Waterloo Region Connected
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Rainrider22 - 11-05-2016

(11-05-2016, 09:14 AM)kevinchoi519 Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 08:51 AM)jgsz Wrote: Canada Jetlines is interested in YKF.  A member of their team will be in Waterloo Region on November 15 "to determine the best routes."  I was asked to provide input on routes via email.  

In my initial email, I suggested flights to the San Francisco Bay area and/or Vancouver.  I also mentioned the loss of flights to Chicago.  If you can make a case for other flights from YKF post them here and I'll pass them on...  

Jetlines is a new company and they are looking for input on new flights.  And one email from a local resident is probably worth 1,000 letters from Regional officials or YKF.  If you're interested in better service from YKF contact Jetlines and let them know.

an eastcoast flight to boston or new york would be great even if its a smaller airport like westchester county just outside of new york that could be attractive.

For me;  Chicago again, New York,  Ottawa, Montreal,  would be priorities.  I would use for business and personal

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 11-05-2016

(11-05-2016, 09:33 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 09:14 AM)kevinchoi519 Wrote: an eastcoast flight to boston or new york would be great even if its a smaller airport like westchester county just outside of new york that could be attractive.

For me;  Chicago again, New York,  Ottawa, Montreal,  would be priorities.  I would use for business and personal

Vancouver and/or a competing flight to Calgary might be nice too.  I know the economics would be an issue, but I'd love to see an Ottawa or Montreal flight that carries on to Halifax.  I think YKF is also overdue for a few more winter charter flights.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Rainrider22 - 11-05-2016

(11-05-2016, 10:06 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-05-2016, 09:33 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: For me;  Chicago again, New York,  Ottawa, Montreal,  would be priorities.  I would use for business and personal

Vancouver and/or a competing flight to Calgary might be nice too.  I know the economics would be an issue, but I'd love to see an Ottawa or Montreal flight that carries on to Halifax.  I think YKF is also overdue for a few more winter charter flights.
I agree with a few more winnter charters too. I don't know anyone who has flown out of ROW Airport for a winter get away that hasn't agreed it was way better then having to drive to toronto

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - danbrotherston - 11-05-2016

If it were possible, both business wise, and in terms of airport capability, a flight to Europe would be awesome. Only one destination is needed, connections there are plentiful. But this is probably getting ahead of things, West Coast, and East Coast would be a great start for business travelers.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jeremyroman - 11-05-2016

Being in the tech industry, a direct flight to the SF Bay Area (SFO, SJC or perhaps OAK) would be great. Once you add a connection (like the AA flight to ORD), it ends up being a wash compared to flying direct out of YYZ.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Canard - 11-05-2016

-MCO
-DFW (or more likely Love)
-SFO
-YVR
-LAX

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - YKF - 11-05-2016

Considering Jetlines won't have the connection heft that AC or WS have, our wish list should realistically be based on routes with O-D traffic.

Given that Jetlines will be operating 737 series aircraft, I'd lobby for at least 5x/weekly flights to YVR and YHZ. As much as I'd like to see SFO, ORD and YUL, I either don't see a market for those flights out of YKF or Jetlines won't be the airline to start those routes (given connecting opyions, fleet, etc).

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - BuildingScout - 11-05-2016

(11-05-2016, 05:47 PM)YKF Wrote: Considering Jetlines won't have the connection heft that AC or WS have, our wish list should realistically be based on routes with O-D traffic.

Given that Jetlines will be operating 737 series aircraft, I'd lobby for at least 5x/weekly flights to YVR and YHZ. As much as I'd like to see SFO, ORD and YUL, I either don't see a market for those flights out of YKF or Jetlines won't be the airline to start those routes (given connecting opyions, fleet, etc).

I agree, however I think it helps them more for us to suggest routes where there would be demand, and let them work out the business case for their fleet. They might be able to make it work with some other information that we are not privy to.

Personally I think demand to Ottawa and Montreal is historically on the wane, and only a small plane would work.

Similarly I've proposed SFO here, and I think it would only work for a modest size plane, around 50 seats, but who knows, maybe they can connect that with a YUL/YOW/YHZ flight and justify the 737.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - tomh009 - 11-05-2016

(11-05-2016, 11:44 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: If it were possible, both business wise, and in terms of airport capability, a flight to Europe would be awesome.  Only one destination is needed, connections there are plentiful.  But this is probably getting ahead of things, West Coast, and East Coast would be a great start for business travelers.

Connections are plentiful ... but if you can't buy a single ticket with a connection or interline your luggage, it's much less attractive.  So until Canada Jetlines has some arrangements with other airlines, I expect they'll focus on routes that are destinations rather than connections.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - tomh009 - 11-05-2016

(11-05-2016, 01:17 PM)jeremyroman Wrote: Being in the tech industry, a direct flight to the SF Bay Area (SFO, SJC or perhaps OAK) would be great. Once you add a connection (like the AA flight to ORD), it ends up being a wash compared to flying direct out of YYZ.

I agree that the bay area would be a great option.  There should be enough traffic to justify that.  SJC would probably be a better option if landing slots are available there.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - MidTowner - 11-07-2016

I think Ottawa and Montreal should be near the top of the list. Ottawa and this Region both have strong tech sectors with several companies having operations in both. I can't remember Bearskin's rationale when they stopped service, but it did operate for a number of years.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - SammyOES2 - 11-07-2016

I think Bearskin said it was too expensive to operate on the Ottawa side.

I'd love NYC. But that's mostly just because of selfish reasons. I suspect the cost of a gate in any of the local NYC airports makes it extremely unattractive for a low budget airline.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - BuildingScout - 11-07-2016

(11-07-2016, 08:50 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I think Ottawa and Montreal should be near the top of the list. Ottawa and this Region both have strong tech sectors with several companies having operations in both. I can't remember Bearskin's rationale when they stopped service, but it did operate for a number of years.

The Bearskin flight was only a five seater. I work in the tech industry and the number of contacts with Ottawa continues to go down. Back in the days of BNR we could have had a decent size plane going back and forth every day. Even during the Nortel years. Today, not so much. Moreover, the place to do a startup used to be Kanata. Now it is Toronto, Waterloo or Vancouver.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - MidTowner - 11-07-2016

My organization (not in the tech sector) has a presence in Ottawa. Most of the very frequent travelers opted to fly out of Pearson rather than on "Scareskin," either because they didn't care for the plane, were pursuing status with Air Canada, or lived in the western GTA (or a combination). I'm not sure if they would be willing to take a 737 operated by a low-cost carrier. Likely some would. Some really want those points.

Ottawa and Montreal both seem like they would attract a fair amount of passengers for tourism, for visiting family and friends, compared to U.S. destinations.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Markster - 11-07-2016

The one time I took the Bearskin flight, it was a 24 seat plane.
One aisle, 12 rows, 1 seat on each side