Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 05-11-2018

(05-11-2018, 02:21 PM)timc Wrote:
(05-10-2018, 09:59 PM)jamincan Wrote: Sometimes I'll go if someone yields for me and it's obviously safe to go. If it isn't I just stand my ground, look them firmly in the eyes and shake my head no. It usually seems to work.

Some drivers like to be the boss of the intersection/crossing and won't take no for an answer.

Stalemate!  Smile

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 05-13-2018

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 05-13-2018

There could not be a more perfectly frustrating photo.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 05-14-2018

That's so terrible I actually laughed out loud. I hope they're towed.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 05-14-2018

Ha! Towed for parking in a bike lane? When pigs fly.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 05-14-2018

(05-13-2018, 08:31 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: There could not be a more perfectly frustrating photo.

Just so we're clear, you're not talking about the one where the Sugar Mountain sign is still there, but the store has been closed for months, right? ;-)

It should say No Candy / No Candy

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 05-14-2018

I would have called bylaw, but... bylaw is closed all weekend, because nothing bad ever happens then (only M-F during business hours).

I really wished someone would have put the barrels back in the right place in X/Y... but in Z they'd end up on top of the cars.

(05-14-2018, 12:03 PM)Canard Wrote: I would have called bylaw, but... bylaw is closed all weekend, because nothing bad ever happens then (only M-F during business hours).

I really wished someone would have put the barrels back in the right place in X/Y... but in Z they'd end up on top of the cars.

The dispatcher is closed all weekend, but bylaw officers are available on and off.  If you call the WRPS non-emergency number (519) 570- 9777, they will dispatch the bylaw officer if they're available.

It is pretty terrible service compared with Kitchener though.  I generally have trouble getting a hold of bylaw for CoW, often spending 10-20 minutes on hold.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Coke6pk - 05-14-2018

(05-13-2018, 08:31 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: There could not be a more perfectly frustrating photo.

You mean the one that says "Your Bike Lanes Coming Soon", signifying they (the bike lanes) are not here yet and therefore, with the absence of No Parking signs that car is fine?

[I feel your frustration on this, but just playing devil's advocate]

Coke

(05-14-2018, 02:27 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:

You mean the one that says "Your Bike Lanes Coming Soon", signifying they (the bike lanes) are not here yet and therefore, with the absence of No Parking signs that car is fine?

[I feel your frustration on this, but just playing devil's advocate]

Coke

Play devils advocate all you want, I'm mostly angry at the city here.

That being said, "Absence of No Parking signs"....there have been no parking signs present on that road, both temporary and permanent, for at least 5 months now, which bylaw is explicitly refusing to acknowledge the existence of.  They are there, no matter how often people pretend they aren't.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Coke6pk - 05-14-2018

Don't get me wrong, I feel your frustration.

The hydrant picture irks me the most.

I was just stating the wording the city put on that sign, just goes further to emphasize that what they (drivers) are doing is OK.  I'm not personally justifying it.

Coke

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 05-14-2018

Yeah, there are No Parking signs there, and have been for months.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 05-14-2018

...and those bike lanes are actually finished. The whole southernmost block is complete.

(05-14-2018, 02:49 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I feel your frustration.

The hydrant picture irks me the most.

I was just stating the wording the city put on that sign, just goes further to emphasize that what they (drivers) are doing is OK.  I'm not personally justifying it.

Coke

I definitely think we agree.

I just wanted to make it absolutely clear that there have been the correct, and also permanent no parking signs on that street for five months now, and the city and bylaw have continued to refuse to acknowledge their existence.

At a certain point, we're literally being gaslit by the city.

This type of behaviour is entirely unacceptable, and frankly, I think there's a good argument that bylaws cannot be legally enforced when they are being enforced selectively like this.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - chutten - 05-14-2018

I get in to my uptown place of work around 0830 most days. I'll adjust barrels that seem out of place :)