Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - robdrimmie - 05-09-2018

(05-03-2018, 11:08 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 10:37 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I cross the roundabout by foot there on a pretty regular basis, especially now that I'm cycling again most days. I walk my bike through it on the sidewalks rather than ride on the road though.

During rush hour periods, I feel quite safe. Traffic is typically backed up enough that the cars are stopped or moving very slowly, and I can make eye contact with all the drivers. It does usually take a minute or two for everyone to figure out that a pedestrian is trying to cross, and I have no shame about standing in front of someone who has stopped until the next lane is clear.

I think now that construction has settled people are following normal conventions and it's the same as crossing at any other 2+ lane roundabout in town.

Anecdotally, there's usually another pedestrian in the pair of roundabouts, but I haven't been keeping meaningful count so that's very subject to confirmation bias. I've been surprised how many pedestrians use the system, though there has typically been a low to moderate amount of foot traffic in the area so it probably shouldn't be that surprising.

The point where I find it to be most difficult is crossing at Alpine, specifically from the Lowe's corner to the McDonald's corner, when there is a bus or truck or other large vehicle in the right lane, especially at night. I've walked back from the intersection to encourage such large vehicles to move on. I have no visibility, and I have no confidence that drivers will see a stopped vehicle and conform. Most will, but I'm not going to take that gamble.

FWIW I believe most of the "sidewalks" there are actually MUTs where cycling is permitted.  Of course, legally crossing is not, because of course it isn't.

That being said, not that I cross often, but sometimes I ride through, and sometimes I walk.  I never trust drivers to stop, but I am more than willing to put my bike in the middle of the lane and force drivers to stop.

As for ped traffic, yes, there are actually people who do it.  My partner was walking through there daily for 8 years until just recently (after she was hit, she thought a change was in order).  Drivers have this perception that "nobody" uses it...but that's really more of a statement about how drivers very often don't notice pedestrians who are there.

Yeah, I know about the MUTs but as far as I've seen there's still nothing on these ones that says "it's cool for bikes to be there". I used to ride on the street through the intersections and I've seen a couple of people do so in the roundabouts, but I'm not that confident in my ability to bike quickly or drivers' ability to deal with the increased challenge of a cyclist in the system there. There's a lot going on visually and a bike going 20km/h is a surprise to many.

I'm really sorry your partner got hit. That really sucks. I hope she's okay?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 05-09-2018

Brand new on Lancaster:

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - creative - 05-09-2018

A couple of those popped up on Manchester Road but only at the end near River Rd. They appear to be working except when people park close to them and you have to go around the sign on the left.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 05-09-2018

Likely a response to the increased traffic volume with the Victoria Street closure on both streets.

I just spotted another one! I tweeted it out. (Too painful to post resized pics on mobile)

Two more!

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - clasher - 05-09-2018

Nice. I imagine they won't last long.

Has anyone been down by Old Mill near the Homer Watson Gallery? The bridge is supposed to be under construction and I'm wondering if it's actually closed yet?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 05-10-2018

Do you have a map? I can’t picture where that is, but I came across a closed bridge yesterday on my ride.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 05-10-2018

There is a bridge closed on Old Mill, but it was possible for pedestrians and cyclists to squeeze through on the west side as of Sunday (although I don't know if it's legal, it does seem they left a space there deliberately). Unfortunately with the park construction at the Optimists Field at Pioneer and Homer Watson and the major erosion on the trail in the Schneider Greenway leading to the trail closure there, there aren't really any good detours for cyclists anymore.

Note: to clarify, the bridge closure is on Old Mill Road over Schneider's Creek between Mill Park Drive and Pinnacle Drive.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 05-10-2018

(05-10-2018, 06:48 AM)jamincan Wrote: There is a bridge closed on Old Mill, but it was possible for pedestrians and cyclists to squeeze through on the west side as of Sunday (although I don't know if it's legal, it does seem they left a space there deliberately). Unfortunately with the park construction at the Optimists Field at Pioneer and Homer Watson and the major erosion on the trail in the Schneider Greenway leading to the trail closure there, there aren't really any good detours for cyclists anymore.

Note: to clarify, the bridge closure is on Old Mill Road over Schneider's Creek between Mill Park Drive and Pinnacle Drive.

That's a big problem for cycling in the area.  I know of no other detour than riding on Homer-Watson which is pretty much a non-starter.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 05-10-2018

(05-10-2018, 07:44 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-10-2018, 06:48 AM)jamincan Wrote: There is a bridge closed on Old Mill, but it was possible for pedestrians and cyclists to squeeze through on the west side as of Sunday (although I don't know if it's legal, it does seem they left a space there deliberately). Unfortunately with the park construction at the Optimists Field at Pioneer and Homer Watson and the major erosion on the trail in the Schneider Greenway leading to the trail closure there, there aren't really any good detours for cyclists anymore.

That's a big problem for cycling in the area.  I know of no other detour than riding on Homer-Watson which is pretty much a non-starter.

There are two potential detours:

1. Trail from Mill Park Dr. through Homer Watson Park, under Homer Watson, and then S. on Homer Watson over Schneider Creek where you can either turn left back into the park and the trails, or go right at Doon S Dr and take the trail under Homer Watson on the south side of the creek into the park.

2. Turn right onto Greenwood Valley Dr. from Mill Park Dr., then right onto Pioneer. Turn left onto Old Carriage Dr. Turn onto the trail to Doon Village Rd. then left onto the trail that goes under Homer Watson and back into Homer Watson Park.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - chutten - 05-10-2018

Spotted today in Uptown:

It's a sign that blocks the bike lane parking dead space? Construction site?

In front of the sign, not pictured, are two parked cars.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - KevinT - 05-10-2018

(05-10-2018, 09:27 AM)jamincan Wrote:
(05-10-2018, 07:44 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: That's a big problem for cycling in the area.  I know of no other detour than riding on Homer-Watson which is pretty much a non-starter.

There are two potential detours:

1. Trail from Mill Park Dr. through Homer Watson Park, under Homer Watson, and then S. on Homer Watson over Schneider Creek where you can either turn left back into the park and the trails, or go right at Doon S Dr and take the trail under Homer Watson on the south side of the creek into the park.

2. Turn right onto Greenwood Valley Dr. from Mill Park Dr., then right onto Pioneer. Turn left onto Old Carriage Dr. Turn onto the trail to Doon Village Rd. then left onto the trail that goes under Homer Watson and back into Homer Watson Park.

Detour 1 hits the washed out area, but detour 2 sounds good.  I made a picture:

[Image: Detour.jpg]

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 05-10-2018

Ohhhhhhhh I know what bridge you're talking about.  It's closed, yes, but very open to Cyclists and Pedestrians. No detour whatsoever required.

https://twitter.com/Canardiain/status/987719794253352961

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 05-10-2018

Thanks for the info guys!

Glad Kitchener managed to accommodate a detour in this case.