Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - dtkvictim - 08-27-2020

Do you all prefer these mediocre crossing islands over nothing at all? I think I'd personally prefer it if they did nothing if they are going to build crossings like West and Queen. I know there are differences in traffic levels, but I always find the crossings without an island much easier to negotiate. The exception being Union which I think is a pretty good crossing because the island is huge. Something like the pedestrian lights on Jubilee would be nice, but that would of course flip the traffic priority.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 08-27-2020

(08-27-2020, 05:46 PM)Ldtkvictim Wrote: Do you all prefer these mediocre crossing islands over nothing at all? I think I'd personally prefer it if they did nothing if they are going to build crossings like West and Queen. I know there are differences in traffic levels, but I always find the crossings without an island much easier to negotiate. The exception being Union which I think is a pretty good crossing because the island is huge. Something like the pedestrian lights on Jubilee would be nice, but that would of course flip the traffic priority.

Given the crossing at Victoria has seen a fatality and half a dozen serious injuries in the past decade or so, I’m glad they are doing something. 

But I am still cross how pathetic our region is on this issue.

I do agree that in some places the islands are worse than nothing.  I feel that way about West honestly.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 08-28-2020

(08-27-2020, 05:46 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Do you all prefer these mediocre crossing islands over nothing at all? I think I'd personally prefer it if they did nothing if they are going to build crossings like West and Queen. I know there are differences in traffic levels, but I always find the crossings without an island much easier to negotiate. The exception being Union which I think is a pretty good crossing because the island is huge. Something like the pedestrian lights on Jubilee would be nice, but that would of course flip the traffic priority.

I prefer the islands over nothing. Crossing two directions of traffic is much more difficult than one direction. But these dinky islands are still dangerous. If I was pulling a bike trailer, they would be completely insufficient.

I know the Weber island is disdained, but it does make possible a crossing that used to be impossible.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 08-28-2020

(08-28-2020, 09:55 AM)timc Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 05:46 PM)dtkvictim Wrote: Do you all prefer these mediocre crossing islands over nothing at all? I think I'd personally prefer it if they did nothing if they are going to build crossings like West and Queen. I know there are differences in traffic levels, but I always find the crossings without an island much easier to negotiate. The exception being Union which I think is a pretty good crossing because the island is huge. Something like the pedestrian lights on Jubilee would be nice, but that would of course flip the traffic priority.

I prefer the islands over nothing. Crossing two directions of traffic is much more difficult than one direction. But these dinky islands are still dangerous. If I was pulling a bike trailer, they would be completely insufficient.

I know the Weber island is disdained, but it does make possible a crossing that used to be impossible.

FWIW, I crossed Weber for years before that island went in. It certainly was possible before.

But all that's really been traded is terror for convenience. Since I can theoretically cross half way now, I can cross faster because I don't have to wait for a break in both directions to cross the whole way.  But standing on the island is utterly terrifying.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jeffster - 08-29-2020

Bike lanes are now in on Stirling Ave S, between Charles and Courtland. I am guessing before the end of the year, it should be complete from Charles to Homer Watson, or potentially Greenbrook. Anything beyond Greenbrook is a sharrow for all movers (bikes, walkers, cars).

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - KevinL - 08-29-2020

Will be interesting to see how these improvements get used once the bridge to Strasburg opens.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 08-29-2020

(08-29-2020, 09:40 AM)KevinL Wrote: Will be interesting to see how these improvements get used once the bridge to Strasburg opens.

Which bridge?

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - goggolor - 08-29-2020

The Union Street East reconstruction project has an EngageWR site now: https://www.engagewr.ca/union-reconstruction

They're evaluating between two options - reconstruction with dedicated cycle lanes/MUT, and without. Either way the project is supposed to include a secondary crossing for the Spur Line Trail, letting trail users cross on Moore at the lights instead of using the island.

(08-29-2020, 10:15 AM)goggolor Wrote: The Union Street East reconstruction project has an EngageWR site now: https://www.engagewr.ca/union-reconstruction

They're evaluating between two options - reconstruction with dedicated cycle lanes/MUT, and without. Either way the project is supposed to include a secondary crossing for the Spur Line Trail, letting trail users cross on Moore at the lights instead of using the island.

I'm excited to read about it, but the video thumbnail does not give me much hope.

It's frustrating to see a reasonable narrow street open up into a gargantuan massive unnecessarily wide road with gigantic turn radii at intersections right where peds will be crossing.

Edit: Reviewing these designs, I have far more questions than answers....

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - ijmorlan - 08-29-2020

(08-29-2020, 10:15 AM)goggolor Wrote: …, letting trail users cross on Moore at the lights instead of using the island.

What is this supposed to mean? They can already do that if they want. Or does it mean there will be little bits of trail parallel to Union and Moore to get to the intersection (i.e., slightly wider sidewalk, officially designated as multi-use trail)?

But given the number of traffic lights on King, and the number of users of the trail, why not just put a crossing signal in for the trail?

(08-29-2020, 10:49 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 10:15 AM)goggolor Wrote: …, letting trail users cross on Moore at the lights instead of using the island.

What is this supposed to mean? They can already do that if they want. Or does it mean there will be little bits of trail parallel to Union and Moore to get to the intersection (i.e., slightly wider sidewalk, officially designated as multi-use trail)?

But given the number of traffic lights on King, and the number of users of the trail, why not just put a crossing signal in for the trail?

Because regional engineers control the signals, and unless thousands of people start driving their cars up the trail, they aren't going to willingly accommodate any trail users.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - plam - 08-29-2020

(08-29-2020, 10:19 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: It's frustrating to see a reasonable narrow street open up into a gargantuan massive unnecessarily wide road with gigantic turn radii at intersections right where peds will be crossing.

Edit: Reviewing these designs, I have far more questions than answers....

Union's already not that narrow though, it has the weird lane and a half thing I think (and from reviewing Google Maps).

I pointed out that Belmont/Union to King/Union would be fantastic for linking with IHT. Otherwise it's kind of awkward.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - KevinL - 08-29-2020

(08-29-2020, 10:11 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 09:40 AM)KevinL Wrote: Will be interesting to see how these improvements get used once the bridge to Strasburg opens.

Which bridge?

The pedestrian bridge over the highway, connecting Avalon/Stirling with Chandler/Strasburg.

(08-29-2020, 08:28 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 10:11 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Which bridge?

The pedestrian bridge over the highway, connecting Avalon/Stirling with Chandler/Strasburg.

Ahh...of course...thanks.

Lol...they claim that in the no cycling proposal, that cyclists would use a yet to be determined parallel route.

That's the usual kind of crap we hear for cycling. There is not a single other through road between King and Margaret (let alone Lancaster) between Erb and Wellington. But they are no doubt only considering the route between Spur line and King, because that's their scope, which means cyclists would be routed down circuitous routes with no crossings.

And it's funny, I complained about the excessively wide King/Union intersection, I still stand by that objection, but in the technical design, that intersection has been narrowed by a solid 3 meters. Where are the fiscal conservatives, why are they not upset about the construction and paving of 3 meters of wasted pavement.

Trying a new thing, a public tweet thread in response. .