Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Pheidippides - 07-06-2016

Watami in Uptown closing July 17:
https://twitter.com/king15north/status/750432712813584384/photo/1

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - plam - 07-06-2016

I liked watami. Hope they have a good new location. Ramen was good, as was the not ayce-ness.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Andy - 07-06-2016

That's disappointing, I was hoping to go there soon. Does anyone know of any non-ayce alternatives around uptown/downtown cores? It's too bad Niko Niko's closed too.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 07-06-2016

(07-06-2016, 04:59 PM)Andy Wrote: That's disappointing, I was hoping to go there soon. Does anyone know of any non-ayce alternatives around uptown/downtown cores? It's too bad Niko Niko's closed too.

You still have a week left! Smile

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - plam - 07-06-2016

(07-06-2016, 04:59 PM)Andy Wrote: That's disappointing, I was hoping to go there soon. Does anyone know of any non-ayce alternatives around uptown/downtown cores? It's too bad Niko Niko's closed too.

Wasn't so impressed by Niko Niko. Couldn't order nigiri sushi individually. (really?!) I think the closest place, not really in a core, but sort of close, is Suki Sushi, which is where Tomu Sushi used to be? Erb St W and Amos. I also think it's not ayce.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Markster - 07-06-2016

The former Tomu Sushi is still non-AYCE. Though last time I went, it was not up to the level of Tomu.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - JoeKW - 07-06-2016

I miss Tomu

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 07-06-2016

I would be very unhappy with the level of the Japanese food offerings in the region, if it were not for my work travel to Japan, which allows me to make up for the shortfalls. As it is, I am merely disappointed. Some day the travels will stop, though, and then the unhappiness will increase (unless things have improved in the meantime).

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 07-13-2016

Ribfest is on Friday to Sunday in Victoria Park. Not my favourite event, but I know some folks like it. There will be 20 craft breweries offering their products this year.

http://www.kitchenerribandbeerfest.com/Ribfest-Kitchener---Breweries.htm

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 07-13-2016

Public Market (Frederick St at Filbert) opened today and I dropped in. It's a small operation, offering fresh baked goods, prepared salads and sandwiches, along with a range of local and high end food products. There's also a coffee bar at the back. There was also a display of Public's own jams and savoury jellies, many of which were available in small jars, which appeals to me. I don't know if they are at full speed yet, but I would say it's worth having a look if you're in the neighbourhood.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 07-14-2016

Does anyone know when Abe Erb is opening their Tannery location? I'm assuming that they are waiting for the road construction to be a bit more under control down that way.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - schooner77 - 07-14-2016

I was chatting with one of the bartenders a few weeks ago, and the said that the tanks were going in during the late summer and the pub should be open early fall, so I'm assuming late September/early October. Apparently the brewing capacity will be 4X that of the Uptown location.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 07-14-2016

(07-14-2016, 08:39 PM)schooner77 Wrote: I was chatting with one of the bartenders a few weeks ago, and the said that the tanks were going in during the late summer and the pub should be open early fall, so I'm assuming late September/early October. Apparently the brewing capacity will be 4X that of the Uptown location.

Nice!  I was only inside the old Miele showroom once, but I remember it as a pretty large space.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 07-15-2016

A friend told me today that Nougat Café/Bakery/Deli will be closing their Queen St S. location and moving into space in the mall at the corner of Courtland Ave and Stirling. Anybody know if that's accurate? I'm a bit surprised, although the building has its issues, and wonder what will become of the old place on Queen?

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - mpd618 - 07-16-2016

(07-15-2016, 10:19 PM)panamaniac Wrote: A friend told me today that Nougat Café/Bakery/Deli will be closing their Queen St S. location and moving into space in the mall at the corner of Courtland Ave and Stirling.   Anybody know if that's accurate?  I'm a bit surprised, although the building has its issues, and wonder what will become of the old place on Queen?

I think that would be a pretty terrible relocation. The site is zoned mixed-use so I can imagine that someone could be consolidating property for a large development there.