Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - jamincan - 04-02-2016

It looks like they're changing their hours, according to their instagram page.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDs1pwvlr8k/?taken-by=berlinbicyclecafe

Mon-Wed 8am-7pm
Thurs-Sat 8am-8pm
Sun 9am-5pm

Seems a better compromise to me.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 04-02-2016

(04-02-2016, 06:10 PM)jamincan Wrote: It looks like they're changing their hours, according to their instagram page.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDs1pwvlr8k/?taken-by=berlinbicyclecafe

Mon-Wed 8am-7pm
Thurs-Sat 8am-8pm
Sun 9am-5pm

Seems a better compromise to me.

That is an improvement.  I guess the new beer bar across the street will become the Belmont Village night spot by default. 

Off topic - there are a couple of empty storefronts still available in Belmont Village, but I'm kind of hoping they'll end up hosting something other than food/drink establishments.   It seems to have reached "peak food" and would benefit from some more retail, imho.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 04-09-2016

(04-02-2016, 05:38 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I finally got over to the Berlin Bicycle Café in Belmont Village and I thought it was very good.  The space has been fixed up nicely and I found the coffee (Propeller?) to be good, if a bit milder than I usually prefer.  The food, however, is very good - homemade and really tasty daily soup and sandwich items.  The menu (breakfast/lunch) is limited but it's well worth a visit.  One complaint - I was there for lunch, but I see that they close at 5pm (Tues -Sun).  I'd like to see them open evenings, although I realize that's not always possible for a small independent operation, especially when they open at 7am Tues to Sat.

We were there this morning for late breakfast/coffee.  Coffee (caffe latte) was very good, the decor very well done, and the staff friendly.  Not busy at 9 AM, but it was full when we left a little bit before 11.  Happy to see that many customers there!

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 04-09-2016

I've been twice now, for lunch, and it was a full house both times. I think they are going to do well in that location.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 04-09-2016

Amaya Express on King St E at Queen has applied for a liquor licence. I don't know how busy they are in the evenings, but they haven't been busy when I've passed by at lunch time. I wonder how they're doing?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 04-09-2016

Have been there for dinner, maybe 40% full. A liquor licence will add to that, and will also improve their profitability.

At lunchtime, it seems that they also do a fair bit of take-away business.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 04-10-2016

(04-09-2016, 10:26 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Have been there for dinner, maybe 40% full.  A liquor licence will add to that, and will also improve their profitability.

At lunchtime, it seems that they also do a fair bit of take-away business.

That makes sense.  Their system of ordering prepared or freshly-made foods at the back for take-away or for service at table, is a bit unusual.  I hope they do well.  One very good thing is that they are open until 10pm in the evenings.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - schooner77 - 04-10-2016

Stopped by the Grand Trunk Saloon last night, with my wife, for a few drinks and had a great time. What neat place, specializing in their own unique spin on cocktails. We ended up talking to the owner, the former chef at Peter Martin's and, who I assume, is the head bartender. Very informative and entertaining. We will certainly go back. Also, it was nice to see it fairly full, despite the construction state of the area.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 04-10-2016

(04-10-2016, 09:44 AM)schooner77 Wrote: Stopped by the Grand Trunk Saloon last night, with my wife, for a few drinks and had a great time.  What neat place, specializing in their own unique spin on cocktails. We ended up talking to the owner, the former chef at Peter Martin's and, who I assume, is the head bartender. Very informative and entertaining.  We will certainly go back.  Also, it was nice to see it fairly full, despite the construction state of the area.

I was in to Grand Trunk Saloon for brunch today.  There are just five items on the brunch menu but the food is really very good.  I have to get back one evening to start sampling the cocktails - they really seem to know what they're doing in that regard.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 04-14-2016

So I went to the Melville Café in the School of Architecture for lunch today because they have good food and I like to sit looking out the windows onto the river. What should I see but a beaver swimming upstream! I would never have expected to see a beaver in downtown Galt.

And my lunch (3 cheese quiche with Caesar salad) and coffee were, as always, excellent.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Spokes - 04-15-2016

Melville Cafe is fantastic. If you haven't been, go soon. And get the pizza.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 04-15-2016

(04-15-2016, 10:38 AM)Spokes Wrote: Melville Cafe is fantastic.  If you haven't been, go soon.  And get the pizza.

And keep a eye out for the beaver!  Smile

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - BuildingScout - 04-16-2016

A shout out for Bao's Asian Sandwiches, located in the inner court of 62 Balsam St in the Northdale district. The sandwiches are delicious and the place was packed around 6pm today (Saturday).

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 04-16-2016

I was over to Descendants again today and they still have a way to go - one of the large windows out back has been removed (to get large equipment inside?) and the interior is still under construction.  I don't know, but I'd say give it another week or more.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - KevinL - 04-16-2016

I would like to note that R'chyees frozen yogurt at Benton and Charles has reopened for the season. Please try to stop by as the construction is affecting the foot traffic that would normally pass by!