Waterloo Region Connected
Cycling in Waterloo Region - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Cycling in Waterloo Region (/showthread.php?tid=186)

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 07-27-2016

(07-27-2016, 10:01 AM)clasher Wrote: I rest on the curb, usually a good fit for riding a bike doesn't permit the rider to put a foot down and stay seated at the same time. I find it easier to lean on the curb with one foot down, especially if I'm riding my fancy road bike with the clip-in shoes. Even on my city bike with flat pedals I still do it though. The only place I wouldn't lean on the curb is where there are right turn lanes or a wide enough lane that cars can still make rights... in which case I'm in the middle or left side of the regular traffic lane. Nobody likes a queue jumper though.

I also enjoy a place to rest my foot, although I'm also motivated to stop somewhat ahead of traffic so that they know I'm there.  On roads with a huge turning radius (most roads) this is difficult because the curb curves away before the stop line.

What we really need is this:  http://www.copenhagenize.com/2010/01/holding-on-to-cyclists-in-copenhagen.html

Generally I'll also block or move left for right turning vehicles.  It seems polite, unlike turning right across a cyclist which is dangerous and rude.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 07-27-2016

(07-27-2016, 10:42 AM)Markster Wrote: Be chill Smile

This is by far the best advice.

That being said, the real problem with it in our part of the world comes right back to lack of infrastructure.  If everywhere had 2 meter wide separated cyclepaths, who cares if someone slower queue jumps at the light, you can pass them easily when you start moving again.  But in our world of 1.2 meter wide bike lanes (minus a 0.3 meter curb) passing someone is a tricky proposition.  

That's really the only part that would frustrate me.

Of course, any time I get frustrated at a cyclist on the road, I take a look around, within moments I'll see a driver on their cell phone, and I once again have perspective.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 07-27-2016

(07-27-2016, 10:42 AM)Markster Wrote: Be chill Smile

Good counsel. I've been trying to remember to take deep breaths!

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 07-27-2016

I've never understood the creeping mentality at all. As a motorist I sit there at the light and I watch, and without fail there are people always inching forward. Like how hard is it to sit there with your foot on the brake? What is the social or psychological reason that this occurs?

As for enchrochinhg the crosswalk... I can't believe that happens every time I see it. Like nobody knows what the Stop Bar is anymore. Sad. I experience no worse guilt than when I accidentally move ahead to turn right on a red, and realize I can't, and then have to stop again, blocking the crosswalk and somebody has to go around me. Sad

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - MidTowner - 08-04-2016

The assault of someone on a bike with a car downtown the other week was mentioned in another thread, and a few people wondered what the charges would be. I just noticed that the ‘Major Incidents’ page on WRPS says that the driver has indeed been charged with assault with a weapon.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - rangersfan - 08-05-2016

As an add on to the comment above.
I was waiting in a traffic jam on Weber and Water St on my bike yesterday when from behind me a guy in a car screamed ' move that f***** bike' before the guy rammed up the side walk and tearing across the parking lot ( of which I was in front of the driveway for) on a wide angle and then flew down an alley way of some sort. The aggressiveness of this person's actions stunned me for a couple of seconds.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - Canard - 08-06-2016

I'll turn the tables a little bit - I'm a fan of focusing on the positive, so I'll mention that in the few months I've been riding a bike in the city, I've had lots of good experiences - drivers being very courteous and careful and waving me through (when appropriate), that sort of thing. I'm acutely aware when people are giving me a little extra space. I've found it to be an enjoyable experience, and it's helped me build my confidence to ride in traffic.

I'm still a bit too self-conscious to fully take the lane with the "sharrows" on Queen, between Lancaster and Weber, though. I still always ride to the side, there. Is the intent with "sharrows" that it is recommended (required?) that cyclists take the whole lane, or only that it enables one to do so, at their discression?

By the way; the trail adjacent the ion line, from Columbia to where it meets Wes Graham at the North, is now all finished up - new pavement, and sod down at the sides (instead of the gravel drop-off). It's lovely!

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 08-06-2016

(08-06-2016, 07:45 AM)Canard Wrote: I'll turn the tables a little bit - I'm a fan of focusing on the positive, so I'll mention that in the few months I've been riding a bike in the city, I've had lots of good experiences - drivers being very courteous and careful and waving me through (when appropriate), that sort of thing. I'm acutely aware when people are giving me a little extra space. I've found it to be an enjoyable experience, and it's helped me build my confidence to ride in traffic.

I'm still a bit too self-conscious to fully take the lane with the "sharrows" on Queen, between Lancaster and Weber, though. I still always ride to the side, there.  Is the intent with "sharrows" that it is recommended (required?) that cyclists take the whole lane, or only that it enables one to do so, at their discression?

By the way; the trail adjacent the ion line, from Columbia to where it meets Wes Graham at the North, is now all finished up - new pavement, and sod down at the sides (instead of the gravel drop-off). It's lovely!

https://www.kitchener.ca/en/livinginkitchener/resources/Bike_SharrowsPoster_Sept14_FNL.pdf

https://www.kitchener.ca/en/livinginkitchener/Sharrows_in_Downtown_Kitchener.asp

Sharrows definitely do not require you to ride in the centre, but it is at least "recommended", but not moreso than I think it would be without the sharrows.  Our city seems to do a decent job of positioning sharrows correctly, so that, on narrow roads, like Queen, they're in the middle.  The point is of course, to discourage close overtakes.  But for some people, I suppose it may be picking your poison, do you prefer close passes, or tailgaiting.

For me, personally, sharrows don't change my cycling behaviour, on too narrow lanes, I will almost always take the lane, especially if there's oncoming traffic.  Sharrows, I think at best, provide wayfinding, and perhaps something to point at when a negative interaction does occur.  Generally, I, and most other advocates I've talked to in the region, don't feel that sharrows qualify as infrastructure.

The one exception that I'll mention is King St., or any street with parking, it is important to ride away from parked cars, the page says at least 1 meter, but that's still pretty close to the door zone, I would highly recommend riding centre on King Smile.

As for good experiences, I'm glad you've had positive interactions.  It is always good to focus on the positive.  I think the type of interactions one has have a great deal to do with when (and where) one rides.  When I go out riding on Sunday's, I basically experience no bad interactions.  Driver's are almost always polite and courteous, and generally, paying attention.  During rush hour, on a busy road, things are somewhat...different.  I'm not sure when exactly you've been riding.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - rangersfan - 08-06-2016

In general I have had good experiences as a cyclists with a few out of the norm circumstances. As a motorist I have seen other motorists and cyclists do crazy things.
As a cyclist I have seen motorists and cyclists doing crazy things.

The reality is we are all human, everyone has good days, bad days, rushed / panicked days, different ability levels and we all make mistakes.

However there are some motorists and cyclists in my opinion that are prone to more of the negative interactions, and some have a complete disregard for common sense and any rules/laws in place.

Numerous times biking to work a couple of years ago at around 6 am a cyclist dressed in all black, no lights, proceeded through numerous red lights. Until I would loose the person as they would go straight through the Caroline/Erb St on a red light on the right hand side heading north (basically on the shoulder of a 3 line one way street that was in the opposite direction.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - danbrotherston - 08-06-2016

(08-06-2016, 02:47 PM)rangersfan Wrote: In general I have had good experiences as a cyclists with a few out of the norm circumstances. As a motorist I have seen other motorists and cyclists do crazy things.
As a cyclist I have seen motorists and cyclists doing crazy things.

The reality is we are all human, everyone has good days, bad days, rushed / panicked days, different ability levels and we all make mistakes.

However there are some motorists and cyclists in my opinion that are prone to more of the negative interactions, and some have a complete disregard for common sense and any rules/laws in place.

Numerous times biking to work a couple of  years ago at around 6 am a cyclist dressed in all black, no lights, proceeded through numerous red lights. Until I would loose the person as they would go straight through the Caroline/Erb St on a red light on the right hand side heading north (basically on the shoulder of a 3 line one way street that was in the opposite direction.

Oh yes, cyclists do stupid things all the time.  They're only human.

There is an important distinction though.

A driver is operating a dangerous piece of equipment, and "stupid things" result in other people's deaths.  Cyclists are just going about the world, stupid things can only result in their own deaths.  This is an important distinction.

I agree though, most of my interactions are positive, but it only takes one episode of harassment to scare away an uncertain cyclist.

I can honestly say that as a cyclist, I've had far more negative interactions with other cyclists (and pedestrians) than I have with cars. Just the other day, I was riding along Queen, near Centre in the Square. A cyclist was going the same direction as me, ahead of me, but on the sidewalk. I had to speed up quite a bit in order to properly make a (signalized) right turn. Part of me wanted to really do this at just the right speed so that I'd have forced him to either slow down or stop, to make him aware of what he was doing wrong...

I've also had problems with people failing to pay attention when I ring my bell on the Spur Line and Iron Horse trails. They either just don't know what a bell is and keep wandering all over aimlessly, texting or whatever, or just don't care. I get that they have the right of way and what not, but it's still very annoying and doesn't help to pacify the relationship between the two modes.

I don't think I followed up on it, but I recieved my Curt hitch and 1Up rack, and have been using it for a few weeks now. It's fantastic! We went to Hamilton/Burlington today, and rode along the waterfront (my husbear using the SoBi bicycle sharing system). Side story: even got recognized by a GrandLinq construction worker while there - that felt pretty good. Smile

The bike loads on and off in less than 10 seconds. It's simply wonderful. I can't recommend it enough!

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - timc - 08-06-2016

(08-06-2016, 05:02 PM)Canard Wrote: I've also had problems with people failing to pay attention when I ring my bell on the Spur Line and Iron Horse trails.  They either just don't know what a bell is and keep wandering all over aimlessly, texting or whatever, or just don't care. I get that they have the right of way and what not, but it's still very annoying and doesn't help to pacify the relationship between the two modes.

As a pedestrian, I try to thank cyclists when they ring their bell. Yeah, it scares me and makes me jump every time, but it is better than getting run over. :-)

(08-06-2016, 06:23 PM)timc Wrote: As a pedestrian, I try to thank cyclists when they ring their bell. Yeah, it scares me and makes me jump every time, but it is better than getting run over. :-)

...and, conversely, whenever I do (quietly*!) ring my bell, and I notice that the pedestrian notices me - I give a little wave or a thank you as well!  I think this kind of back-and-forth courtesy is only human (Canadian, even!), and I'd like to think it  helps to enhance the overall experience for everyone. Smile  The attitude of "the whole world is out to get me! harumph!" is hurtful, and drags us down, I believe.

* - I only loudly ring my bell on the second or third ding, if I've noticed someone is still unaware of my approach.

RE: Cycling in Waterloo Region - jgsz - 08-06-2016

I liked this secure bicycle parking area on Gaukel Street during Kitchener Blues Festival.