Waterloo Region Connected
One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete (/showthread.php?tid=299)

RE: Mayfair Hotel - plam - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 11:31 AM)ookpik Wrote: Meanwhile there's fencing in front of the Mayfair Hotel that covers the entire sidewalk, forcing pedestrians to walk on the busy street. There was even a car parked with 4-way flashers beside the fencing when I walked past earlier this morning.

How safe is that arrangement?

P.S.  And this is happening right under the noses of City Hall bureaucrats who are just next door.

I'd take my chances with the cars rather than the building that's going to fall down at some point in the relatively near future. I'm not sure how well shared streets works in general but in this case I think it's OK as a temporary measure.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - panamaniac - 05-13-2015

Or, one could take radical action and cross over to the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - ookpik - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 12:32 PM)plam Wrote: I'd take my chances with the cars rather than the building that's going to fall down at some point in the relatively near future. I'm not sure how well shared streets works in general but in this case I think it's OK as a temporary measure.

I could have been clearer. The parked car beside the fencing forced pedestrians to walk past in the middle of King Street in traffic. I would have thought that some provision could have been made for pedestrians, e.g. some cones or temporary curb to create a narrow path around the site, especially considering the proximity to City Hall.

(05-13-2015, 03:11 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Or, one could take radical action and cross over to the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street.

Or even a sign instructing pedestrians to cross to the other side of King as is standard practice at construction sites where it's not practical to provide safe passage for pedestrians.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - REnerd - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 09:15 AM)white_brian Wrote: I was just surprised that a reputable seasoned architect would go on record with such ridiculous notions.
Don't get me wrong I have had my fair share of dealings with well educated architects when I was in construction but this one took the cake!!

Where is the quote by the architect in question?  I'd like to see it for myself Smile

RE: Mayfair Hotel - white_brian - 05-13-2015

It should be in the mins from the meeting. I saw it on the news at 11:30 following the meeting.
I think there was also reference to it on either CBC or the Record

RE: Mayfair Hotel - panamaniac - 05-13-2015

(05-13-2015, 03:46 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(05-13-2015, 12:32 PM)plam Wrote: I'd take my chances with the cars rather than the building that's going to fall down at some point in the relatively near future. I'm not sure how well shared streets works in general but in this case I think it's OK as a temporary measure.

I could have been clearer. The parked car beside the fencing forced pedestrians to walk past in the middle of King Street in traffic. I would have thought that some provision could have been made for pedestrians, e.g. some cones or temporary curb to create a narrow path around the site, especially considering the proximity to City Hall.

(05-13-2015, 03:11 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Or, one could take radical action and cross over to the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street.

Or even a sign instructing pedestrians to cross to the other side of King as is standard practice at construction sites where it's not practical to provide safe passage for pedestrians.

You'll be pleased to know that said signs are now in place

RE: Mayfair Hotel - Spokes - 05-14-2015

(05-13-2015, 06:03 PM)white_brian Wrote: It should be in the mins from the meeting. I saw it on the news at 11:30 following the meeting.
I think there was also reference to it on either CBC or the Record

Ya I'm not sure it made it to press anywhere, but I remember hearing it while watching.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - MacBerry - 05-16-2015

Did anyone hear if the demolition permit was issued on Friday (May 15) as required by the City?

RE: Mayfair Hotel - ookpik - 05-17-2015

(05-16-2015, 10:11 PM)MacBerry Wrote: Did anyone hear if the demolition permit was issued on Friday (May 15) as required by the City?

Mayfair demolition to begin Wednesday 
Quote:The building department issued the demolition permit Friday afternoon, and said demolition should begin Wednesday, weather permitting, and be completed just over two weeks later, on June 4.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - panamaniac - 05-19-2015

King St W is closed between City Hall and Ontario St. I don't know if that's just for some specific work related to the Mayfair demolition or whether the street will be closed during all/part of the demolition, which will apparently take up to two weeks.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - Lens - 05-19-2015

Demo is underway... 

https://twitter.com/DarinTheGreat/status/600750852689633280

[Image: CFZLt6nUgAIiVlc.jpg]

https://twitter.com/alexkinsella/status/600746228087967744

[Image: CFZHgobVEAA7xzd.jpg]

https://twitter.com/CBCKW891/status/600743118296764416

[Image: CFZErruWMAABjqu.jpg]

RE: Mayfair Hotel - TMKM94 - 05-19-2015

IMO this whole thing is fishy and I think Mike Seiling should be ashamed of himself, they could have easily repaired the Mayfair according to some experts by pouring cement in the basement, the only way to make up for this tragic loss of architecture is to force the developer to build a duplicate of the original building inside and out.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - Rainrider22 - 05-19-2015

(05-19-2015, 08:14 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: Mike Seiling should be ashamed of himself, they could have easily repaired the Mayfair according to some experts by pouring cement in the basement, the only way to make up for this tragic loss of architecture is to force the developer to build a duplicate of the original building inside and out.

I just finished a four day trip through many cities and small towns through New York State, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.  I witnessed  many examples of "architectural Heritage". The Mayfair is not that. Mike Seiling should be proud of himself for taking a professional stance a and making the difficult decision irrespective of all the pressure against him.  I respect him for being principled and taking the appropriate action. 

RE: Mayfair Hotel - BuildingScout - 05-19-2015

Here's a prediction; because of the bad state of disrepair and the ugly ground level gray brick facade, the area will look better once there is nothing but a green replacing the building than it did with the Mayfair there.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - TMKM94 - 05-19-2015

It's not the most beautiful building in the world but it had huge potential, it was one of the very few historic buildings left in Kitchener, the main floor facade was ugly and the upper floor expansion was nothing special but the 2nd and 3rd floor looked great, if they gave the main floor a facelift it would have been a gem.