Waterloo Region Connected
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jgsz - 10-05-2020

(10-05-2020, 08:32 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 10:23 PM)jeffster Wrote: I didn't read the article due to paywall, and at time The Record does report responsible journalism, but it also seems that more often than not, it will put a negative spin on things.
That was more to my point.  I think they have some good reporters however, I get tired of the negative spin...

What was the negative spin on the Pivot Airlines story?

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 10-05-2020

(10-05-2020, 09:07 AM)jgsz Wrote: What was the negative spin on the Pivot Airlines story?

Basically the connection with the now bankrupt Air Georgian that still owes $41 million to creditors.

The Record Article Wrote:...leaving WestJet’s service to Calgary and Sunwing’s seasonal flights to Mexico and the Dominican Republic as the current scheduled choices available to travellers.

Surprised to read Sunwing listed as a "current scheduled" choice. The border is closed at all international airports with the exception of 4 (Montreal, Pearson, Vancouver and Calgary or Edmonton)… not sure where Sunwing plans to go, but unless the rules change, it won't be Mexico or DR.

Coke

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - tomh009 - 10-05-2020

Scheduled for ... next year?

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 10-06-2020

Sunwing was last week of December to March / Early April.

I highly doubt the border will be open then... however, I just looked at the Sunwing site, and they are selling seats from Kitchener... so who knows.....

Coke

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 10-06-2020

Easier to sell tickets and cancel the flight, no?

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - jeffster - 01-29-2021

YKF was Canada's busiest airport in November:

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-news/regions-airport-was-the-nations-busiest-in-november-3306060

This of course is air traffic, not passengers. Regardless, that's a lot of movements, and for the flight controllers, a lot of work.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - robdrimmie - 01-31-2021

The Record article (paywalled) elaborates a bit. The traffic isn't unusual for YKF, the difference is that it was so low everywhere else.

Quote:“This isn’t unusual for us. We’re usually that busy,” said airport general manager Chris Wood.

What is different is that airports that usually grab the top spots are much less busy as most commercial air travel has ground to a halt with COVID-19.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2021/01/29/breslau-airport-busiest-in-canada-in-november.html

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - plam - 01-31-2021

Meanwhile, the Record's site points me to an article from 2020 saying Pivot Airlines is going to give service from YKF to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Windsor a go.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2020/09/15/new-passenger-airline-coming-to-breslau-airport.html?rf

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - tomh009 - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 12:07 PM)plam Wrote: Meanwhile, the Record's site points me to an article from 2020 saying Pivot Airlines is going to give service from YKF to Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal and Windsor a go.

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2020/09/15/new-passenger-airline-coming-to-breslau-airport.html?rf

I think this has been in the works since 2019. A definitive agreement is good, but I presume service won't start until the COVID restrictions are eased. Getting to Ottawa should be pretty good, but I wonder how long the flight to Montreal will take given the stops in Toronto and Ottawa on the way.

Still, this has a better chance of being viable than direct service.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - ac3r - 01-31-2021

It seems like there are always airlines saying they're going to start up operations here, but then quickly shut that down when they realize very few people want to fly out of Waterloo Region. WestJet is the only passenger airline that has managed to stick around (edit...FlyGTA and Bearskin may still use the airport? But they only fly tiny charter flights with propeller planes, no jets).

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - tomh009 - 01-31-2021

(01-31-2021, 12:53 PM)ac3r Wrote: It seems like there are always airlines saying they're going to start up operations here, but then quickly shut that down when they realize very few people want to fly out of Waterloo Region. WestJet is the only passenger airline that has managed to stick around (edit...FlyGTA and Bearskin may still use the airport? But they only fly tiny charter flights with propeller planes, no jets).

I expect this will be Dash-8 Q400 service given the short distances. The milk run model should give them a better chance of success.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - panamaniac - 02-01-2021

(01-31-2021, 08:28 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 12:53 PM)ac3r Wrote: It seems like there are always airlines saying they're going to start up operations here, but then quickly shut that down when they realize very few people want to fly out of Waterloo Region. WestJet is the only passenger airline that has managed to stick around (edit...FlyGTA and Bearskin may still use the airport? But they only fly tiny charter flights with propeller planes, no jets).

I expect this will be Dash-8 Q400 service given the short distances. The milk run model should give them a better chance of success.
Somebody would have to explain to me how having to pay airport fees at Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal could make for a financially viable route, when Bearskin cancelled it's Kitchener-Ottawa route because the Ottawa airport fees were too high.  I don't get it ...

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - taylortbb - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 10:27 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 08:28 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I expect this will be Dash-8 Q400 service given the short distances. The milk run model should give them a better chance of success.
Somebody would have to explain to me how having to pay airport fees at Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal could make for a financially viable route, when Bearskin cancelled it's Kitchener-Ottawa route because the Ottawa airport fees were too high.  I don't get it ...

Bearskin operates tiny 19 seat planes, while the Q400 seats 70-78 passengers. Lots of the airport fees are per-plane, so if you can fill the larger plane (through the milk-run model) the airport fees are a lot more affordable.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - danbrotherston - 02-01-2021

(02-01-2021, 11:21 AM)taylortbb Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 10:27 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Somebody would have to explain to me how having to pay airport fees at Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal could make for a financially viable route, when Bearskin cancelled it's Kitchener-Ottawa route because the Ottawa airport fees were too high.  I don't get it ...

Bearskin operates tiny 19 seat planes, while the Q400 seats 70-78 passengers. Lots of the airport fees are per-plane, so if you can fill the larger plane (through the milk-run model) the airport fees are a lot more affordable.

I suspect the point about the milk-run was basically that it doesn't matter how full your plane is at each airport, since you pay per plane, all that matters is how many passengers are embarking or disembarking at that airport.  Milk run doesn't buy you any savings on airport fees, only airplane fees per flight destination.

Ultimately, the economics are not such a well defined system, every airline has slightly different economics and each flight model has slightly different costs/benefits.

I just wish we had better trains.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - bgb_ca - 02-01-2021

I would take YKF over Pearson if they had a flight out east to Halifax instead of Calgary (of course, post pandemic). The most frequent route pre-pandemic for me was YYZ-YYT and if I had to change planes at YHZ to avoid YYZ I would do so in a heartbeat.