Waterloo Region Connected
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Works (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Forum: Transportation and Infrastructure (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF (/showthread.php?tid=19)

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - tomh009 - 02-13-2021

(02-13-2021, 02:13 AM)plam Wrote: Pearson is probably one of the slowest airports for luggage delivery by the way. I talked to a guy who was involved in system design. He said it was terrible. Almost any airport anywhere else is faster. 30 minute waits at Pearson aren't unusual, 10 minute waits at Wellington are. Both Wellington and Zurich have predicted luggage arrival times.

System design aside, the challenge everyone has to deal with is that first step: getting a crew to the plane to unload the luggage, and then drive it over and feed it into the system (manual unloading if you're on a 737 or 757 that can't do cargo containers). And YYZ used to be absolutely terrible at this.

But it has improved somewhat, at least; I remember waiting 20-30 minutes for the first suitcases to show up. The days (well, pre-COVID), most of the time (at T1, for an AC flight) they'll start arriving within 10 minutes of me getting to the luggage hall. Then it's a question of whether your luggage has priority tags on it or not ...

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Coke6pk - 02-15-2021

Last weekend I came thru T1. I was in business class, so I was one of the first off the plane. Walked to the Customs hall, where I by-passed the lines and went directly to an officer, and was in the baggage hall a few min later. My bag was on the belt. (Granted - It was priority tagged). I have had minimal complaints at YYZ with the speed of baggage in the last few years.

YKF is all manual. Luggage is off-loaded into bins, and once all are offloaded, they drive to the baggage belt and hand balm them on. Since YKF is so small, the majority of passengers have cleared customs before the baggage arrives, which makes it appear that people are waiting 10 min for the bags. However, its still way faster than Pearson.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - taylortbb - 04-16-2021

https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2021/04/16/waterloo-region-approves-44m-in-improvements-doubling-of-airport-staff.html
https://outline.com/YTfjNg

Quote:WATERLOO REGION — Regional councillors approved plans to spend $44 million and double the staff at the Region of Waterloo International Airport over the next two years, even though the pandemic has severely limited travel and the airport has no guarantees of promised increases in passengers.

[...]

The money would pay for the expansion of the terminal with a permanent addition and two modular “relocatable” additions, a new baggage-handling system, as well as adding parking.

[...]

The airport master plan, approved in 2017, calls for airport improvements in two phases, when passenger levels hit 250,000 a year and then 500,000 a year. But the recent plans from the two new airlines means the airport is “leapfrogging” over those targets.

Staff project that the new flights will boost the number of passengers at the airport from an estimated 99,000 to 220,000 by the end of this year; 750,000 passengers by the end of 2022 and 1 million or more by 2023.

If we actually see 1M passengers/year I think the investments will be well worth it, but I think staff may be slightly underselling the risks of the airline business. That said, if we don't try then YKF will probably forever remain a tiny airport.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - danbrotherston - 04-16-2021

(04-16-2021, 03:31 PM)taylortbb Wrote: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2021/04/16/waterloo-region-approves-44m-in-improvements-doubling-of-airport-staff.html

Quote:WATERLOO REGION — Regional councillors approved plans to spend $44 million and double the staff at the Region of Waterloo International Airport over the next two years, even though the pandemic has severely limited travel and the airport has no guarantees of promised increases in passengers.

[...]

The money would pay for the expansion of the terminal with a permanent addition and two modular “relocatable” additions, a new baggage-handling system, as well as adding parking.

[...]

The airport master plan, approved in 2017, calls for airport improvements in two phases, when passenger levels hit 250,000 a year and then 500,000 a year. But the recent plans from the two new airlines means the airport is “leapfrogging” over those targets.

Staff project that the new flights will boost the number of passengers at the airport from an estimated 99,000 to 220,000 by the end of this year; 750,000 passengers by the end of 2022 and 1 million or more by 2023.

If we actually see 1M passengers/year I think the investments will be well worth it, but I think staff may be slightly underselling the risks of the airline business. That said, if we don't try then YKF will probably forever remain a tiny airport. For comparison, 1M passengers/year is very slightly more than what the Halifax airport sees.

I'd say it's more than slightly...we're in the middle of a global pandemic that has cut air travel to nothing.

It's insane that we are making such a huge investment right now.

Given that we apparently can't afford to provide childcare, I think this is a gross missuse of money.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - taylortbb - 04-16-2021

(04-16-2021, 03:48 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'd say it's more than slightly...we're in the middle of a global pandemic that has cut air travel to nothing.

Given that we apparently can't afford to provide childcare, I think this is a gross missuse of money.

I don't think it's insane. Ticket sales are making it very clear that there's a huge pent-up demand for air travel. If we suddenly spike to above-2019 levels (which I consider very likely in 2022) there's not going to be capacity at Pearson. This spike in demand is a rare opportunity for new airlines to get off the ground, if we want to ever get YKF to being a large enough self-sustaining airport this is the time to do it.

Every business that 2020 was a bad time for, will likely see a record-setting 2022 as demand swings back the other way.

There's plenty of valid complaints about the childcare decision, but the regional budget isn't zero-sum (taxes can be increased).

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - danbrotherston - 04-16-2021

(04-16-2021, 04:04 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 03:48 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'd say it's more than slightly...we're in the middle of a global pandemic that has cut air travel to nothing.

I don't think it's insane. Ticket sales are making it very clear that there's a huge pent-up demand for air travel. If we suddenly spike to above-2019 levels (which I consider very likely in 2022) there's not going to be capacity at Pearson. This spike in demand is a rare opportunity for new airlines to get off the ground, if we want to ever get YKF to being a large enough self-sustaining airport this is the time to do it.

Every business that 2020 was a bad time for, will likely see a record-setting 2022 as demand swings back the other way.

There's plenty of valid complaints about the childcare decision, but the regional budget isn't zero-sum (taxes can be increased).

"taxes can be increased"...apparently only for the police budget.

But I digress, that's not a bad argument, but it's still a heavy speculation, and not something I think our government should be doing. What ISN'T speculation is that we need more childcare in the region, not maybe in 2024...I mean, TODAY...YESTERDAY even, but we aren't investing in it, in fact, we are cutting it.

Whether you think the airport is a good investment or not, I think it shows our priorities are very poor from our government. If we hadn't just cut our childcare budget to fund our police force, this might not bug me quite as much--although I think I'd still disagree as I do think it's still a high risk investment--but I wouldn't be angry about it.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - Bytor - 04-17-2021

(04-16-2021, 03:31 PM)taylortbb Wrote: https://www.therecord.com/news/waterloo-region/2021/04/16/waterloo-region-approves-44m-in-improvements-doubling-of-airport-staff.html

[...]

[...]

If we actually see 1M passengers/year I think the investments will be well worth it, but I think staff may be slightly underselling the risks of the airline business. That said, if we don't try then YKF will probably forever remain a tiny airport.

"If we actually see…"

That's the problem, though, since even before the pandemic we were seeing declining passengers through the airport. And since that's the case WTF are they doing ignoring the targets set out in 2017 and betting the bank on this right after cutting millions from the childcare budget? It make sno sense based on the previous numbers, and is tone deaf after all they cut last year.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - taylortbb - 04-17-2021

(04-17-2021, 03:47 PM)Bytor Wrote: "If we actually see…"

That's the problem, though, since even before the pandemic we were seeing declining passengers through the airport. And since that's the case WTF are they doing ignoring the targets set out in 2017

What changed is Flair started selling tickets. Just did a search on Kayak for Toronto -> Halifax June 7-14 (YKF is under the YTO Toronto code), and it's $86 return if you fly from YKF, but $407 return to fly from YYZ. Unsurprisingly, a lot of people from Toronto are willing to drive out to YKF for the much cheaper Flair pricing.

Flair says they've already sold lots of tickets out of YKF, it's their best-selling airport, and they want to add more flights. But now YKF doesn't have the passenger capacity for the flights Flair wants to add.

Flair doesn't start flying from YKF til May 1, so right now the passenger volumes aren't there at YKF. But it's pretty easy to look at tickets sold and project that they'll turn into passengers.

I do think Flair might delay flights starting til July 1, when we'll see far more people vaccinated. However, I also think it's silly to not look at sold tickets and make some forecasts about passenger volume. There's definitely risk that Flair goes out of business from AC or WJ competing sufficiently aggressively with them, but it's not like the region decided to expand the airport speculatively.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - danbrotherston - 04-17-2021

(04-17-2021, 04:13 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(04-17-2021, 03:47 PM)Bytor Wrote: "If we actually see…"

That's the problem, though, since even before the pandemic we were seeing declining passengers through the airport. And since that's the case WTF are they doing ignoring the targets set out in 2017

What changed is Flair started selling tickets. Just did a search on Kayak for Toronto -> Halifax June 7-14 (YKF is under the YTO Toronto code), and it's $86 return if you fly from YKF, but $407 return to fly from YYZ. Unsurprisingly, a lot of people from Toronto are willing to drive out to YKF for the much cheaper Flair pricing.

Flair says they've already sold lots of tickets out of YKF, it's their best-selling airport, and they want to add more flights. But now YKF doesn't have the passenger capacity for the flights Flair wants to add.

Flair doesn't start flying from YKF til May 1, so right now the passenger volumes aren't there at YKF. But it's pretty easy to look at tickets sold and project that they'll turn into passengers.

I do think Flair might delay flights starting til July 1, when we'll see far more people vaccinated. However, I also think it's silly to not look at sold tickets and make some forecasts about passenger volume. There's definitely risk that Flair goes out of business from AC or WJ competing sufficiently aggressively with them, but it's not like the region decided to expand the airport speculatively.

And so we're betting 44MM of our taxpayer dollars (or, 25MM if you want to be generous) on the success of a small startup airline.

I certainly wouldn't invest my money on that...it's a foolish thing to do.  Airlines usually fail...I have no idea how they are pricing tickets that much cheaper than from Toronto, but I'm going to bet that isn't a sustainable business.

(04-17-2021, 04:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: And so we're betting 44MM of our taxpayer dollars (or, 25MM if you want to be generous) on the success of a small startup airline.

I certainly wouldn't invest my money on that...it's a foolish thing to do.  Airlines usually fail...

Flair has been around for 16 years, mostly operating charter and cargo flights. They're not AC or WJ, but they're probably the most serious attempt at a ULCC in Canada ever. You're right there's some risk involved, but if the region isn't interested in the risk of getting a new passenger airport off the ground it should really cut its losses and end passenger service at YKF.

I think it's also fair to point out that much of the work isn't Flair-specific. The expanded runway will make it significantly easier to attract any airline.

(04-17-2021, 04:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I have no idea how they are pricing tickets that much cheaper than from Toronto, but I'm going to bet that isn't a sustainable business.

It's the ULCC business model, best known from airlines like Ryanair and EasyJet. Single class in a high density config, single aircraft model, nothing included (not even a carry-on), operate out of smaller cheaper airports. It's new to Canada, but it's hardly a new business model. The only reason we don't have ULCCs already in Canada is foreign investment restrictions, and anti-competitive behaviour by AC and WJ (e.g. Swoop).

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - danbrotherston - 04-17-2021

(04-17-2021, 05:55 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(04-17-2021, 04:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: And so we're betting 44MM of our taxpayer dollars (or, 25MM if you want to be generous) on the success of a small startup airline.

I certainly wouldn't invest my money on that...it's a foolish thing to do.  Airlines usually fail...

Flair has been around for 16 years, mostly operating charter and cargo flights. They're not AC or WJ, but they're probably the most serious attempt at a ULCC in Canada ever. You're right there's some risk involved, but if the region isn't interested in the risk of getting a new passenger airport off the ground it should really cut its losses and end passenger service at YKF.

I think it's also fair to point out that much of the work isn't Flair-specific. The expanded runway will make it significantly easier to attract any airline.

This is a false dichotomy. Regardless of what I think, it's totally false to claim the choices are spending 44MM or closing the airport, they literally are doing 44MM in place of a plan to spend 19MM over a slightly longer timeline.

As for Flair, sure, they existed before, this is the first launch of scheduled passenger service. This isn't unusual for launches like this to happen. It's extremely rare for them to succeed.

Heck, our airport has constantly seen service added, then cut back because it isn't profitable.

(04-17-2021, 05:55 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(04-17-2021, 04:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I have no idea how they are pricing tickets that much cheaper than from Toronto, but I'm going to bet that isn't a sustainable business.

It's the ULCC business model, best known from airlines like Ryanair and EasyJet. Single class in a high density config, single aircraft model, nothing included (not even a carry-on), operate out of smaller cheaper airports. It's new to Canada, but it's hardly a new business model. The only reason we don't have ULCCs already in Canada is foreign investment restrictions, and anti-competitive behaviour by AC and WJ (e.g. Swoop).

I am well aware of the ULCC model. But that model does not cut costs 80% over traditional air travel models. I mean, fuel and crew costs
alone exceed 20% and those aren't reduced in the ULCC model. So they are not going to be able to sustain an 80% cost advantage over AC flights.

And for every Ryanair there a a whole bunch of other ULCC which no longer exist. And that's leaving aside the different regulatory scenarios in the different countries.

(04-17-2021, 07:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(04-17-2021, 05:55 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Flair has been around for 16 years, mostly operating charter and cargo flights. They're not AC or WJ, but they're probably the most serious attempt at a ULCC in Canada ever. You're right there's some risk involved, but if the region isn't interested in the risk of getting a new passenger airport off the ground it should really cut its losses and end passenger service at YKF.

This is a false dichotomy. Regardless of what I think, it's totally false to claim the choices are spending 44MM or closing the airport, they literally are doing 44MM in place of a plan to spend 19MM over a slightly longer timeline.

As for Flair, sure, they existed before, this is the first launch of scheduled passenger service. This isn't unusual for launches like this to happen. It's extremely rare for them to succeed.

Heck, our airport has constantly seen service added, then cut back because it isn't profitable.

I'm not saying they're the only options, I'm saying they're the options I'd support. I think the worst case scenario is steady state. We keep spending money on the airport, never enough to make it successful, but never recognizing we've failed. The airport slowly but constantly bleeds millions a year from the regional budget, while also not delivering value to local residents. We get a flight, a couple years later we lose a flight, the small but constant subsidy continues. The airport should either get large enough it's self-sustaining (like most large Canadian airports are), or we stop funding it. Millions per year for one flight to Calgary is the worst outcome.

Previous services aren't a good guide here, as they've all been services by regular mainline carriers. There isn't enough local demand to support a large airport, the only way YKF can be a large airport is by drawing passengers from the GTA. A ULCC is probably the only way we're going to draw passengers from the GTA, as service by a major carrier won't be any cheaper than YYZ.

(04-17-2021, 07:32 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I am well aware of the ULCC model. But that model does not cut costs 80% over traditional air travel models. I mean, fuel and crew costs
alone exceed 20% and those aren't reduced in the ULCC model. So they are not going to be able to sustain an 80% cost advantage over AC flights.

Fuel costs aren't reduced, crew costs definitely are (though whether this is a good thing is a separate issue). I disagree the prices aren't sustainable though, the cost difference is no larger than any other ULCC. I think you underestimate the savings of not having a complete route network, and underestimate the degree to which ULCCs monetize other aspects of the service. They'll charge for carry-ons, they'll charge for a can of pop, they'll charge for phoning their call centre, etc. That's how ULCCs make their money, not on the ticket price (which you're right is at a loss).

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - plam - 04-17-2021

I think the ULCC business model is terrible for climate and for passengers. But it's got to be profitable with the hidden charges since it operates successfully in Europe. And Flair is definitely that.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - tomh009 - 04-17-2021

(04-17-2021, 10:36 PM)plam Wrote: I think the ULCC business model is terrible for climate and for passengers. But it's got to be profitable with the hidden charges since it operates successfully in Europe. And Flair is definitely that.

While I personally prefer a full-service airline, I'll say that the ULCC model isn't any worse for the climate as such. If anything, flying a few more pax for the same amount of fuel is probably a bit better. What is potentially not good, though, is excessive growth (however that is defined!) in air travel, and ULCC pricing might certainly encourage that.

RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - danbrotherston - 04-18-2021

(04-17-2021, 10:46 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-17-2021, 10:36 PM)plam Wrote: I think the ULCC business model is terrible for climate and for passengers. But it's got to be profitable with the hidden charges since it operates successfully in Europe. And Flair is definitely that.

While I personally prefer a full-service airline, I'll say that the ULCC model isn't any worse for the climate as such. If anything, flying a few more pax for the same amount of fuel is probably a bit better. What is potentially not good, though, is excessive growth (however that is defined!) in air travel, and ULCC pricing might certainly encourage that.

I'm confused, you ay that it isn't any worse for the climate, then you explain how it is worse for the climate?

ULCC does fly passengers more efficiently, is worse for the climate because it lowers the cost of flying, which ultimately drives more flights.

That being said, I'm not saying that the ULCC business CAN'T be successful, just that it is an extremely high risk venture. Our government should not be putting a lot of money into a high risk venture like that.