Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 03-06-2016

We don't talk much about processed foods in this thread, but I've come across three local products recently that I thought I'd mention.

1) Thikur's Gourmet of Waterloo makes a number of Indian soups and chutneys - I tried the Mulligatawny last week and found it excellent.

2) Stock Exchange Organic Bone Broth (Waterloo, I think).

I think these two can be found at Places like David's Gourmet, Vincenzo's, and Legacy Greens

3) Portogallo Hot Sauce is made in Cambridge. I found a display of bottles with three heat levels at Central Fresh the other day. I haven't tried it yet as I have some Nando's Peri-Peri sauce to finish off, but I think it will be good not only with chicken, but with pork and with roasted or braised vegetable.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 03-06-2016

And I discovered today that Nature's Mix granola is from Kitchener ... very nice (for granola fans at least) and available in many local grocery stores.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 03-06-2016

(03-06-2016, 01:19 PM)tomh009 Wrote: And I discovered today that Nature's Mix granola is from Kitchener ... very nice (for granola fans at least) and available in many local grocery stores.

I used to buy it quite often at Central Fresh.  It's very good.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 03-11-2016

Here's something new and interesting - The Rising Stars Dinner Series - fine dining on Wednesday and Thursday evenings in March and April at the Kitchener Market.  A four course meal for $30 per person.  Tickets available on-line.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6388011-fine-dining-at-the-farmers-market/

Here are the menus from the Rising Stars website:

https://www.conestogacommunity.ca/RisingStars2016

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 03-14-2016

It looks like Rhapsody (179 King St E - former Entertaining Elements) opened today.  I couldn't find menus or hours on-line, for some reason.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - TMKM94 - 03-16-2016

(03-05-2016, 03:39 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: All Star Wings and Ribs on Highland RD. (Near Westmount) has closed.

That was fast! Another restaurant is Opening up in the old All Star Wings & Ribs. Called Bullseye Bar & Grill. I think it's an indepenedent restarant I googled it and could only find Restaurants in the States (all with different logos) and one in Qubec.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Section ThirtyOne - 03-16-2016

(03-16-2016, 12:24 AM)TMKM94 Wrote:
(03-05-2016, 03:39 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: All Star Wings and Ribs on Highland RD. (Near Westmount) has closed.

That was fast! Another restaurant is Opening up in the old All Star Wings & Ribs. Called Bullseye Bar & Grill. I think it's an indepenedent restarant I googled it and could only find Restaurants in the States (all with different logos) and one in Qubec.

I saw that too! Hopefully they can break the curse that seems to have plagued this spot. I think there has been three restaurants in the current structure? Red Devil, Eastside Mario's, All-Star... did I miss any?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 03-20-2016

Being incredibly nosey when it comes to Downtown developments, I stuck my head into the new Smile Tiger roastery today. The chap working there told me that they hope to open at the beginning of April. The space looks terrific - I notice that they have built a separate room (lots of interior windows) for the coffee bean roaster, so they won't have to deal with noise in the café. I don't know if anything can tear me away from my afternoon coffee at Matter of Taste, but it's going to be a real temptation if their coffee is good!

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - TMKM94 - 03-23-2016

(03-16-2016, 01:09 PM)Section ThirtyOne Wrote:
(03-16-2016, 12:24 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: That was fast! Another restaurant is Opening up in the old All Star Wings & Ribs. Called Bullseye Bar & Grill. I think it's an indepenedent restarant I googled it and could only find Restaurants in the States (all with different logos) and one in Qubec.

I saw that too! Hopefully they can break the curse that seems to have plagued this spot. I think there has been three restaurants in the current structure? Red Devil, Eastside Mario's, All-Star... did I miss any?

That was all of them I believe. I think the owner of Bullseye might be the same person that franchised that All Star. Because they have an info sign out front that says "New & improved menu and we now have Pool tables" It seems odd to me that a brand new restaurant would have "New and improved menus"  I also didn't see any Now Hiring/Help Wanted Signs.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - neonjoe - 03-23-2016

All Star had a liquor license violation notice on its doors just before it closed. Its likely that they used the down time to change the restaurant over and get out of any franchise agreement.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Lens - 03-23-2016

Not sure if it was mentioned but GoGo Mart at 331 King West has closed.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 03-24-2016

(03-23-2016, 11:59 PM)Lens Wrote: Not sure if it was mentioned but GoGo Mart at 331 King West has closed.

That was quick.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Andy - 03-24-2016

Seemed like it was ahead of its time. I walked by there every day and rarely saw someone there in the mornings. It doesn't seem like it had enough foot traffic to sustain itself.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - KevinL - 04-01-2016

The Tim Hortons inside the Laurentian Zehrs has opened.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 04-02-2016

I finally got over to the Berlin Bicycle Café in Belmont Village and I thought it was very good. The space has been fixed up nicely and I found the coffee (Propeller?) to be good, if a bit milder than I usually prefer. The food, however, is very good - homemade and really tasty daily soup and sandwich items. The menu (breakfast/lunch) is limited but it's well worth a visit. One complaint - I was there for lunch, but I see that they close at 5pm (Tues -Sun). I'd like to see them open evenings, although I realize that's not always possible for a small independent operation, especially when they open at 7am Tues to Sat.