Waterloo Region Connected
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Food, Dining and Nightlife (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News (/showthread.php?tid=20)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Rainrider22 - 06-24-2018

(06-24-2018, 06:40 PM)plam Wrote: I understand that in newspapers, reporters typically don't provide titles for their pieces. They get added by the newspaper staff. So if it's just the headline that the Cafe Pyrus owner is talking about, it's not the reporter's fault.

But ethically they are still accountable for what they write.  And if they dont have the integrity to stand up for their writing then I dont want to read what they write..

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 06-24-2018

The on-line Record article has not been changed, so they seem to be standing by their report.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 06-29-2018

Apparently we have not reach peak café in DTK yet:

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - Markster - 06-29-2018

This is almost across the street from where Morning Glory closed up.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 06-29-2018

The "cafe" has always been inside that office building, afaik. The sandwich board seems to go out on a random basis.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 06-29-2018

(06-29-2018, 02:12 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The "cafe" has always been inside that office building, afaik.  The sandwich board seems to go out on a random basis.

Ahhh … looks like they opened in November 2016:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/cafejoysmile/ 

But due to the lack of a sandwich board, though, we missed it in our last DTK café census. Smile

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 06-29-2018

(06-29-2018, 01:13 PM)Markster Wrote: This is almost across the street from where Morning Glory closed up.

(06-29-2018, 05:18 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-29-2018, 02:12 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The "cafe" has always been inside that office building, afaik.  The sandwich board seems to go out on a random basis.

Ahhh … looks like they opened in November 2016:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/cafejoysmile/ 

But due to the lack of a sandwich board, though, we missed it in our last DTK café census. Smile

Judging by the Facebook page, they seem to have gone a bit upmarket from what was there before.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - JoeKW - 06-30-2018

Speaking of coffee, Show and Tell on Ontario (near Two Goblets, just off King) is a really good, 'beyond third wave' coffee shop.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 07-01-2018

(06-30-2018, 09:56 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Speaking of coffee, Show and Tell on Ontario (near Two Goblets, just off King) is a really good, 'beyond third wave' coffee shop.

What does that mean?  (if I don't know, does that mean I'm not the target demographic?  ;Wink )

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - JoeKW - 07-01-2018

It sounds like pretentious coffee snob stuff but it really makes sense.

First wave coffee was the old school coffee shops that sprung up and got everyone drinking coffee. Think Dunkin Donuts and Tim Hortons. Cheap, mass market, simple.

Second wave coffee are the higher end, speciality coffee shops thats showed people that there's more to coffee than just drip. (Starbucks and Second Cup)

Third wave: Focusing on brew methods brew methods and bean origin to bring out the natural flavours of the bean rather than overloading on cream and sugar. (Settlement Coffee Co., Show & Tell)

Beyond third wave: I'm not totally sure other than taking third wave to the max.

Everyone should try this coffee. You'd be surprised about the flavours you get and how little milk or sugar you need. The people who work there are not snobby and are eager to suggest and share their knowledge.

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - tomh009 - 07-01-2018

(06-30-2018, 09:56 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Speaking of coffee, Show and Tell on Ontario (near Two Goblets, just off King) is a really good, 'beyond third wave' coffee shop.

It must be this one? Sign only says "coffee shop".

Mind you, I never add any cream or sugar, even to espresso. And the milk is only for a latte or flat white (or occasionally espresso macchiato).

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - JoeKW - 07-02-2018

yep thats it

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - panamaniac - 07-02-2018

Someday, I hope they turn that laneway/courtyard behind Two Goblets into an outdoor dining space - it would be so cool!

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - plam - 07-02-2018

(07-02-2018, 09:34 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Someday, I hope they turn that laneway/courtyard behind Two Goblets into an outdoor dining space - it would be so cool!

Kitchener seems to be way ahead of Waterloo in a bunch of ways these days, including the quantity of outdoor dining spaces on King St. (Also festivals that close down King St. Somehow Waterloo is super concerned about closing King St for a festival, even Buskers, while Kitchener does it all the time.)

RE: General Food, Dining and Nightlife News - timc - 07-02-2018

(07-02-2018, 03:11 PM)plam Wrote:
(07-02-2018, 09:34 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Someday, I hope they turn that laneway/courtyard behind Two Goblets into an outdoor dining space - it would be so cool!

Kitchener seems to be way ahead of Waterloo in a bunch of ways these days, including the quantity of outdoor dining spaces on King St. (Also festivals that close down King St. Somehow Waterloo is super concerned about closing King St for a festival, even Buskers, while Kitchener does it all the time.)

Well, Uptown Waterloo has been closed for construction for, what, the last four summers?