Waterloo Region Connected
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - ookpik - 10-14-2015

(10-14-2015, 07:36 AM)MidTowner Wrote: From Frankfurt, you can get easily to pretty well anywhere in Europe fairly easily by either air or rail, and anywhere within Germany and neighbouring countries on the Autobahn.

It would be a dream to be able to get on a flight in Waterloo, and off in Frankfurt. It wouldn't need a frequent schedule: I think people would plan trips around it.

FWIW Condor used to be owned by Lufthansa. That would have made short hop flights out of FRA (and MUC) throughout EU on Star Alliance partners very easy. Alas LH sold their interest to Thomas Cook some years ago so that dream of an integrated, code-shared itinerary is gone. 

Nevertheless both FRA and MUC, both Condor hubs, have good rail connections and make travel through much of central EU by high speed rail a good option. I'd love to see a YKF to MUC flight, even if only once or twice a week. I'd gladly rearrange my schedule to avoid YYZ.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - The85 - 12-08-2015

There was quite the commotion at the airport tonight. Driving over the Fairway Road bridge, there were at least a dozen emergency vehicles in front of the airport, and police had Fountain Street closed at Fairway/Kosuth. Does anyone know what happened? Judging by the amount of emergency vehicles, it looked serious.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - taylortbb - 12-08-2015

Flight Aware isn't showing anything out of the ordinary for the scheduled flights, so anything that happened would have to be general aviation. I'm sure if it was anything serious it'd be in the news. Past accidents have been reported very quickly.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Square - 12-08-2015

I heard it was a motor vehicle collision.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - SammyOES - 12-08-2015

Someone told me there was a fire, but no details.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Square - 12-08-2015

Was a car crash here is the link http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6164436-in-brief-police-officer-hit-by-suv-in-kitchener-drugs-stolen-from-rural-homes/

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - chutten - 12-10-2015

Today is the inaugural YKF->MCO (Orlando Int'l) flight. WestJet will be operating once-weekly seasonal service to Orlando this Winter, and were providing Mickey Mouse ears and logo-shaped rice treats to waiting travelers (many of them children).

I was wondering if they were going to use one of the Disney-themed planes (WJA has two: one Mickey, one Frozen). My source didn't say one way or another.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Canard - 12-10-2015

Too expensive unfortunately. Still like half the price to take Southwest out of BUF. I was really excited for this since I fly to Orlando once a year on average but I can't justify the price, as neat as it would be to only drive 15 mins.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 12-10-2015

(12-10-2015, 06:36 PM)Canard Wrote: Too expensive unfortunately. Still like half the price to take Southwest out of BUF. I was really excited for this since I fly to Orlando once a year on average but I can't justify the price, as neat as it would be to only drive 15 mins.

I randomly checked dates in mid-January and found Orlando flights from YKF only $5 more (return) than the lowest fare offered from Buffalo.

WestJet, YKF>MCO:

Same dates, Southwest, BUF>MCO:

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - notmyfriends - 12-10-2015

Is that $190 american, so $260ish canadian? if so $150 more, saving a lot on gas (depending on your car), parking cost, 5 hours different travel time. It's not as drastic a difference as twice as much, all things considered (depending on how you prioritize time).

For two passengers, it's quite a lot, since parking and fuel is split.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - notmyfriends - 12-10-2015

Fair enough. There are people like me, though, who value time and convenience pretty highly, and drive very non-hybrid type vehicles so the comparison is even; $70 to park, $50 on gas gets me almost back up to par, even ignoring the time and convenience impact.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - tomh009 - 12-11-2015

A better comparison is flying from YYZ, which comes in at $366, or just about $50 below YKF, which makes YKF a pretty good deal.

BUF will always be the low-cost option compared to any Canadian airport, but has the added commute time plus the risk of border crossing congestion (which tends to be much faster at the airport).

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 01-05-2016

So Hamilton is going to get a new, ultra low-cost carrier, NewLeaf Travel, in the near future.  If or when it fails perhaps the owner(s) may take a look at YKF.  The article in the Record mentions that Hamilton has only one scheduled daily year-round flight.  YKF has three scheduled daily year-round flights.  And if YKF manages to get Air Canada to fly to Ottawa daily then, to me, YKF looks like a better mini-hub  for a new airline.