Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Coke6pk - 02-21-2019

(02-20-2019, 09:02 PM)rangersfan Wrote: A new brewery Counterpoint Brewing has opened in Kitchener.

https://twitter.com/cpointbrewingco?lang=en

A buddy of mine co-owns this one.  Went to the grand opening and they had hour long wait to get in... Good problem to have.....

Coke

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 02-21-2019

Where is it located?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Spokes - 02-21-2019

(02-21-2019, 08:23 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 09:02 PM)rangersfan Wrote: A new brewery Counterpoint Brewing has opened in Kitchener.

https://twitter.com/cpointbrewingco?lang=en

A buddy of mine co-owns this one.  Went to the grand opening and they had hour long wait to get in... Good problem to have.....

Coke

WOW.  That's got to be a great feeling as a business owner.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jamincan - 02-21-2019

I always have this bad feeling that we're reaching peak craft beer and businesses will suffer, but there seems to be strong support for them. I know amongst my group of friends we almost drink exclusively local beer and the beer that isn't tends to be from small craft breweries from elsewhere in Ontario.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Rainrider22 - 02-21-2019

(02-21-2019, 10:43 AM)jamincan Wrote: I always have this bad feeling that we're reaching peak craft beer and businesses will suffer, but there seems to be strong support for them. I know amongst my group of friends we almost drink exclusively local beer and the beer that isn't tends to be from small craft breweries from elsewhere in Ontario.

Craft only for my friends and myself.  In particular, local craft.  We spend many Sunday afternoons at TWB for a pint and amazing entertainment.  If you haven't gone, and you appreciate the local arts and music scene, I strongly recommend going to TWB on a Sunday afternoon.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - danbrotherston - 02-21-2019

(02-20-2019, 10:43 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:

https://twitter.com/cpointbrewingco?la
So now I can drive along Victoria Street and get a beer from Abe and Erb, Descendant, Counterpoint, and a quick turn left, then Waterloo Brewing..wow, And lets not forget a stop at Smile Tiger for coffee, or Settlement...  good times

Please don't drive after 3 pints Smile

(02-21-2019, 11:00 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 10:43 AM)jamincan Wrote: I always have this bad feeling that we're reaching peak craft beer and businesses will suffer, but there seems to be strong support for them. I know amongst my group of friends we almost drink exclusively local beer and the beer that isn't tends to be from small craft breweries from elsewhere in Ontario.

Craft only for my friends and myself.  In particular, local craft.  We spend many Sunday afternoons at TWB for a pint and amazing entertainment.  If you haven't gone, and you appreciate the local arts and music scene, I strongly recommend going to TWB on a Sunday afternoon.

Same. And that seems to be the growing trend.  In part because of the supporting local movement, but also, because it's usually just better.

Just saw on Instagram that Settlement Co Coffee will be opening their fourth location in North Waterloo - 2220 University East by RIM Park

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Rainrider22 - 02-21-2019

(02-21-2019, 11:12 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-20-2019, 10:43 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: So now I can drive along Victoria Street and get a beer from Abe and Erb, Descendant, Counterpoint, and a quick turn left, then Waterloo Brewing..wow, And lets not forget a stop at Smile Tiger for coffee, or Settlement...  good times

Please don't drive after 3 pints Smile
You forgot the 2 coffees....  I usually fill my growlers...

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 02-24-2019

(02-21-2019, 11:00 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:

The challenge I personally have is that I'm not a big fan of IPAs -- and IPA (and others of its ilk) make up the majority of many craft brewers' menus.

I'm hoping that the next stage in the evolution of craft beer will see the craft brewers specialize and develop more distinct styles rather than all of them trying to attack the same market segments (such as IPA). Until then, it's less craft beer for me and imported beers will fill that gap.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jamincan - 02-24-2019

(02-24-2019, 12:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 11:00 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Craft only for my friends and myself.  In particular, local craft.  We spend many Sunday afternoons at TWB for a pint and amazing entertainment.  If you haven't gone, and you appreciate the local arts and music scene, I strongly recommend going to TWB on a Sunday afternoon.

The challenge I personally have is that I'm not a big fan of IPAs -- and IPA (and others of its ilk) make up the majority of many craft brewers' menus.

I'm hoping that the next stage in the evolution of craft beer will see the craft brewers specialize and develop more distinct styles rather than all of them trying to attack the same market segments (such as IPA). Until then, it's less craft beer for me and imported beers will fill that gap.

It's pretty seasonal, IPAs, sours, and radlers are far more common in the summer. There are still a lot of IPAs available due to popularity, but the representation is far more broad. There are loads of non-IPA options available locally, though. Just had an excellent stout from Counterpoint last week - Black Cello.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 02-24-2019

Counterpoint Black Cello - a stout, I presume?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - clasher - 02-24-2019

Abe Erb has a bunch of low-hop beers with real character... Kölsch, Hefeweizen... a real English mild, a few stouts/porters on tap in Kitchener. When I homebrewed a decade ago I found the same thing, everyone was all about making hop-bombs and it seemed like malt-forward beers or anything that wasn't high IBU was like second-class beer. I don't know how if that scene has really changed or not but it seemed to me like everyone was just trying to make bigger, stronger, more alcoholic brews.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 02-24-2019

Reminds me of New World Chardonnay’s back in the 1980’s - drinking them could be like sucking on a butterscotch and a hunk of wood!

I’ve had the impression that over-hopped beers have been passing out of favour as brewers have honed their craft. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part ...

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Rainrider22 - 02-24-2019

(02-24-2019, 12:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-21-2019, 11:00 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Craft only for my friends and myself.  In particular, local craft.  We spend many Sunday afternoons at TWB for a pint and amazing entertainment.  If you haven't gone, and you appreciate the local arts and music scene, I strongly recommend going to TWB on a Sunday afternoon.

There are so many great beers being brewed locally outside the IPA though,  Block3 has many different styles.  I was just at Red Circle, yesterday and tried a flight, wow  great job.   You just have to experiment, and enjoy the fact that you are supporting local...  Thats the biggest factor for me...