Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Smore - 03-24-2015

(03-24-2015, 10:53 PM)panamaniac Wrote: This reminds me - has anyone heard anything about where the Together We're Bitter pub will be located?

I note their Twitter header is of a somewhat interesting location...but I'm not familiar enough with the location/vacancies to speculate..

https://twitter.com/twbpub

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 03-24-2015

If the photo on that page is meant to be a hint then I'm excited!

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Lens - 03-24-2015

I would say that Imbibe is doing well enough that they didn't want to pay more for a space that's not ideal for them. I am confident that they'll be staying put in DTK.

As for TWB, their header image is of the Tannery, and 189 Joesph which is still an active commercial listing. [Image: 16459686127_efdaf00623_c.jpg]189 Joseph St by Matt M S, on Flickr

This tweet shows the inside of their Downtown location which I had trouble placing because the ceiling doesn't look "old"
https://twitter.com/twbpub/status/559890116832141313/photo/1

I had also speculated the former Casablanca space, or maybe Cesaria's old spot as possibilities. Maybe the former Hive?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 03-24-2015

Yeah, I don't recognize that interior either (that metal ceiling looks quite new).  With it's outdoor patio, the former Hive might be a better location for Imbibe.  I don't think it would be large enough for TWB and its equipment.

Edit:  Actually, looking at the various posted photos, the equipment seems to be located at a commercial storage facility.  Is the corner of the U-Haul building at the corner of Victoria and Charles empty by any chance? 

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Drake - 03-25-2015

Nothing is impossible, but that location potential would be wasted by a small craft brewery going in there.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Spokes - 03-25-2015

(03-24-2015, 10:35 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(03-24-2015, 09:25 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The Record is reporting that Imbibe will be closing on July 1st.  They were apparently unable to negotiate a new lease with THESMUSEUM, which was looking to increase the rent.  It is not clear from the article whether Imbibe will open in a new location or whether the owner, Bill MacTavish, will concentrate on the Boathouse.

Ridiculous.  This is a great venue for eating.  I love the food and the atmosphere.  This is a big mistake on the part of The Museum.  They think they will get someone else who will pay "fair market value"  Get real, Although changes are doming, Downtown Kitchener is still fragile.  Clearly the people making the decisions are way out of touch. And what ever happened to supporting your partners that were there from the beginning. Subject to not knowing all the facts, I hope this is not a case of greed for the museum to make more money....

Potentially bad move, I agree.  That being said, you've got to think they know they can get the rents they desire, or even have an agreement with a new place already.

That being said, I think it's far from realistic to call David Marskell out of touch, he's probably the farthest thing from it.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Spokes - 03-25-2015

(03-24-2015, 11:30 PM)Lens Wrote: I would say that Imbibe is doing well enough that they didn't want to pay more for a space that's not ideal for them. I am confident that they'll be staying put in DTK.

As for TWB, their header image is of the Tannery, and 189 Joesph which is still an active commercial listing. [Image: 16459686127_efdaf00623_c.jpg]189 Joseph St by Matt M S, on Flickr

This tweet shows the inside of their Downtown location which I had trouble placing because the ceiling doesn't look "old"
https://twitter.com/twbpub/status/559890116832141313/photo/1

I had also speculated the former Casablanca space, or maybe Cesaria's old spot as possibilities. Maybe the former Hive?

Any of those locations you mentioned would be fantastic.  My top two would certainly be the Tannery option and the former Hive.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 03-25-2015

The Record notes today that Rise and Shine Bagels in Waterloo will be closing later this spring.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - BuildingScout - 03-25-2015

(03-25-2015, 07:05 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(03-24-2015, 10:35 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Ridiculous.  This is a great venue for eating.  I love the food and the atmosphere.  This is a big mistake on the part of The Museum.  They think they will get someone else who will pay "fair market value"  Get real, Although changes are doming, Downtown Kitchener is still fragile.  Clearly the people making the decisions are way out of touch. And what ever happened to supporting your partners that were there from the beginning. Subject to not knowing all the facts, I hope this is not a case of greed for the museum to make more money....

Potentially bad move, I agree.  That being said, you've got to think they know they can get the rents they desire, or even have an agreement with a new place already.

The Record article seems to suggest they have no strategy to replace Imbibe. I'm with Rainrider22 here. This is a mistake, likely to result in a loss of revenue which the Museum can ill afford.

(03-25-2015, 10:15 AM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(03-25-2015, 07:05 AM)Spokes Wrote: Potentially bad move, I agree.  That being said, you've got to think they know they can get the rents they desire, or even have an agreement with a new place already.

The Record article seems to suggest they have no strategy to replace Imbibe. I'm with Rainrider22 here. This is a mistake, likely to result in a loss of revenue which the Museum can ill afford.

You may be right but THEMUSEUM is also in a difficult position.  It relies on an annual grant from the City that could be at risk if councillors targeted the fact that they were charging Imbibe below-market rent.  In any event, I do hope that Imbibe will relocate rather than closing down for good, although the Record article says only that its future is "unclear".   If nothing else, they have shown that there is a solid market for that type of operation Downtown.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - zanate - 03-25-2015

(03-25-2015, 11:14 AM)panamaniac Wrote: You may be right but THEMUSEUM is also in a difficult position.  It relies on an annual grant from the City that could be at risk if councillors targeted the fact that they were charging Imbibe below-market rent.  In any event, I do hope that Imbibe will relocate rather than closing down for good, although the Record article says only that its future is "unclear".   If nothing else, they have shown that there is a solid market for that type of operation Downtown.

Reading the Record article, it's a little hard to understand why THEMUSEUM is ending negotiations because they're seeking "market rates", when they state how the space is already not ideal for a restaurant-like use, especially when the article goes on to say how the space might be used for a restaurant or a bar (but not a shoe shop!) Now THEMUSEUM has a storefront space without a tenant, and there are a number of those up and down King St. that they have to compete with.

I feel like there are other unstated reasons for this. THEMUSEUM is talking like it is in a position of strength, and that there was no value to retaining their current tenant. I'm not sure why they view the situation like this, given the awkwardness of the space they have. It's like they don't remember how forgettable Cafe M was, or appreciate the ingenuity required to make Imbibe so much more successful than Cafe M was.

...Unless they decided it was in their best interest to get Imbibe out.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - nms - 03-25-2015

The space was initially designed to be the museum gift shop. Could a boutique version of Mastermind Toys be a good fit?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Markster - 03-25-2015

It kind of reminds me of Matter of Taste in Waterloo Town Square. A business that was doing a wonderful job animating an otherwise quieter space, driven out in the name of higher rents.

Honestly, as zanate says, there must be more going on behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if management simply wasn't happy with their tenant, and raised rent to what they felt would be worth it to continue to "deal with them".

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - ookpik - 03-25-2015

(03-25-2015, 09:37 AM)panamaniac Wrote: The Record notes today that Rise and Shine Bagels in Waterloo will be closing later this spring.

Unfortunately that has been in the cards ever since Brian had his hip surgery and had to close his business temporarily. 

His are by far the best bagels in the region--much better than City Cafe's. Too bad they couldn't find a way to work together. (I have no idea if they even had discussions about that but it seems obvious that they should have at least tried.)

(03-25-2015, 12:07 PM)Markster Wrote: It kind of reminds me of Matter of Taste in Waterloo Town Square. A business that was doing a wonderful job animating an otherwise quieter space, driven out in the name of higher rents.

Honestly, as zanate says, there must be more going on behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if management simply wasn't happy with their tenant, and raised rent to what they felt would be worth it to continue to "deal with them".

Anything's impossible, but I'd be surprised by that.  If anything, the relationship seemed mutually beneficial to me.