Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 10-19-2015

I see that the Apollo Cinema folks have taken over the Amsterdam Café in the office complex and renamed it the Mercury Café (Apollo - Merucry, cute). Has anybody been in to try it?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - notmyfriends - 10-19-2015

Does the Downtown Bruce have a website, or hours listed online or something?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Drake - 10-19-2015

(10-18-2015, 08:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote: If it's good, I plan to walk there. Big Grin

And stumble back Wink

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - mpd618 - 10-19-2015

(10-19-2015, 06:30 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: Does the Downtown Bruce have a website, or hours listed online or something?

Yep, though I can't find the hours there.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - notmyfriends - 10-19-2015

(10-19-2015, 07:10 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(10-19-2015, 06:30 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: Does the Downtown Bruce have a website, or hours listed online or something?

Yep, though I can't find the hours there.

Thanks, that eventually led to their hours
https://instagram.com/p/8oKIvoNoH5/?taken-by=b_dtk

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Section ThirtyOne - 10-20-2015

Walking by, I noticed that Big John's Subs in Belmont Village is closed for renovations until the 25th of October.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 10-20-2015

(10-19-2015, 06:36 PM)Drake Wrote:
(10-18-2015, 08:32 PM)tomh009 Wrote: If it's good, I plan to walk there. Big Grin

And stumble back Wink

That's all right!  Much better than having to deal with driving or a taxi.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Lens - 10-20-2015

(10-19-2015, 11:08 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Gushue has gotten Marisol for the Graffiti restaurant.

Between the nearby iXpress, and the fact that I'm at King and Victoria, I'll likely continue my car-free acquisition of beer. That Innocente is also on a bus route directly between home and work is also a growler-filling blessing.

Not yet.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Viewfromthe42 - 10-21-2015

(10-20-2015, 08:41 PM)Lens Wrote:
(10-19-2015, 11:08 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Gushue has gotten Marisol for the Graffiti restaurant.

Between the nearby iXpress, and the fact that I'm at King and Victoria, I'll likely continue my car-free acquisition of beer. That Innocente is also on a bus route directly between home and work is also a growler-filling blessing.

Not yet.

Dueling inside sources, then ;-)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - zanate - 10-21-2015

Regarding Imbibe, information I got from the popup was that the owner is in a bit of a disagreement with his partner at Boathouse regarding being bought out. They have lawyered up. As of the KOI popup (couple of weeks ago?), no resolution.

Until this is resolved, no new Imbibe.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - TMKM94 - 10-22-2015

McMullans in Uptown Waterloo has closed. There info sign says it's been a slice Waterloo. I also noticed something seems to be opening in the old Fox and the fiddle, renovations are happening inside but there's no sign for anything opening soon though.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - rangersfan - 10-22-2015

McMullan's closed? That closure due to the building damage must have had a serious impact on their clientele even after reopening?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - zanate - 10-22-2015

http://www.thecord.ca/mcmullans-on-king-closing/

Quote:McMullan’s pub and grill is still in the process of finalizing their King Street location closure but after three years, owners Chuck and Ingrid McMullan look forward to moving on.

A reasonable offer was proposed in the beginning of September paired with a couple of factors, including the “economic forecast” for their future in this industry and refocusing their time on other priorities.

The article goes on with the sellers' opinion that the economic outlook for uptown and its parking situation is poor. This doesn't make much sense to me: it makes more sense that there's just increased competition and it's the right time to get out, and they've got a good offer on the table, which means there's a party who thinks that there's money to be made in Uptown.

And maybe just a touch of self-rationalization.

Regardless, they'll be missed. My wife and I were semi-regular there and really appreciated the value of their pizza-and-pitcher deal, and they were also one of our go-to's when doing anything with KWLT across the street.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - ookpik - 10-22-2015

My husband and I are getting old. We got an offer … we can’t do this forever,” said Ingrid.

That says it all. I don't know how old they are, but if they want out and they get a reasonable offer then it should be no surprise they should take the money and run. If they wait until they can no longer cope with running a demanding business then they'll have to sell under duress. In that situation it's likely any potential buyers will be able to drive a very hard bargain.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Elmira Guy - 10-22-2015

What about the McMullen's location in Kitchener?