Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 10-09-2015

(10-07-2015, 04:27 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: Does anyone know what's happening with Quiznos subs  (at least in Waterloo region) there is only 2 locations left in the region (Hespler RD and Sportsworld) The remaining Waterloo locations closed earlier this year and I noticed the Sunrise shopping Centre location has also closed. I read that there bankrupt in the States but it wasn't going to affect Quiznos Canada.

They went Chapter 11 (equivalent to receivership in Canada) but exited that over a year ago.

Quizno's is normally all franchise, so either the franchisees decided to throw in the towel, or (less likely) the company decided not to renew their franchise agreements.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - numberguy - 10-10-2015

(10-07-2015, 03:39 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Has it been noted that "B", in the former Imbibe space had its soft opening yesterday?  I popped in this afternoon and thought both the space and the menu looked quite good.  

Has there been any word at all about the plans for a "new Imbibe"?

I heard that Imbibe's owner, Bill MacTavish, has also stopped participating in the ownership of the Boathouse. It could be a personal/health/family issue, or there could be financial/capital issues. I wouldn't bet on an early re-opening.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 10-10-2015

(10-10-2015, 11:57 AM)numberguy Wrote:
(10-07-2015, 03:39 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Has it been noted that "B", in the former Imbibe space had its soft opening yesterday?  I popped in this afternoon and thought both the space and the menu looked quite good.  

Has there been any word at all about the plans for a "new Imbibe"?

I heard that Imbibe's owner, Bill MacTavish, has also stopped participating in the ownership of the Boathouse.    It could be a personal/health/family issue, or there could be financial/capital issues.   I wouldn't bet on an early re-opening.

This happened in the summer already, they went their different ways, with MacTavish planning for a new Imbibe.  The rumour was that he was looking at the former Marisol space, but that has now been snapped up by the Berlin's owners.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - numberguy - 10-15-2015

Gushue (as of last week) had not signed the lease on the old Marisol space.

Still no new-Imbibe. There's loads of empty downtown Kitchener space. I reiterate, there must be a lack of capital or there may be personal/health issues.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Viewfromthe42 - 10-15-2015

Just a few spaces north (or west) of where Caesaria's was, around a massage parlour, there's some frontage work going on, though I haven't seen what is happening there.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - REnerd - 10-15-2015

(10-15-2015, 07:43 AM)numberguy Wrote: Gushue (as of last week) had not signed the lease on the old Marisol space.

Still no new-Imbibe.   There's loads of empty downtown Kitchener space.    I reiterate, there must be a lack of capital or there may be personal/health issues.

If this is speculation, it is not in good taste.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - numberguy - 10-16-2015

Why do you say that? No disrespect was meant.

Imbibe closed months ago. No new location has opened. The Boathouse was a going concern and up and running. He pulled out.

There are two reasons that come to mind. Financial and personal. Please explain how that is in poor taste.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 10-17-2015

Good news!  Descendants Beer and Beverage Co. will be opening a brew pub in a 5,000 square ft building at 319 Victoria St N.   The Record article says they hope to be up and running early in the new year.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5965012-craft-brewery-to-open-within-months/

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Lens - 10-17-2015

As with TWB I think this will be all brew and no pub.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 10-17-2015

(10-17-2015, 06:38 PM)Lens Wrote: As with TWB I think this will be all brew and no pub.

The article talks about German beer hall-type tables, so I was assuming pub.  Time will tell, but if it's just brew, 5,000 sq ft seems way too large.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - MidTowner - 10-18-2015

Awesome, awesome, awesome. The mention of "tables" must mean some kind of service. Even if not (or not yet), that is a great location for a place for people to be able to fill up growlers- walkable to downtown, good transit.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - ookpik - 10-18-2015

The tables may be just for tasting, i.e. no food. Give them a chance to launch the brewery first. Then if they succeed at that 5,000 ft² may prove to be a great decision because it lets them grow in place.

Also how much parking is available?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 10-18-2015

(10-18-2015, 09:57 AM)ookpik Wrote: The tables may be just for tasting, i.e. no food. Give them a chance to launch the brewery first. Then if they succeed at that 5,000 ft² may prove to be a great decision because it lets them grow in place.

The building does have parking at the back, but I don't know how much.  If you don't know the building, it's the one that was recently renovated after serving as a fireworks shop.  About a short block before Lancaster.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - MidTowner - 10-18-2015

(10-18-2015, 09:57 AM)ookpik Wrote: Also how much parking is available?

I don't think that's too important, given the new iXpress and the fact that it's so close to downtown.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 10-18-2015

(10-18-2015, 09:57 AM)ookpik Wrote: The tables may be just for tasting, i.e. no food. Give them a chance to launch the brewery first. Then if they succeed at that 5,000 ft² may prove to be a great decision because it lets them grow in place.

If it's good, I plan to walk there. Big Grin