Waterloo Region Connected
General Retail News - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Waterloo Region Life (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Retail (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: General Retail News (/showthread.php?tid=21)

RE: General Retail News - tomh009 - 07-26-2017

(07-26-2017, 03:46 PM)Canard Wrote: Sad Another Canadian chain getting eaten up by an American one.  Hate that.

On the flip side, there is the $3B sent by Lowe's to Canadian investors, and meanwhile the Rona stores and employees continue largely the way they are today.  So it's not all bad.

RE: General Retail News - DHLawrence - 07-26-2017

Until the Rona stores in close proximity to Lowe's stores close - like in Cambridge.

RE: General Retail News - Coke6pk - 07-27-2017

(07-26-2017, 10:44 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Until the Rona stores in close proximity to Lowe's stores close - like in Cambridge.

** THIS **

Sad

RE: General Retail News - Spokes - 07-28-2017

(07-26-2017, 03:46 PM)Canard Wrote: Sad Another Canadian chain getting eaten up by an American one.  Hate that.

As much as I do too, Rona should have tried harder to be better.  As much as I'd prefer to shop Canadian, when the products and prices elsewhere are better, hard to not go there in my opinion

RE: General Retail News - kps - 07-28-2017

There's still Home Hardware.

RE: General Retail News - creative - 07-28-2017

Home Hardware on Park St. is my preferred go to hardware store. I still refer to it as Beaver Lumber.

RE: General Retail News - KevinL - 07-28-2017

Home is also reportedly putting in a building centre just north of the Boardwalk - where it will compete with Lowe's...

RE: General Retail News - panamaniac - 09-08-2017

I wonder if Downtown will be chosen for a new "CCBO" outlet in Kitchener, or whether they will follow a more suburban path?

RE: General Retail News - KevinL - 10-12-2017

Ikea's next full-size store is opening in... London, in 2019.

How much longer until we get similarly blessed?

RE: General Retail News - panamaniac - 10-12-2017

(10-12-2017, 06:44 PM)KevinL Wrote: Ikea's next full-size store is opening in... London, in 2019.

With a new store in London, I'd wager that the prospect for another in the Region has pretty much disappeared.

RE: General Retail News - ijmorlan - 10-13-2017

(10-12-2017, 09:59 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 06:44 PM)KevinL Wrote: Ikea's next full-size store is opening in... London, in 2019.

With a new store in London, I'd wager that the prospect for another in the Region has pretty much disappeared.

Even Winnipeg (meaning all of Manitoba) didn’t get a store until just a couple of years ago. I don’t think Ikea builds a store unless there is massive demand. We’ll have to be satisfied with the pickup point near Sportsworld for a long time to come. It has meatballs and Lingonberry sauce anyway so that’s the most important thing. Now if they would just add a cafeteria, maybe on UW campus.

RE: General Retail News - razzie13 - 10-13-2017

London has had a pickup point a couple of years longer than us, so if that's an indicator...

RE: General Retail News - Spokes - 10-13-2017

I get the London choice, it corners the market on that end of the province.  But what gives, I still see us as a better location

RE: General Retail News - clasher - 10-13-2017

People here are more than willing to drive to Burlington so I guess they don't see much of an advantage to building a store.

RE: General Retail News - plam - 10-13-2017

(10-13-2017, 12:35 PM)clasher Wrote: People here are more than willing to drive to Burlington so I guess they don't see much of an advantage to building a store.

I thought that would be the case for MEC too, but here we are. Burlington, Kitchener and London all have MEC locations.