Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 03-17-2019

(03-17-2019, 08:24 PM)Canard Wrote:
(12-28-2017, 09:24 PM)Canard Wrote: I've come up with a pretty good little routine for brushing off the snow and then cleaning my chain, maybe I'll make a little video.  This is the little device I bought for cleaning my chain - it's super easy to use, and it only takes about 2 minutes to clean the chain, dry it off, and re-lube after each ride.

[Image: 5043705-GRN00.jpg?w=500&h=500&auto=forma...ill&bg=FFF]

I can't recommend this device anymore.  I've gone through two now and both have the same failure mode - the plastic cracks around the handle, leaking the fluid out all over.

MEC's stopped selling them in their stores, so I suspect I'm not the only one who's had issues.  I picked up MEC's knock-off version today, and hope it's more robust.  The plastic seems much stronger - I'll be using it without the handle!

I'm curious, are the two different models you have had different?

I have a similar model but I find it inconvenient and cumbersome to use, so I rarely ever clean my chain.  How do you clean the degreaser off your chain afterwards?  And then re-lube it?  I'll fully admit I have terrible chain maintenance, and probably should improve.

It's also worth noting, since I'm in a condo parking garage my facilities are limited.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Spokes - 03-17-2019

There are so many of these that are so similar, some identical to others. Most have the same issues sadly.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - robdrimmie - 03-18-2019

Park Tool makes a nearly identical device but it's just different enough that it might not fail in the same way. I've been using mine for over five years without incident now, but my routine is considerably less frequent: I only clean my chain weekly in the summer (I don't ride in the winter typically). I got mine online, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them at Black Arrow Cycles.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 03-18-2019

(03-17-2019, 09:17 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-17-2019, 08:24 PM)Canard Wrote: I can't recommend this device anymore.  I've gone through two now and both have the same failure mode - the plastic cracks around the handle, leaking the fluid out all over.

MEC's stopped selling them in their stores, so I suspect I'm not the only one who's had issues.  I picked up MEC's knock-off version today, and hope it's more robust.  The plastic seems much stronger - I'll be using it without the handle!

I'm curious, are the two different models you have had different?

I have a similar model but I find it inconvenient and cumbersome to use, so I rarely ever clean my chain.  How do you clean the degreaser off your chain afterwards?  And then re-lube it?  I'll fully admit I have terrible chain maintenance, and probably should improve.

It's also worth noting, since I'm in a condo parking garage my facilities are limited.

Degreaser is probably overkill unless the chain is really dirty. Just run a mixture of Dawn and water, wipe it dry with a rag, and then reapply the chain lube the normal way. You should be able to do all of this in a parking garage.

I had the same cleaner crack on me as well. My typical approach now is to just spray some degreaser on a rag, run it over the chain to get the worst off, and then relube as necessary. If the chain needs better cleaning, I just remove it entirely (I use quicklinks) and use degreaser and a toothbrush to get it properly clean. This also lets me get at the jockey wheels/cassette/chainrings and clean those too, as they can often be worse than the chain, especially on my cx bike.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 03-18-2019

It may be the case that I put too much oil on the chain, I find any time I lube it, I wipe it off forever, but then still end up with a greasy chain that blackens anything that touches it.

But I rarely do more cleaning than wiping it with a dry rag.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - creative - 03-18-2019

Mineral spirits, tooth brush and rag will clean up the worst mess in minutes.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Spokes - 03-18-2019

Any time you lube a chain, dirt is going to stick to it fairly soon after. Impossible to keep it "clean"

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - clasher - 03-18-2019

I never clean my chains anymore. I let the oil soak in when I lube it and then wipe it until it’s almost dry looking. The only place oil really needs to be is inside the rollers. I think solvents and degreasers lead to oil braking down inside the rollers and faster chainwear since it’s almost impossible to get it out of the rollers once it gets in. I use chain-l lube and it’s kind of thick and smells a lot like the oil I use at work to put in industrial bearings and it works well and lasts a long time for my kind of riding.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 03-21-2019

Brian Doucet has a pretty substantial twitter thread going from his video of the terrifyingly insane cycling infra on Northfield:

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 03-21-2019

(03-21-2019, 08:54 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Brian Doucet has a pretty substantial twitter thread going from his video of the terrifyingly insane cycling infra on Northfield:

I defy anybody to explain how magical engineering expertise explains why this design is better than my design (multi-use trail in the middle between the tracks). Shocking.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 03-21-2019

(03-21-2019, 11:13 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 08:54 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Brian Doucet has a pretty substantial twitter thread going from his video of the terrifyingly insane cycling infra on Northfield:

I defy anybody to explain how magical engineering expertise explains why this design is better than my design (multi-use trail in the middle between the tracks). Shocking.

Well you see, ijmorlan, your design doesn't appear in the standard engineering design guides, and their design does appear in the standard engineering design guides...

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Spokes - 03-22-2019

Wow. Couldn't pay me enough.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Rainrider22 - 03-22-2019

This is the best our regional engineers could come up with ? Not a chance would I position myself in the middle of high speed traffic like that... I am without words to express my disappointment in what they were thinking. Clearly another example of the region not giving a shit about cycling infrastructure. We need a complete paradigm shift in our thinking !! And leadership... This starts at the top..

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 03-22-2019

(03-21-2019, 11:18 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 11:13 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I defy anybody to explain how magical engineering expertise explains why this design is better than my design (multi-use trail in the middle between the tracks). Shocking.

Well you see, ijmorlan, your design doesn't appear in the standard engineering design guides, and their design does appear in the standard engineering design guides...

Ding ding ding ding ding!

Too much blind rule-following and not enough thinking. A poor imitation of real engineering.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 03-22-2019

What has been built is far better than what was there before. But I have to wonder, is there enough width to the bridge as it is to build something more appropriate?