Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Chicopee - 01-26-2017

(01-26-2017, 01:39 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(01-26-2017, 01:30 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Sorry if you misunderstood, I live, work, and play in Downtown, and enjoy it thoroughly. What I mean to say is that I hear vote of confidence and I think of it like investing. When a Venture Capitalist invests in a startup that nobody has heard of and has no revenue, it's a vote of confidence, because the success isn't easily visible to others, if at all. When someone buys Apple stock, it's not a vote of confidence to me, it's buying into an existing success story and a safe bet.

In past, Downtown was more startup, a place where investing meant you were sticking your neck out. As you said, Bingeman's doesn't spend their money frivolously, but at this stage of Downtown's renaissance, opening a restaurant there isn't a vote of confidence (based on my definition of the term), it's an acknowledgement of a very safe bet with high odds of good returns on investment.

I am confident in Downtown, but nothing of this magnitude is a vote of confidence, because nothing about that type of venture asks "are you confident a restaurant could succeed in Downtown?" Yes. Yes we are. That is well known.

Ok, sorry I jumped on that one so harsh,  I am a strong champion for our city and the great things that are happening.  So many times I have to listen to people speak negatively about our City Centre only to admit they haven't been there or supported the businesses in ions because of perceived safety issues..(mostly they fear the disadvantaged people)  While I agree it would be nice to limit Methadone clinics though....

Again, sorry, but thank you for supporting a great community that I predict will be the envy of the Region and many other cities in a number of years.

You're both right, and thank you for advocating Kitchener. In the days of "Busy Berlin", this city was the envy of the entire country and beyond. Then we hit a rough patch in the '70's/80's, and gained an unfavorable reputation which has been tough to shake. I too am quick to react to negative criticism, especially from my friends in Waterloo & Guelph.

If the quality of food at the new restaurant is similar to the quality of catering at Bingeman's, DTK is in for (another) great restaurant.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - kitborn - 01-27-2017

Bingeman's has had restaurants in Kitchener in the past. The Kitchener Dairy restaurant was at the site on King across from Scott Street for a long successful time. The other restaurant was in the Galleria at Weber and Frederick 101 Frederick. Can't remember the name. I don't remember it being there for too long.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Spokes - 01-27-2017

(01-26-2017, 08:53 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Another vote of confidence for Downtown, Bingeman's plans to open a restaurant in the Tannery.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/7085489-bingemans-opening-restaurant-in-downtown-kitchener

No huge surprise.  They own the event space I believe.

Good none the less.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Canard - 02-02-2017

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1048152

Sigh

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Rainrider22 - 02-02-2017

(02-02-2017, 01:45 PM)Canard Wrote: http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1048152

Sigh
It isn't a big deal.  The average person will not be a victim from this type of crime.  It was regular patrons having an argument.   Most people aren't going to frequent Frankies Pub.  I feel bad for the restaurant above, Guanaquita.... It is a great place to eat. 

Many cities have incidents like this everyday, it is part of city life.  Do you want to start counting the number of stabbings and shootings in the Entertainment District in Toronto, many aren't even reported on...

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 02-02-2017

One stabbing at a seedy bar Downtown is one stabbing too many. Unless the issue of the seedy bar is addressed, there will be more problems in future, one suspects.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Markster - 02-02-2017

(02-02-2017, 01:45 PM)Canard Wrote: http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1048152

Sigh

And to get the vital details
Stabbing at Frankie's, last night shortly after midnight.
4 people (3 men, 1 woman) went to hospital with injuries

21-year old man facing assault
36-year old pulled a knife and is facing "numerous charges"

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Elmira Guy - 02-02-2017

It is hardly unheard of for fights and assaults to take place around the bars in Waterloo frequented by university students. Why do we not point a finger of disapproval at those establishments?

The point is there are violent s***heads in every city and demographic. The fact that this happened outside a bar that (presumably) most of us wouldn't go into doesn't make the incident any more appalling than if it happened at King & Uni or Uni & Phillip.

(02-02-2017, 05:03 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: It is hardly unheard of for fights and assaults to take place around the bars in Waterloo frequented by university students. Why do we not point a finger of disapproval at those establishments?

The point is there are violent s***heads in every city and demographic. The fact that this happened outside a bar that (presumably) most of us wouldn't go into doesn't make the incident any more appalling than if it happened at King & Uni or Uni & Phillip.

Thank you for simplifying my point. As soon as it happens in DTK you know you have to prepare for all the ussual statements   it is sadly really

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - MidTowner - 02-02-2017

Is this the thread for discussing crimes that happen to be committed at bars or restaurants? Maybe we should have a separate thread for people to wring their hands about those sorts of things.

Thanks for being the voices of reason, Elmira Guy and Rainrider. Also, you're right about Guanaquita, it's great.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Chicopee - 02-02-2017

Yes, those statements about DTK... from reading the police media reports everyday, I personally think Kitchener is very safe per capita. Fighting is far more prevalent in Downtown Guelph than here, and Kitchener alone has twice the population.

(02-02-2017, 06:42 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Is this the thread for discussing crimes that happen to be committed at bars or restaurants? Maybe we should have a separate thread for people to wring their hands about those sorts of things.

Thanks for being the voices of reason, Elmira Guy and Rainrider. Also, you're right about Guanaquita, it's great.

This is the correct thread: GENERAL food, dining, and nightlife NEWS...

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - MidTowner - 02-02-2017

Sorry, Chicopee, I was being just a little bit facetious in my question there.

If anyone is into Thai food, check out Pho Tran on Victoria at Bruce in the former home of Kim King. It opened last spring after Kim King retired, and it quickly became my favorite in town. It's also worth noting that they have never received a single infraction from the regional health inspector, which to me is a sign of a very high quality restaurant run by very conscientious people.

If you like Pho and a bit of spice, try the P117 coconut curry soup. It's amazing, and I've never come across a similar soup anywhere else!

(02-02-2017, 06:57 PM)Chicopee Wrote: If anyone is into Thai food, check out Pho Tran on Victoria at Bruce in the former home of Kim King. It opened last spring after Kim King retired, and it quickly became my favorite in town. It's also worth noting that they have never received a single infraction from the regional health inspector, which to me is a sign of a very high quality restaurant run by very conscientious people.

If you like Pho and a bit of spice, try the P117 coconut curry soup. It's amazing,  and I've never come across a similar soup anywhere else!

Thanks.  I saw it and have been meaning to try it since my other Viet restaurant on Victoria closed...