Waterloo Region Connected
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - YKF - 05-06-2015

Sunwing Vacations adds a new direct flight from Kitchener-Waterloo to Cayo Santa Maria

April 22, 2015

Toronto, ON – One of Cuba’s most beguiling island destinations will be a little closer to residents of Kitchener and Waterloo this winter with the launch of a new weekly flight service to Cayo Santa Maria. Located off the northern coast of Cuba and situated in the Jardines del Rey archipelago, Cayo Santa Maria boasts immaculate white sandy beaches and stunning turquoise waters that are ideal for snorkelling, scuba diving, and catamaran excursions. Beginning Thursday December 24, 2015, the new route will be the only direct connection from Kitchener-Waterloo over the winter season 2015/16.

On their way to this popular Cuban destination, passengers will be able to start off their vacation in style with a welcome glass of sparkling wine, complimentary Hot & Fresh Bistro Meals™ served with wine, and in-flight entertainment as part of the airline’s award-winning Champagne Service. And unlike many other airlines, Sunwing also includes free checked baggage with a generous 20kg allowance.

Andrew Dawson, Chief Operating Officer Sunwing Travel Group commented, “We have been working with Kitchener-Waterloo Airport since 2009 and are delighted to be returning for another season this year. Cayo Santa Maria combines some of Cuba’s best beaches with an array of excellent accommodation choices including Royalton Cayo Santa Maria – our exclusive resort that was recently voted the Number 1 All Inclusive Resort in the World by TripAdvisor. We’re certain that the new route will prove a popular choice amongst vacationers this coming winter.”

“We are thrilled to welcome Sunwing back to Waterloo Region for their seventh season” said Chris Wood, General Manager at the Region of Waterloo International Airport.  “Cuba is a destination we know will be popular, and the addition of Sunwing’s direct weekly departure to Cayo Santa Maria will provide a great option for guests looking for a winter escape.”

Cayo Santa Maria boasts a wide range of accommodation options to suit all tastes and budgets. Couples and newlyweds alike may opt for the award-winning all inclusive Royalton Cayo Santa Maria, delivers gracious hospitality, thoughtful service and first rate amenities. Part of Sunwing’s Adults Collection™, this sophisticated, luxurious oasis was recently voted the number one ‘All Inclusive Resort in the World’ at the TripAdvisor Travellers’ Choice Awards.

Also offered exclusively by the tour operator, Starfish Cayo Santa Maria is the ideal choice for couples and families alike looking to enjoy a laid back getaway in a beachfront location where they can enjoy friendly service, spacious rooms, restaurants serving international culinary classics and one-of-a-kind entertainment. Part of Sunwing’s exclusive Family Collection™, Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort provides family-friendly amenities, including supervised kids clubs and a full program of daily activities and nightly entertainment to keep everyone entertained.

A week’s stay at Starfish Cayo Santa Maria starts from $775 plus +$350 taxes based on two people sharing a Junior Suiteon an all inclusive basis and departing from Kitchener -Waterloo on January 07, 2016.

For more information on vacations to Cayo Santa Maria, visit www.sunwing.ca or contact your local travel agent.

I guess that spells the end of Cancun as a destination from YKF.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - YKF - 05-06-2015

I got an email from Bearskin Airlines today containing a link to a survey titled "Re-introduction of Bearskin Airlines Air Service to Ottawa." They're looking into introducing flights from YKF to Gatineau-Ottawa Executive Airport in Gatineau Quebec.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Viewfromthe42 - 05-07-2015

Well that just ruins my ability to hop on a bus to my parents' home from the airport. But if I can get a lift across the river, it's not such a bad journey.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 05-07-2015

(05-06-2015, 10:40 PM)YKF Wrote: I got an email from Bearskin Airlines today containing a link to a survey titled "Re-introduction of Bearskin Airlines Air Service to Ottawa." They're looking into introducing flights from YKF to Gatineau-Ottawa Executive Airport in Gatineau Quebec.

Your first sentence perked me up as I would be an occasional user.  The Gatineau airport is not a very attractive option, but better than nothing I guess.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Markster - 05-07-2015

My first reaction to Gatineau airport: Yuck

It's safe to say I would never use the service if they land there. My destination is Nepean, so that's a hell of a lot of backtracking.
It's a location that won't be half-bad once the new east end bridge is built, but being constrained by using the downtown bridges is pretty harsh, if your destination is anything other than downtown.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 05-07-2015

I would take Bearskin if they had a connecting flight to Montréal.  If not, I'll continue to take the train or drive to Montréal.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Viewfromthe42 - 05-07-2015

Don't forget, there's a ferry just east of it, which is an option if you are in eastern places in Ottawa.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - YKF - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 08:26 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-06-2015, 10:40 PM)YKF Wrote: I got an email from Bearskin Airlines today containing a link to a survey titled "Re-introduction of Bearskin Airlines Air Service to Ottawa." They're looking into introducing flights from YKF to Gatineau-Ottawa Executive Airport in Gatineau Quebec.

Your first sentence perked me up as I would be an occasional user.  The Gatineau airport is not a very attractive option, but better than nothing I guess.
Seeing the title of the survey perked me up as well, until I started going through it and realized that they weren't planning on using YOW.
I agree with you that this service is better than no service, as it'll bring in business to YKF and provide another destination for local passengers.
The survey asked whether using Gatineau-Ottawa Executive Airport instead of Ottawa International Airport would make me less likely to use the service. I indicated that it wouldn't make a difference, but mentioned that YOW has the potential to act as a connecting airport, with aeroplan miles to be collected on a connecting Air Canada flight. None of that would be possible if they fly into Gatineau. Not to mention the transportation options at YOW vs. Gatineau. 

I seem to recall reading that YOW was a big reason why the YKF-YOW service was terminated (high airport fees?). Does anyone else remember this?

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 01:32 PM)YKF Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 08:26 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Your first sentence perked me up as I would be an occasional user.  The Gatineau airport is not a very attractive option, but better than nothing I guess.
Seeing the title of the survey perked me up as well, until I started going through it and realized that they weren't planning on using YOW.
I agree with you that this service is better than no service, as it'll bring in business to YKF and provide another destination for local passengers.
The survey asked whether using Gatineau-Ottawa Executive Airport instead of Ottawa International Airport would make me less likely to use the service. I indicated that it wouldn't make a difference, but mentioned that YOW has the potential to act as a connecting airport, with aeroplan miles to be collected on a connecting Air Canada flight. None of that would be possible if they fly into Gatineau. Not to mention the transportation options at YOW vs. Gatineau. 

I seem to recall reading that YOW was a big reason why the YKF-YOW service was terminated (high airport fees?). Does anyone else remember this?

Yes, the fees at YOW were cited at the time as the reason for the discontinued service.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 05-07-2015

(05-07-2015, 01:32 PM)YKF Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 08:26 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Your first sentence perked me up as I would be an occasional user.  The Gatineau airport is not a very attractive option, but better than nothing I guess.

YOW charged all airlines an equal amount for de-icing services, and didn't pro-rate the costs by airline (Perhaps a sweet deal for AC).  That's the story I heard from a reliable source. Wink   I go to Ottawa about 3 times a year w/ work, so I'd love to fly from YKF instead of going AC thru London.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Markster - 05-09-2015

There's quite the spread in the Record today about the mining flights from YKF:

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jamincan - 05-09-2015

Here's a link to the online version:

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5610269-waterloo-region-reaps-dividends-by-being-conduit-to-baffin-island/

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jamincan - 05-09-2015

I'm surprised they decided to fly out of YKF. I understand why they didn't choose Pearson, but it is more perplexing that they didn't choose a place like North Bay or Sudbury or some other community centred on a large workforce with mining experience.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - DHLawrence - 05-09-2015

There is some logic to it. People want access to Toronto during their off hours but would probably be overwhelmed by the transition to a massive city from sub-zero isolation over and over. Flying out of a smaller community (compared to Toronto) might offer a bit of an emotional buffer. I'm more surprised they didn't fly out of Hamilton, which already has a history of cargo aviation - or even Windsor for that matter. Loads of underemployed or unemployed tradespeople there.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jamincan - 05-10-2015

I have done a lot of work up at the Raglan Mine in Northern Quebec which has a similar fly-in and fly-out operation. Lots of people live in Montreal with no problem at all. The benefit of Rouyn Noranda, which is the main base they fly out of, is the large work force with mining experience who live there. They still fly onward from there to Montreal, Toronto and Quebec a few days a week, but 90% of the workforce have lived in Rouyn their entire lives and continue to do so. They also benefit from the large number of mining service companies located in the Rouyn area. Cost savings then come from not having to transport as many people and cargo from other areas.

Incidentally, the only reason Glencore flies their planes to Pearson is that the flight crew is based there and that is where the maintenance is done. When I have to go to Raglan, it is convenient for me, but the flight out of Toronto is perennially empty; I've been the only one on it on a few occasions.

In any case, it's a good catch for YKF.