Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - panamaniac - 08-03-2020

(08-03-2020, 11:22 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: At pedestrian crossings there's the white lines that mark the crossover itself and then there are white triangles with the tips pointing towards cars that mark where to stop. The white triangles are sharks teeth.

Yeah, like I said, I just never noticed, at least not consciously.  The best I can come up with is awareness of paint on the road that means I'm not supposed to take out the pedestrian.  Wink

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 08-03-2020

(08-03-2020, 11:19 AM)panamaniac Wrote: These posts have me wondering - I've never heard the term "shark teeth" and I can't say they're familiar to me from my driving - I guess I just never noticed them.  I gather from looking it up that they're supposed to mark the spot where you stop when yielding to pedestrians?

Actually they're more general than that, I first saw them in Europe, but they have been adopted here in a few places.  Generally they show who is supposed to yield. When you face sharks teeth, you yield to cross traffic, wherever it is.

Unfortunately, Ontario also uses sharks teeth facing the other direction to denote vertical deflection (Europe uses piano keys for the same purpose).  This means I doubt sharks teeth will ever be broadly understood.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - robdrimmie - 08-04-2020

A driver hit a 73-year-old cyclist in Cambridge with their car.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/senior-airlifted-to-hospital-after-he-was-hit-cycling-in-cambridge-1.5673879

There's not a lot of meat in the article, so I'll paste the whole thing:

Quote:A 73-year-old man has been airlifted to hospital after being hit while riding his bike.

Police say it happened around 1 p.m. on Monday at Elgin Street North and Samuelson Street in Cambridge.

Waterloo regional police believe the vehicle was driving "at a high rate of speed" when it left the road and hit the man, who was on his bicycle.

He suffered serious injuries and was taken to a hospital out of Waterloo region.

Police say charges are pending, and anyone with information is asked to contact officers at 519-570-9777 ext. 8856.

I learned about it via a reddit thread. I was confused on the timeframe for a little while so have thrashed around editing this post a bit

https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comments/i3mrda/what_happened_at_st_benedict_css_yesterday

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Acitta - 08-05-2020

Problematic gate replaced by removable post on trail from West Ave. to IHT.    

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 08-05-2020

All right, so some idiot stole the seat from my not-so-desirable bicycle, inside our condo garage. I have a spare seat (maybe less desirable than the one that was stolen, which I suppose is a good thing) but where can I pick up an inexpensive seat post? I don't need carbon fibre for this ...

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - clasher - 08-05-2020

Black Arrow might have a basic seat post, what size do you need? I have a couple of oddball ones kicking around if you know what size you need I'd give you one for a fiver.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - tomh009 - 08-05-2020

I better check then -- I take it that it's the post diameter that's in question?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jamincan - 08-06-2020

Length can sometimes be important too. Odds are that clasher hasn't cut his seat posts down, so it's not likely to be an issue, but the general rule of thumb seems to be that you want to have at least 3" of post in the frame.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - clasher - 08-06-2020

If you are measuring you'd want vernier/digital calipers, a tape measure won't be accurate enough. Otherwise you'll wanna take the frame to the shop you're buying from.

I just looked at my posts; one is a short vintage one 25.4, one is a longer 29.2 which is an odd size, and another is a zero-setback 25.8. They're all kind of unusual sizes... I've been cleaning out my parts stash so all the more common sized stuff is gone.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Acitta - 08-11-2020

Regional council cancels bike lane pilot in Cambridge

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 08-11-2020

(08-11-2020, 01:08 PM)Acitta Wrote: Regional council cancels bike lane pilot in Cambridge

They also tried to cancel the bike lanes in Kitchener on Westmount.

Lorentz and Harris were particularly hostile, the level of hypocracy is sickening with their motion...I have nothing polite to say about their actions in this issue. I spoke to it, and fortunately it did not pass.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - westwardloo - 08-11-2020

I would act surprised, but this is Cambridge. A city that created the horror show that is Hespeler rd.  Beautiful older parts to that city and I don't want to make this a shit on Cambridge post.  They complain constantly about not getting adequate attention in this region. Then they do ridiculous things like listen to a vocal minority when it comes to Bike Lanes, LRT, even their community centre. Feels like those representing Cambridge are happy to support suburban car culture, but hesitant to embrace 21st urban planning practices. Even if it is a temporary pilot. Hospital and ambulance are literally quoted in saying it has not affected there service at all. But a couple of drivers can provide anecdotal evidence and the Council submits defeat. Very disappointed in this news. I think that the local bike advocacy groups need to get organized and promote rides along these temporary bike lanes.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 08-11-2020

I didn’t follow the debate on removing the pilot in Cambridge, but I have been a bit worried that the hacked-together nature of the temporary pilot might poison public opinion against bike lanes. There are places where I feel confident that a permanent installation would provide a turn lane or more clearly delineate who is supposed to be where and would work well; whereas the temporary installation looks messy and under some traffic conditions causes unnecessary bottlenecks.

Still it’s nice to see confirmation that the engineers were wrong to say that we need streets like Erb and Westmount to be four lanes. I think reducing them to two lanes plus appropriate turn lanes and separated bicycle lanes would dramatically improve the city, reduce maintenance costs, and hardly affect motor vehicle traffic at all (except maybe in a hypothetical future where we decide that we actually want everybody to drive everywhere after all and cancel the buses; then the four lanes might actually be needed, although they wouldn’t help without turn lanes anyway).

Under current traffic levels I’m not even seeing much evidence of needing turn lanes except maybe occasionally, although that will change if traffic levels increase again.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 08-11-2020

(08-11-2020, 01:44 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I didn’t follow the debate on removing the pilot in Cambridge, but I have been a bit worried that the hacked-together nature of the temporary pilot might poison public opinion against bike lanes. There are places where I feel confident that a permanent installation would provide a turn lane or more clearly delineate who is supposed to be where and would work well; whereas the temporary installation looks messy and under some traffic conditions causes unnecessary bottlenecks.

Still it’s nice to see confirmation that the engineers were wrong to say that we need streets like Erb and Westmount to be four lanes. I think reducing them to two lanes plus appropriate turn lanes and separated bicycle lanes would dramatically improve the city, reduce maintenance costs, and hardly affect motor vehicle traffic at all (except maybe in a hypothetical future where we decide that we actually want everybody to drive everywhere after all and cancel the buses; then the four lanes might actually be needed, although they wouldn’t help without turn lanes anyway).

Under current traffic levels I’m not even seeing much evidence of needing turn lanes except maybe occasionally, although that will change if traffic levels increase again.

I think you are right that the fear in Cambridge was that this would hurt other cycling projects...ironic given that opponents with 100% regularity preface their opposition with "I'm not against bike lanes but"...

But it's disappointing none the less...

I agree wholeheartedly with westwardloo.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 08-11-2020

(08-11-2020, 01:54 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I think you are right that the fear in Cambridge was that this would hurt other cycling projects...ironic given that opponents with 100% regularity preface their opposition with "I'm not against bike lanes but"...

But it's disappointing none the less...

I agree wholeheartedly with westwardloo.

Agreed. I’m happy we’re trying more bike lanes, just worried they won’t be evaluated fairly — minor issues that could easily be resolved in detailed design might instead be interpreted as reasons not to make the lanes permanent.