Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - BuildingScout - 02-28-2016

(02-28-2016, 09:52 PM)jamincan Wrote: Uptown doesn't seem like an ideal place for a fast food restaurant. Carl's Jr. wasn't bad, but why would I go there when there are so many better and tastier options nearby? Boardwalk seems like a much better fit for them to me.

I agree, but then again Subway and Zoup do fine so what do I know?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 02-29-2016

(02-28-2016, 01:19 PM)goggolor Wrote:
(02-28-2016, 12:53 PM)schooner77 Wrote: Carl's Jr. in Uptown has bitten the dust. Not sure if that's attributable to location, product, LRT or what, but certainly troubling for the owners of the Square.

The locations in Toronto closed in January due to issues with the franchisee (http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/01/14/carls-jr-stores-in-toronto-close-their-doors.html) and the Guelph store is closed now too so unlikely to be LRT-related. 

Hopefully this means fewer issues for food trucks setting up in the Square now - I saw a food truck owner post on Twitter that Carls Jr were aggressive in keeping trucks away during Jazz Fest.

The Waterloo location was also operated by 6 Points, so not surprising that it has closed as well now.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - TMKM94 - 02-29-2016

I don't think Carl's Jr. Has the power to keep food trucks away so the food truck owner could have just ignored them. According to this twitter feed it seems like it will hopefully only be a temporary closure. Check out @CarlsJrCA's Tweet: https://twitter.com/CarlsJrCA/status/701830782940123136?s=01

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 02-29-2016

I *think* that's Carl's Jr official Twitter account, rather than 6 Points. So that may mean that they are looking for new franchisees (or maybe they already have new ones, and they are working on opening those locations).

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - curiouschair - 02-29-2016

(02-29-2016, 04:32 AM)tomh009 Wrote: I *think* that's Carl's Jr official Twitter account, rather than 6 Points.  So that may mean that they are looking for new franchisees (or maybe they already have new ones, and they are working on opening those locations).

It certianlly seems like that's the case based on this tweet, but who knows when that will be.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en-gb"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hi <a href="https://twitter.com/Justin_Pod">@Justin_Pod</a>, Guelph and Waterloo are closed, but we look forward to opening new locations all across the GTA in the very near future <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/brb?src=hash">#brb</a></p>&mdash; Carl's Jr. Canada (@CarlsJrCA) <a href="https://twitter.com/CarlsJrCA/status/701830667294748674">22 February 2016</a></blockquote>

They are still expanding in western Canada apparently, so I would expect it wouldn't be too long.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - curiouschair - 02-29-2016

On the Carl's Jr. Canada facebook page, someone seems to have some very specific knowledge:

Quote:6 Points, the franchisee for Ontario, broke their Carl's Jr contract in the number of restaurants they were supposed to open. Instead of paying the $80,000 penalty, the franchisee decided to wash their hands of the current and future Carl's Jr restaurants in Ontario.

Carl's Jr is currently in litigation with this franchisee for payment due to breach of contract.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - TMKM94 - 03-01-2016

(02-29-2016, 02:42 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: According to this twitter feed it seems like it will hopefully only be a temporary closure. Check out @CarlsJrCA's Tweet: https://twitter.com/CarlsJrCA/status/701830782940123136?s=01

I can confirm Carl's Jr. Is permanently closed (I knew it was wishful thinking that it was temporary) I have a friend that worked there and I asked him if they were temporarily or permanently closed he said it's permanent.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - MidTowner - 03-01-2016

(02-28-2016, 09:52 PM)jamincan Wrote: Uptown doesn't seem like an ideal place for a fast food restaurant. Carl's Jr. wasn't bad, but why would I go there when there are so many better and tastier options nearby? Boardwalk seems like a much better fit for them to me.

This was my thought, too, that it was a bit out of place there. I think that it’s possible this was just my personal prejudice, though, that I didn’t “like” seeing a fast food logo (let alone that of some newfangled brand from the U.S.) so prominent in Uptown.

To be honest, I don’t think I know anyone who had even tried Carl’s here in KW. I remember a lot of excitement amongst cross-border shoppers and the like who knew the brand when it first opened. Have they been doing well in Canada? Not so well?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Markster - 03-01-2016

I honestly felt that Carl's Jr was a decent idea in Uptown. The only other hamburger joint is Harmony Lunch, and it doesn't really qualify as "fast food". It was expanding the sub-$10 lunch options.

I went a couple times, and really couldn't complain. It was a decent fast food burger.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 03-01-2016

Had lunch today at the Grand Trunk Saloon on Ontario St S.  It has been nicely renovated, with some comfortable furniture at the front "lounge" area.  My lunch (chicken and andouille gumbo and "hawt tamales") was first rate.  It is not cheap ($35 for a pint of Black Swan IPA, the soup and the main), but I have no hesitation in recommending it.  Good to have a new place with a unique menu.  The cocktail offerings looked pretty interesting as well.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - MacBerry - 03-01-2016

CaliBurger Combines Burgers With Interactive Gaming

The first Canadian franchise location is slated to open on March 2 near Wilfrid Laurier University in Waterloo, Ont. The 2,500-square-foot restaurant seats about 40 guests.

[Image: e65QGfX.jpg]

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 03-01-2016

(03-01-2016, 04:00 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Had lunch today at the Grand Trunk Saloon on Ontario St S.  It has been nicely renovated, with some comfortable furniture at the front "lounge" area.  My lunch (chicken and andouille gumbo and "hawt tamales") was first rate.  It is not cheap ($35 for a pint of Black Swan IPA, the soup and the main), but I have no hesitation in recommending it.  Good to have a new place with a unique menu.  The cocktail offerings looked pretty interesting as well.

Not cheap, but then that's a pretty solid lunch! Smile At least on a workday, I would settle for just the Tamales ($15) or the gumbo ($9).  Glad to hear the food is good, I had only sampled the drinks before ...

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 03-01-2016

(03-01-2016, 10:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-01-2016, 04:00 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Had lunch today at the Grand Trunk Saloon on Ontario St S.  It has been nicely renovated, with some comfortable furniture at the front "lounge" area.  My lunch (chicken and andouille gumbo and "hawt tamales") was first rate.  It is not cheap ($35 for a pint of Black Swan IPA, the soup and the main), but I have no hesitation in recommending it.  Good to have a new place with a unique menu.  The cocktail offerings looked pretty interesting as well.

Not cheap, but then that's a pretty solid lunch! Smile At least on a workday, I would settle for just the Tamales ($15) or the gumbo ($9).  Glad to hear the food is good, I had only sampled the drinks before ...

Indeed, the gumbo was overkill, but I really wanted to sample.  In fact, the next time I go in, I may suggest that they offer a larger portion of the gumbo as an entrée - it was really delicious.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - MacBerry - 03-02-2016

Local coffee roasters part of downtown Cambridge $13M “jewel" reno”

Local Cambridge business Monigram Coffee Roasters to run in-house food-service in the city’s revitalized digital library. On-going modernization and renovations to former Galt Post Office to be completed in 2017.

[Image: 1eVaT0Y.jpg]

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Spokes - 03-02-2016

(03-02-2016, 01:24 AM)MacBerry Wrote: Local coffee roasters part of downtown Cambridge $13M “jewel" reno”

Local Cambridge business Monigram Coffee Roasters to run in-house food-service in the city’s revitalized digital library. On-going modernization and renovations to former Galt Post Office to be completed in 2017.

[Image: 1eVaT0Y.jpg]

If you haven't had their coffee yet, do so ASAP!  Very good!