Waterloo Region Connected
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 03-19-2016

(03-19-2016, 09:18 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(03-18-2016, 03:44 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Stopover turns the ~40 minute flight into 1.5h. Gatineau airport is ~30 minutes from downtown Ottawa. Depending on destination in Ottawa, this could add 1-1.5h.

True, but remember, since this flight doesn't go through the terminal, you can also ixnay the extra hour to check in and go thru CATSA., so in essence you are saving 10 min, and flying in a semi-private jet.  While I would prefer to see a direct scheduled flight, I wish them well!

Coke

Correction - a semi-private 10-seater turboprop.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 03-21-2016

(03-19-2016, 09:51 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-19-2016, 09:18 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: True, but remember, since this flight doesn't go through the terminal, you can also ixnay the extra hour to check in and go thru CATSA., so in essence you are saving 10 min, and flying in a semi-private jet.  While I would prefer to see a direct scheduled flight, I wish them well!

Coke

Correction - a semi-private 10-seater turboprop.

I stand corrected.  Nextjet and 1-855-GO-BY-JET threw me off!  LOL

Coke

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 03-21-2016

Nextjet owner Tan Ahmed says stops will only be 15 minutes and that flight via Peterborough is first step toward direct flights YKF-Gatineau and YKF-Montreal. Both of these would stop in Peterborough only if there were passengers to drop off or pick up (!).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/nextjet-flights-between-kitchener-and-montreal-to-start-may-2-1.3501108

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - MidTowner - 03-22-2016

(03-21-2016, 05:35 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Nextjet owner Tan Ahmed says stops will only be 15 minutes and that flight via Peterborough is first step toward direct flights YKF-Gatineau and YKF-Montreal. Both of these would stop in Peterborough only if there were passengers to drop off or pick up (!).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/nextjet-flights-between-kitchener-and-montreal-to-start-may-2-1.3501108

I wonder what it means exactly that stops will be “no longer than 15 minutes”? That’s the time actually on the tarmac? Even that doesn’t seem realistic somehow. I guess if there are only two passengers to board…

I guess that’s nice that your flight might be early, though if you’re booking to go to Montreal for a meeting, it looks like the earliest you can practically set that meeting would be 1:00pm. It doesn’t do much good planning your trip to be told that there’s a possibility that you’ll be early because you didn’t have to stop in Peterborough.

The more service, the better. I certainly hope that Nextjet’s flights are all oversold and some other airline sees the demand and introduces Montreal and Ottawa service. It’s hard to see how this is going to prove a success, though.

By the way, it’s less than forty percent of the price (less than $200 versus $500) to take the train round-trip from Kitchener to Montreal. It takes seven hours versus two-and-a-half, definitely won’t be early, but gets you downtown.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - BuildingScout - 03-22-2016

(03-22-2016, 08:39 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I wonder what it means exactly that stops will be “no longer than 15 minutes”? That’s the time actually on the tarmac? Even that doesn’t seem realistic somehow. I guess if there are only two passengers to board…

I've taken the milkrun flight out East (Fredericton, St. John, Charlottetown, Halifax) a couple of times and indeed stops were 15 minutes long, tops.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - SammyOES - 03-22-2016

Stops can be really fast because the airports are so small and not busy. It's not like a major airport where there's a long taxi and you need to be routed between a bunch of other traffic to a gate tucked away somewhere.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - MacBerry - 03-22-2016

(03-22-2016, 09:23 AM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(03-22-2016, 08:39 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I wonder what it means exactly that stops will be “no longer than 15 minutes”? That’s the time actually on the tarmac? Even that doesn’t seem realistic somehow. I guess if there are only two passengers to board…

I've taken the milkrun flight out East (Fredericton, St. John, Charlottetown, Halifax) a couple of times and indeed stops were 15 minutes long, tops.

Flying up north many years ago, in to small towns the boarding and de-boarding was no longer than 15 minutes and often less with only an "eight-seater" plane. Plane pulls up to terminal (aka a building,) shut down one engine,  loads freight or passengers or both, starts engine and it's takeoff.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 03-22-2016

(03-22-2016, 08:38 PM)MacBerry Wrote: Flying up north many years ago, in to small towns the boarding and de-boarding was no longer than 15 minutes and often less with only an "eight-seater" plane. Plane pulls up to terminal (aka a building,) shut down one engine,  loads freight or passengers or both, starts engine and it's takeoff.

I flew Bearskin a couple of times and there was no toilet on board.  Can I assume that a toilet break would be allowed if needed?  That could made the stop longer.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 03-22-2016

(03-22-2016, 09:17 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(03-22-2016, 08:38 PM)MacBerry Wrote: Flying up north many years ago, in to small towns the boarding and de-boarding was no longer than 15 minutes and often less with only an "eight-seater" plane. Plane pulls up to terminal (aka a building,) shut down one engine,  loads freight or passengers or both, starts engine and it's takeoff.

I flew Bearskin a couple of times and there was no toilet on board.  Can I assume that a toilet break would be allowed if needed?  That could made the stop longer.

I don't see how that could be possible.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - MacBerry - 03-25-2016

(03-22-2016, 09:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(03-22-2016, 09:17 PM)jgsz Wrote: I flew Bearskin a couple of times and there was no toilet on board.  Can I assume that a toilet break would be allowed if needed?  That could made the stop longer.

I don't see how that could be possible.

If the pilot and the one ground person had a lot of freight to add to the flight you probably could ... always remember to ask the pilot if you can. I am being serious.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - pmsilva - 03-27-2016

New Control tower is well under way.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Canard - 03-27-2016

I had no idea they were building a new one. Cool! What is the advantage of the new one over the existing one?

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - SammyOES - 03-27-2016

http://www.waterlooairport.ca/en/newslist/index.aspx?corpId=gzyzez7QxwumqjwReGz9VgeQuAleQuAl&newsId=uaoKvZ9yTSrLNbXsG0yrSAeQuAleQuAl

Quote:(Ottawa and Waterloo, June 5, 2015) – NAV CANADA is pleased to announce the construction of a new air traffic control tower at the Region of Waterloo International Airport. The new structure will replace the existing tower built over 45 years ago. Work is set to begin this month and is anticipated to be completed by the summer 2017.

“The new tower will be significantly taller than what we have today. The added height will improve controllers’ sightlines to all the airport’s runways, taxiways and aprons,” says Rudy Kellar, NAV CANADA Executive Vice President, Service Delivery. “The tower cab will be larger and provide controllers with a 360-degree view of the airfield.”

At 19.4 metres high (64 ft.), the new tower will be almost five metres (16 ft.) taller than the present structure; a 33⅓ per cent increase. The larger cab will expand the controllers’ workspace from the current 24 square metres (260 sq. ft.) to 32 sq. m (345 sq. ft.).  The four storey building will have an elevator.

"We are very pleased that NAV CANADA is modernizing their air traffic control service with a new state-of-the-art control tower," said Ken Seiling, Waterloo Regional Chair. "This new facility will be well suited for the existing traffic and will meet the future needs of our airport."

“The Region of Waterloo International Airport is an important gateway for the region and I am pleased that NAV CANADA is making this significant investment in the airport,” says the Honourable Lisa Raitt, Minister of Transport. “These types of investments in our aviation infrastructure will benefit both residents and businesses in the area.”

“The current tower was built in 1969,” notes Kellar. “At that time it was situated near the centre of the airport. Since then, runway 08/26 has been extended a further 3,300 feet to the east which put the centre well east of the tower’s location.”

The new facility will also feature much needed office space, a conference room, a fitness room, a quiet lounge, a lunch room and a training classroom. For controllers working in the cab there will be three new ergonomically designed consoles.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 03-27-2016

[Image: WIA_ATC.jpg]

[Image: NAV_CANADA_YKF_Tower_Rendering_2015-page-001_new.jpg]

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Canard - 03-27-2016

It's certainly no Mirabel control tower, that's for certain!

I like that the mentioned facilities are included in each of the floors on the way up, though.