Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Viewfromthe42 - 09-20-2016

It's King-fronting in the GoGo Mart space, on the Francis side of the building.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - nms - 09-23-2016

I understand that the Honey Bake Shop business is pivoting more towards custom orders (eg wedding cakes) than cafe patrons. Potential rising rent (tied to rising property values and therefore taxes) and construction probably didn't help.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - KevinL - 09-23-2016

The vacant corner at Ottawa and Strasburg (where the old PetroCan was removed last year) is slated to have an A&W be built. This will require a zone change to Commercial (currently Service Station).

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - bpoland - 09-23-2016

Firkin at the tannery is closed according to a sign posted on the door.  Sounds like they were $48k behind on their rent.  Photo is from facebook, not taken by me.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - GtwoK - 09-23-2016

Just in time for Abe Erb to open up shop!

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Viewfromthe42 - 09-23-2016

Sad, I really enjoyed the owner there, very delightful fellow, and appreciated the extra lengths he went to in order to get local brews into the building.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 09-23-2016

But $48K arrears on rent is not a good thing. Not at all surprising that the landlord pulled the plug.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Chris - 09-23-2016

(09-23-2016, 01:33 PM)bpoland Wrote: Firkin at the tannery is closed according to a sign posted on the door.  Sounds like they were $48k behind on their rent.  Photo is from facebook, not taken by me.

That sucks, I really liked that place. We ate there a couple times a month, the staff were all very nice and friendly. I hope they can find new employment quickly.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Elmira Guy - 09-23-2016

Last dance: Waterloo's Flying Dog is closing

http://www.570news.com/2016/09/23/last-dance-waterloos-flying-dog-is-closing/

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Spokes - 09-23-2016

(09-23-2016, 02:16 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Sad, I really enjoyed the owner there, very delightful fellow, and appreciated the extra lengths he went to in order to get local brews into the building.

Definitely sad.  I was always surprised it wasn't busier.

May just be speeding up the inevitable.  I always thought Abe Erb would kill the Firkin when they announced the new location.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - taylortbb - 09-23-2016

I'm really not surprised. McCabe's is a block over, and offers better quality food for less money. Everytime I've been in the Firkin it's been quiet, and I've found myself wishing I'd gone to McCabe's. Abe Erb's imminent opening obviously not help the situation either.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 09-23-2016

I enjoyed the Firkin the first few times I went in the year after they opened but then I had a terrible experience while out with guests from out of town - we ordered the day's special of "beef stroganoff" and got something that, to this day, I believe was Hamburger Helper (no, I am not kidding!). I never went back.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 09-24-2016

Our first visit to Two Goblets (since the move) last night. The location is super convenient for us since we live downtown; people coming in from the suburbs or Waterloo need to find parking but there are quite a few lots within two blocks of the new location, plus some street parking.

The new location is pretty compact, with room for maybe 20-25 people. It's been a while since I was at the old location, but wasn't it bigger? The new one is functional but definitely not plush. The soup and salad bar feels a bit cafeteria-style (but both the beef soup and the cucumber salad were very good).

We had a Franz Josef schnitzel and cabbage rolls for dinner. Both were very good indeed, the cabbage roll filling was quite tasty. I'll further single out the sauerkraut as being especially good (if it's from a can, I want to know which brand!). The meal size is very substantial; given the soup and salad, we walked home with a fair bit of leftover food. The beer selection is decent, and I was happy to find Erdinger on the list.

The prices are somewhat higher than at the Metro, but I think the quality of the food justifies the extra cost. We'll be back sooner this time, given how convenient it is now. Need to check out the goulash next time!

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - mpd618 - 09-24-2016

For weekday lunch, Two Goblets now also has a lunch buffet that includes schnitzel and perogies.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Lens - 09-24-2016

Has anyone been Downtown Galt recently in the evening? I was down on Friday for a while and it was a ghost town. For example, Elixir only had ONE table seated at 8:30. Maybe this was just an off night but it was pretty darn quiet down there.