Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - ijmorlan - 04-16-2020

(04-15-2020, 06:06 PM)plam Wrote:
(04-15-2020, 01:02 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Saw a mention on Reddit that Chainsaw is also shutting down, but with no source. Can anyone confirm this?

I've heard it from partner-of-friend as well. It was never planned to be permanent, just a use of the land until they could further develop it, I recall.

Do you mean at King and Dupont? Maybe they’re turning it back into a KFC Tongue

(assuming I’m right about it being a former KFC — anybody know for sure?)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - robdrimmie - 04-16-2020

(04-16-2020, 10:29 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: (assuming I’m right about it being a former KFC — anybody know for sure?)

I don't believe it's ever been a KFC. The uptown KFC was where Ethel's is now located. The building that houses Chainsaw was a Mother's pizza, where I took my first steps according to family lore, for a long time.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Chicopee - 04-16-2020

(04-16-2020, 10:46 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(04-16-2020, 10:29 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: (assuming I’m right about it being a former KFC — anybody know for sure?)

I don't believe it's ever been a KFC. The uptown KFC was where Ethel's is now located. The building that houses Chainsaw was a Mother's pizza, where I took my first steps according to family lore, for a long time.

That's right, the KFC was where Ethel's is. Prior to KFC, it was Maple Lane Dairy .

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 04-16-2020

(04-16-2020, 11:45 AM)Chicopee Wrote:
(04-16-2020, 10:46 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I don't believe it's ever been a KFC. The uptown KFC was where Ethel's is now located. The building that houses Chainsaw was a Mother's pizza, where I took my first steps according to family lore, for a long time.

That's right, the KFC was where Ethel's is. Prior to KFC, it was Maple Lane Dairy .

Wow!  Flash from the past.

(04-16-2020, 10:46 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:

Thanks for the information.

I was basing that solely upon architectural features that I could have sworn were old-style KFC features. I have no actual recollection of KFC, and actually I’m not sure I even have any recollection of pre-Chainsaw at all (I moved here in 1993 but didn’t spend much time off campus at first).

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - robdrimmie - 04-16-2020

(04-16-2020, 12:51 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I was basing that solely upon architectural features that I could have sworn were old-style KFC features. I have no actual recollection of KFC, and actually I’m not sure I even have any recollection of pre-Chainsaw at all (I moved here in 1993 but didn’t spend much time off campus at first).

I lived outside the Region from 1995 until 2002 so I can't say. Immediately prior to the Chainsaw it had been a country bar for a pretty long time I think, but the name escapes me.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - goggolor - 04-16-2020

(04-16-2020, 12:51 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(04-16-2020, 10:46 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I don't believe it's ever been a KFC. The uptown KFC was where Ethel's is now located. The building that houses Chainsaw was a Mother's pizza, where I took my first steps according to family lore, for a long time.

Thanks for the information.

I was basing that solely upon architectural features that I could have sworn were old-style KFC features. I have no actual recollection of KFC, and actually I’m not sure I even have any recollection of pre-Chainsaw at all (I moved here in 1993 but didn’t spend much time off campus at first).

Surely you remember the Silver Spur if you were here prior to 2009?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - bgb_ca - 04-16-2020

(04-16-2020, 01:23 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(04-16-2020, 12:51 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I was basing that solely upon architectural features that I could have sworn were old-style KFC features. I have no actual recollection of KFC, and actually I’m not sure I even have any recollection of pre-Chainsaw at all (I moved here in 1993 but didn’t spend much time off campus at first).

I lived outside the Region from 1995 until 2002 so I can't say. Immediately prior to the Chainsaw it had been a country bar for a pretty long time I think, but the name escapes me.

Silver Spur. One of the first bars I visited when I moved here in 05 (and had some douche steal my pitcher of beer off the patio and spill it all over himself.)

(04-16-2020, 01:23 PM)goggolor Wrote:
(04-16-2020, 12:51 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Thanks for the information.

Surely you remember the Silver Spur if you were here prior to 2009?

Now that you mention it, I might have a vague memory of that.

But I have never been to either establishment, and it sounds like they are somewhat similar so the difference isn’t very salient to me.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jgsz - 04-17-2020

The Crossroads forced to permanently shut down due to pandemic

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 04-17-2020

Ouch!

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jgsz - 04-17-2020

(04-17-2020, 03:50 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Ouch!

Yeah, we there several times.  Not the best food but there was much to choose from.  I always left sated.  It was also very affordable.

I think that post-Covid19, self-serve buffets will be closed.  You would still be able to get the food but a server will have to serve it behind glass.  Personally I would favour that after seeing what some people and kids do at a self-serve.  So places like Mandarin, Crossroads, Classic Indian, etc will have to reconfigure their buffets.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - neonjoe - 04-17-2020

They will essentially become like old school cafeteria style?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 04-17-2020

(04-17-2020, 05:03 PM)neonjoe Wrote: They will essentially become like old school cafeteria style?

Be kind, think "trendy food hall" style!  Smile

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - ijmorlan - 04-17-2020

(04-17-2020, 04:53 PM)jgsz Wrote:
(04-17-2020, 03:50 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Ouch!

Yeah, we there several times.  Not the best food but there was much to choose from.  I always left sated.  It was also very affordable.

I think that post-Covid19, self-serve buffets will be closed.  You would still be able to get the food but a server will have to serve it behind glass.  Personally I would favour that after seeing what some people and kids do at a self-serve.  So places like Mandarin, Crossroads, Classic Indian, etc will have to reconfigure their buffets.

My guess would be there might be an intermediate period where restaurants can be open but buffets have to be run differently. Eventually though I expect it to be back to normal. If Covid-19 is indeed eliminated from the human population, then it’s not obvious to me how things will have changed.