Waterloo Region Connected
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - MidTowner - 11-06-2017

They should be able to fill at least a few planeloads with locals interested in the novelty of the flight, so you're right that it would be a disappointment if the first flight weren't sold out. As of Monday morning, the second day's flights are not.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 11-06-2017

And a bonus water cannon to boot!

Tomorrow morning only has 1 seat sold so far.

Coke

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - NotStan - 11-06-2017

Heard on the radio that there were 2 reporters on board (one from 570 news, the other from the record) as well as someone from the Ports Authority (I assume they own  or operate Billy Bishop Airport).  The radio reporter did indicate there was one business person passenger but I don't know if that means the other 5 seats were filled with politicians/bureaucrats/media types or not.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - SammyOES - 11-06-2017

I'd be curious what their business model is and how much capacity they're actually expecting and need to fill. Maybe they aren't really aiming to sell out every flight because a large portion of their target demographic will need relatively last minute seats?

Although it doesn't sound great so far...

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - tomh009 - 11-06-2017

(11-06-2017, 10:53 AM)SammyOES Wrote: Although it doesn't sound great so far...

Almost any new business will start off slow and then grow the volume of business.  A new airline on a new route would be the same.  As long as they have planned for it, this should not be a problem.

The real question is the long-term demand, and we won't know that for some time yet.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 11-06-2017

I should think that a good bit of the early traffic would be from "one offs", looking to give themselves a small adventure/treat.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - SammyOES - 11-06-2017

Tom, sure, definitely not a reason to panic. But its also not a great start.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Canard - 11-06-2017

When 1 passenger represents 12.5% of the capacity of the plane, of course it’s going to look bad.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 11-06-2017

IIRC, FlyGTA started out with 2 flights a day to Niagara.  Today, it's four flights a day and they do 1 trip on Saturday and Sunday.  I'm sure Waterloo Region can generate more than two flights a day.  But it will take a bit of time.  

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 11-06-2017

Hope the reporters weren't planning on coming back today....

Coke

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Viewfromthe42 - 11-06-2017

I'm curious if those cancellations are due to non-selling of flights.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Canard - 11-06-2017

Uh oh!

They sounded pretty positive about the flight on 570 News just now. We’ll see what CTV says tonight I guess!

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 11-09-2017

Yesterday morning (Wednesday) we decided to go to Toronto by taking FlyGTA from YKF.  

The airport was very empty when we arrived and I was curious to see if anyone is using FlyGTA.  When the plane arrived from Toronto only one passenger was on board.  On the flight to Toronto there were five passengers.  I was expecting to see 'executive types' travelling and one of the passengers may have been travelling on business.      My hubby and I were going to Toronto to see Bat Out of Hell and, amazingly, two other passengers were going to Toronto to see the same play.  On the way back from Toronto only the four theatre people were on board.  

The flight to and from Toronto was very smooth but it was a clear day and there was almost no wind.  FlyGTA could use some more signage at Billy Bishop Airport.  It was a lovely day so we didn't mind walking to the main terminal to take the tunnel.  Plus we managed to take some pics of the Toronto skyline.  

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 11-09-2017

Glad you enjoyed my airport! Smile

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - kitborn - 11-09-2017

We flew FlyGTA from YKF yesterday. The best part is watching the skyline as we land at Billy Bishop.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RG19S6Dq9vnxNXyh1