hear from you.

(05-26-2016, 11:42 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: I would be very pleased if there were bus service along the length of Weber St. I find it rather mind-boggling that such a thing doesn't exist already, but I believe we have already discussed this.

From a conversation with GRT management, I have heard they're thinking about this. But that doesn't mean anything's planned. It is encouraging that GRT is starting to consider further moves towards a grid alignment, though!

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 05-26-2016

(05-26-2016, 01:19 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Nor I.  I assume everyone wants safe streets.  In the case of Mt Hope, even with the current diversions, it's a pretty low-traffic neighbourhood and parts of it are quiet as the tomb (  Wink  ) .  I do wonder what the future holds for Wellington, which could become quite high traffic once the new Hwy 7 is complete, unless plans are in place to keep that traffic off Wellington east of Weber.

The diversions are an issue on some streets, but I think there’s a general understanding that they are temporary and so not worth getting too fussed about. There are some streets where I’ve heard people say high-speed through traffic is an issue: Moore and Waterloo, for instance (which seems odd given that Weber is right there), and Louisa. I don’t think any of these issues are huge, but maybe they would be worth addressing in some way.

I’ve had that specific thought about Wellington. It can already be a bit unpleasant at times. But all the way almost to Lancaster it’s a residential street, with a school in that area too, so it’s not just west of Weber that should be considered. Victoria is the street where the 7 traffic should go, but it might not be reasonable to expect Lancaster to accommodate a lot of traffic from Wellington to Victoria. Weber certainly can, though, so a road diet to discourage high volumes of traffic on Wellington between Weber and King might be sensible.

RE: Grand River Transit - dunkalunk - 05-26-2016

(05-26-2016, 01:19 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-26-2016, 12:57 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I don't think someone has entitlement issues if he or she wants safe streets. I expect there will be some pressures for traffic calming in Mount Hope in the future, but the streets there aren't exactly freeways so I don't think anything very radical would likely be proposed. I share your opinion that it's becoming a very family-oriented neighbourhood.

Nor I.  I assume everyone wants safe streets.  In the case of Mt Hope, even with the current diversions, it's a pretty low-traffic neighbourhood and parts of it are quiet as the tomb (  Wink  ) .  I do wonder what the future holds for Wellington, which could become quite high traffic once the new Hwy 7 is complete, unless plans are in place to keep that traffic off Wellington east of Weber.

The new Highway 7 won't connect directly with Wellington, but with Bingeman's Centre Drive (same street) pretty far east of the planned connections with Bruce and Edna. I don't think you'll see any major increase of traffic on Wellington between Lancaster and King, any remaining traffic would be encouraged onto Victoria by the time you reach Lancaster given the low speeds and frequent stop signs on Wellington.

RE: Grand River Transit - panamaniac - 05-26-2016

I don't know why I was thinking that there was an off-ramp directly into Wellington - I've seen the graphics of the future interchange, but it makes my head swim!

RE: Grand River Transit - Markster - 05-27-2016

Weber finally gets the iXpress stop it deserves.

And to think, we were talking about the need for that stop 15 months (and 50 pages) ago:

(02-24-2015, 12:10 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I feel like the GRH station should have been moved to Weber, rather than asking users of the ixpress there to walk to Park Street. If they are coming from east of King (or even Weber), that is a very significant walk. And Water and King to Bridgeport and King is quite a distance- a stop somewhere in there would be called for, I think. Admittedly there are no really logical trip generators, but the disruption to riders in those neighbourhoods is pretty significant without some stop.

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 05-29-2016

Thanks, zanate, for the blog post, and to everyone else who contacted GRT or otherwise tried to draw attention to the 200 detour stops on Weber. I guess it worked!

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 05-29-2016

Out of curiosity, does someone have a link to the GRT saying that Weber and Guelph would be reintroduced, but Weber and Union not? On the detour page, it identifies (starting June 1 for approximately four months) Weber and Victoria as a stop, but not Weber and Guelph. I don't think Weber/Victoria has been served by 200 detours so far.

RE: Grand River Transit - zanate - 05-30-2016

(05-29-2016, 04:24 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Out of curiosity, does someone have a link to the GRT saying that Weber and Guelph would be reintroduced, but Weber and Union not? On the detour page, it identifies (starting June 1 for approximately four months) Weber and Victoria as a stop, but not Weber and Guelph. I don't think Weber/Victoria has been served by 200 detours so far.

Nothing on the detour page for 200 yet, but this went by on Twitter this morning.

As for Weber/Victoria, I believe that is being put in place because of the detour away from King/Victoria. That starts Wednesday as well.

RE: Grand River Transit - MidTowner - 05-30-2016

Thanks! Still nothing on the 'Detours' page, but I guess that tweet is enough to be confident in going to the bus stop Wednesday.

RE: Grand River Transit - Elmira Guy - 06-08-2016

Does anyone know where the stop for #21 (Elmira) is at the mall?
According to GRT EasyGo app (only GRT app that works on my BB10), there is no service from stop 3798 (I assume because of LRT station construction) but I can't find where I would catch that bus.

RE: Grand River Transit - dunkalunk - 06-08-2016

GRT is on detour around Queen between Joseph and Courtland due to sewer repair work. Odd, since they just had pavers out on an overnight shift to finish off this street 5 days ago.

http://www.grt.ca/en/routesSchedules/Route-8.asp
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGZkyxWgeBa/

RE: Grand River Transit - Viewfromthe42 - 06-08-2016

It all but surely still stops at the mall, only the area where it usually stopped is closed off due to ION platform construction. EasyGO won't likely give you good timing information, but if you take the 21 towards Conestoga, it will drop you off there, and depart from there when it usually would.

RE: Grand River Transit - panamaniac - 06-08-2016

(06-08-2016, 12:50 PM)dunkalunk Wrote: GRT is on detour around Queen between Joseph and Courtland due to sewer repair work. Odd, since they just had pavers out on an overnight shift to finish off this street 5 days ago.

http://www.grt.ca/en/routesSchedules/Route-8.asp
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGZkyxWgeBa/

I just walked past that fairly large hole in Queen St earlier this morning.  It seems to be watermain or sewer related, I'm guessing.  I'm sure that there is a perfectly logical explanation for doing a substantial excavation on a newly paved bit of pavement.  There does have to be a logicall explanation..... doesn't there?