Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 04-03-2018

@robdrimmie I will believe it when I see it. Frankly I see no evidence that 'education' has begun. I walk that street twice daily and have not once seen a card on a windshield.

I also don't believe enforcement will keep the lanes clear. Maybe if the city shows a truly shocking level of dedication, actual long term (>10 minutes) parking will be prevented. But I routinely see vehicles stop in the lane for a few minutes for delivery or whatever. (and the other side drivers very often park partially in the bike lane as Canards picture shows) and I think that will be a continuous problem.

The thing that bugs me the most is this problem could have been solved simply by using a barrier curb. Why would we choose to create enormous problems for ourselves for no reason. Drives me absolutely nuts.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 04-03-2018

(04-03-2018, 12:37 PM)Canard Wrote: Re: the twitter plug in, yes, it’s broken, but anyone can click on the link, even if you don’t have a twitter account.

(Thank you Dan, and everyone else, who has chimed in on this! We need them to know how we feel about this.)

No, it's not clickable. At least for me, it goes to
www.waterlooregionconnected.com/%3Ca%20href=

And that's not very useful.

But I do agree with your twitter post, now that someone else posted a link to it.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 04-03-2018

Speaking of putting the burden of safety on cyclists, has anyone noticed these signs on Courtland?

[Image: fEonwCj.jpg]

I would love to put up a sign for motorists warning them to watch for crossing cyclists and pedestrians.

Where is this? In what context do I need to look for cars?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - KevinL - 04-03-2018

Courtland and Siebert (where the traffic signals remain masked).

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 04-03-2018

(04-03-2018, 02:04 PM)timc Wrote: I would love to put up a sign for motorists warning them to watch for crossing cyclists and pedestrians.

Like this one?  (On Kent Ave, at IHT.)

@kevinl. That is strange given there isn't any bike infra there. (Well except apparently a sign)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 04-03-2018

(04-03-2018, 01:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-03-2018, 12:37 PM)Canard Wrote: Re: the twitter plug in, yes, it’s broken, but anyone can click on the link, even if you don’t have a twitter account.

(Thank you Dan, and everyone else, who has chimed in on this! We need them to know how we feel about this.)

No, it's not clickable. At least for me, it goes to
www.waterlooregionconnected.com/%3Ca%20href=

And that's not very useful.

But I do agree with your twitter post, now that someone else posted a link to it.

Whoops, totally see that now. I've edited my post and will stop using the plugin.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 04-03-2018

(04-03-2018, 01:17 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: @robdrimmie I will believe it when I see it. Frankly I see no evidence that 'education' has begun.   I walk that street twice daily and have not once seen a card on a windshield.  

I also don't believe enforcement will keep the lanes clear.  Maybe if the city shows a truly shocking level of dedication, actual long term (>10 minutes) parking will be prevented.  But I routinely see vehicles stop in the lane for a few minutes for delivery or whatever. (and the other side drivers very often park partially in the bike lane as Canards picture shows) and I think that will be a continuous problem.  

The thing that bugs me the most is this problem could have been solved simply by using a barrier curb.  Why would we choose to create enormous problems for ourselves for no reason.  Drives me absolutely nuts.

Especially when segregated lanes were promised after much discussion and debate. Essentially, they didn’t build what was promised and agreed to.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Pheidippides - 04-03-2018

I don't quite understand the education piece. If you have a driver's license isn't that proof that you are educated enough to know what a no parking/no stopping sign looks like?

It would be interesting to see how quickly a group of bikes parked in the driving lane would be ticketed and removed.

In a little bit of justice I saw a driver unable to remove their vehicle from the cycling lane because someone else had double parked in the vehicle lane and run in to one of the businesses.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 04-05-2018

Here is what the City of Waterloo claims they are putting on people’s windshields in UpTown Waterloo:

https://twitter.com/citywaterloo/status/981873215290200064?s=21

I’ll believe it when I see it.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Viewfromthe42 - 04-05-2018

"nor does it receive any winter maintenance" is a blatant lie though; those lanes were plowed thoroughly for parking; I wonder why they would lie so explicitly?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 04-05-2018

(04-05-2018, 09:01 AM)Canard Wrote: Here is what the City of Waterloo claims they are putting on people’s windshields in UpTown Waterloo:

https://twitter.com/citywaterloo/status/981873215290200064?s=21

I’ll believe it when I see it.

“Future” bike lane? What a load of BS.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 04-05-2018

(04-05-2018, 09:39 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: "nor does it receive any winter maintenance" is a blatant lie though; those lanes were plowed thoroughly for parking; I wonder why they would lie so explicitly?

I'm guessing it's more of a left hand/right hand thing, but I'm feeling charitable this morning.  Or I should say, I'm feeling charitable before I go read the twitter thread.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 04-05-2018

Please reply if you do read it, I feel like I’m the only one bringing this up with them.