Waterloo Region Connected
One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Urban Areas (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: One Young (née Mayfair Hotel) | 5 fl | Complete (/showthread.php?tid=299)

RE: Mayfair Hotel - Spokes - 05-20-2015

(05-20-2015, 09:44 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(05-20-2015, 06:57 AM)Spokes Wrote: Does anyone have a photo that they've taken of the demolition?  I'd like to post something on our front page, but stealing someone's twitter picture doesn't sit right.  I can't get to the demo site until tomorrow at the the earliest.  

Ask and you shall receive!

Thanks!!!

RE: Mayfair Hotel - TMKM94 - 05-20-2015

I think it seems fishy because of how fast Mike Seiling decided it needed to be demolished not giving Historic building repair experts the chance to figure out ways to repair the building , it didn't collapse when someone sneezed near it like some "self proclaimed experts" acted like it was going to and since some councilors knew it could be saved and Kitchener has a history of fishy demolitions.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - TMKM94 - 05-20-2015

OSIRIS my place in the world is great I'm so lucky to have it and would never trade it if it were possible to do so.

I feel like I'm being treated like an idiot for thinking this building was beautiful (obviously not the main floor facade) and had huge potential and could have at least been partially saved so I will just keep my opinion to myself from now on, sorry for sharing my opinion.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - tomh009 - 05-20-2015

(05-20-2015, 11:56 AM)TMKM94 Wrote: I think it seems fishy because of how fast Mike Seiling decided it needed to be demolished not giving Historic building repair experts the chance to figure out ways to repair the building , it didn't collapse when someone sneezed near it like some "self proclaimed experts" acted like it was going to and since some councilors knew it could be saved and Kitchener has a history of fishy demolitions.

First, the building was not designated as historic, it was only on the candidate list.

Second, the assessment of the building's stability was done by qualified structural engineers.  None of the "experts" who spoke against demolition at the council meeting were qualified structural engineers.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - MidTowner - 05-20-2015

(05-20-2015, 12:24 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I feel like I'm being treated like an idiot for thinking this building was beautiful (obviously not the main floor facade) and had huge potential and could have at least been partially saved so I will just keep my opinion to myself from now on, sorry for sharing my opinion.

There are a number of folks around here who have a very narrow view of what has heritage worth, and can not accept that there is a huge amount of subjectivity to what is beautiful or aesthetically pleasing. I don't think there's anyone who would not acknowledge at least some things as having heritage value, so I won't say that.

For what it's worth, I agree with you that many demolitions are permitted which should be considered much more carefully than they are. Once a building is demolished, we have lost that potential value forever, and in many cases it can not be replicated. I'm not sure that I agree with you in this case, but I'm no expert. I think it's very possible that you're right about what happened.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - taylortbb - 05-20-2015

(05-20-2015, 12:24 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I feel like I'm being treated like an idiot for thinking this building was beautiful (obviously not the main floor facade) and had huge potential and could have at least been partially saved so I will just keep my opinion  to myself from now on, sorry for sharing my opinion.

I feel I should point out that that ugly main floor facade was in fact load bearing, so there was little that could be done about it. Original plans had called for replacing the brick with windows, but not possible if they're load bearing. It's those walls that were bowed out by half a foot after the watermain break. Three independent structural engineers, some hired by the city some by the developer, inspected the building and they were unanimous that collapse was imminent.

I don't think people are saying you're an idiot for thinking the building was beautiful. I was personally quite excited by the plans I'd seen for renovating that building, and looking forward to having dinner on the proposed rooftop restaurant. The point was just that three independent structural engineers is a lot of expertise, and their conclusion was unanimous. The only people to have publicly disagreed are not engineers, nor have they had the ability to inspect the building.

The developer was someone who specialized in restoring old buildings, and has done an excellent job in their past work downtown. They had likely invested over a million dollars into the renovation work already completed, and all the architectural work for the planned expansion. Now they're back at square one, with all that money wasted, plus the cost of demolition.

I'm just not seeing how that all adds up to an underhanded demolition. I don't think any of the parties involved wanted this.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - isUsername - 05-20-2015

(05-20-2015, 01:09 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(05-20-2015, 12:24 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: I feel like I'm being treated like an idiot for thinking this building was beautiful (obviously not the main floor facade) and had huge potential and could have at least been partially saved so I will just keep my opinion  to myself from now on, sorry for sharing my opinion.

I feel I should point out that that ugly main floor facade was in fact load bearing, so there was little that could be done about it. Original plans had called for replacing the brick with windows, but not possible if they're load bearing.

That's not necessarily true. You can't replace the brick entirely with windows, but you could do a combination of windows and new structural beams that are strong enough to support the existing (or even additional) loads. Cinderblock is definitely not the strongest building material, and it's entirely possible they could have been replaced with a metal / reinforced concrete framework with openings for windows.

A quick Google search tells me that the compression strength for reinforced concrete is, at minimum, twice as strong as cinderblocks, and the upper limit of reinforced concrete's compression strength is much, much higher. Steel beams have a bending resistance over ten times greater than the compression strength of cinderblocks. So, it's certainly plausible that reinforced concrete pillars topped with steel beams could provide significantly more structural strength than the original walls.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - clasher - 05-20-2015

(05-20-2015, 01:28 PM)isUsername Wrote:
(05-20-2015, 01:09 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I feel I should point out that that ugly main floor facade was in fact load bearing, so there was little that could be done about it. Original plans had called for replacing the brick with windows, but not possible if they're load bearing.

That's not necessarily true. You can't replace the brick entirely with windows, but you could do a combination of windows and new structural beams that are strong enough to support the existing (or even additional) loads. Cinderblock is definitely not the strongest building material, and it's entirely possible they could have been replaced with a metal / reinforced concrete framework with openings for windows.

A quick Google search tells me that the compression strength for reinforced concrete is, at minimum, twice as strong as cinderblocks, and the upper limit of reinforced concrete's compression strength is much, much higher. Steel beams have a bending resistance over ten times greater than the compression strength of cinderblocks. So, it's certainly plausible that reinforced concrete pillars topped with steel beams could provide significantly more structural strength than the original walls.

Well that sounds great in theory but how to you support the walls when the foundations below grade are damaged and at risk of collapsing. It doesn't matter what you replace the first storey walls with if the ground can't carry the load it's still gonna come down one day. The lack of a stable foundation coupled with other beams being undersized on the above floors really add all kinds of dangerous unpredictability to the equation. Without knowing what the ground around the foundations is like it would be impossible to stabilize and support the facade let alone the whole building, but I'm no expert so IDK.

As I posted earlier I'd take any demolition over the loss of lives in an effort to save what amounts to a pile of bricks. Lots of construction workers die every year and few people seem to care or realize... why make it more dangerous for those people? Yes, it's a shame the facade can't be saved and yes there have been poor choices made in the past WRT heritage buildings in Kitchener but I think the right call was made here.  I doubt anyone that wants to see it saved would be willing to go into that building and start jack-hammering away the bricks and welding in gussets and whatnot to try and save it.

Here's the progress of the demo so far:
[Image: XRaLvlT.jpg]

There was a couple dozen people watching and lots of people taking pictures too.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - REnerd - 05-20-2015

That picture has allowed me to understand the structural deficiency of the building ... apparently the third floor was made from Neapolitan ice cream.

(05-20-2015, 01:09 PM)taylortbb Wrote:

I feel I should point out that that ugly main floor facade was in fact load bearing, so there was little that could be done about it. Original plans had called for replacing the brick with windows, but not possible if they're load bearing. It's those walls that were bowed out by half a foot after the watermain break. Three independent structural engineers, some hired by the city some by the developer, inspected the building and they were unanimous that collapse was imminent.

I don't think people are saying you're an idiot for thinking the building was beautiful. I was personally quite excited by the plans I'd seen for renovating that building, and looking forward to having dinner on the proposed rooftop restaurant. The point was just that three independent structural engineers is a lot of expertise, and their conclusion was unanimous. The only people to have publicly disagreed are not engineers, nor have they had the ability to inspect the building.

The developer was someone who specialized in restoring old buildings, and has done an excellent job in their past work downtown. They had likely invested over a million dollars into the renovation work already completed, and all the architectural work for the planned expansion. Now they're back at square one, with all that money wasted, plus the cost of demolition.

I'm just not seeing how that all adds up to an underhanded demolition. I don't think any of the parties involved wanted this.

I agree with all of this.

Would I have loved to see this building stay?  Absolutely.  I loved the proposal for it and thought it was going to add a lot to the core.  

The issue is that unfortunately the structure failed here.  Would it be nice to save?  Of course, but when it was deemed unsafe by experts, for me, the building was done for.  Can you imagine if workers had gone in and something happened and they died?  People would be calling for the heads of Seiling and others.  When the experts said it was unsafe, peopled listened.  At the end of the day, I'm not an engineer, and don't for a second pretend to be one.  So when it comes to issues like structure, I'll trust the experts ten times out of ten.

TMKM94, I don't think anyone was calling you an idiot either, or saying you can't share your opinion, I think people were sharing why they disagreed with you, and why they didn't think that there was some covert fishyness going on.

(05-20-2015, 02:13 PM)REnerd Wrote: That picture has allowed me to understand the structural deficiency of the building ... apparently the third floor was made from Neapolitan ice cream.

I literally just laughed out loud right now.  Well done.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - panamaniac - 05-20-2015

About 1600hrs this afternoon:

[Image: 2ylsrr7.jpg]

Seeing the Hymmen Hardware portion of the building come through the demolition unscathed (so far) leaves me wondering why it still needs to come down.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - JoeKW - 05-20-2015

Is that the giant chain saw I've been told about?

RE: Mayfair Hotel - panamaniac - 05-20-2015

(05-20-2015, 08:16 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Is that the giant chain saw I've been told about?

I saw no giant chain saw.  The red machine is a high-reach excavator.

RE: Mayfair Hotel - Smore - 05-20-2015

(05-19-2015, 08:14 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: IMO this whole thing is fishy and I think Mike Seiling should be ashamed of himself, they could have easily repaired the Mayfair according to some experts by pouring cement in the basement, the only way to make up for this tragic loss of architecture is to force the developer to build a duplicate of the original building inside and out.

This is ridiculous. Multiple independent structural engineers came to the same conclusions. I'm not an engineer of any kind, but the reports speak to irreparable damage to upper walls...concrete in the basement wouldn't change that! Frankly, kudos to structural engineers, particularly the chief building official for making sound engineering decisions in the face of public backlash. I believe the "fill the basement" approach was proposed by the geotechnical (not structural engineer) that was a delegate to council that hadn't been in the building, but was "involved in writing standards".

TMKM94 - if you have this kind of enthusiasm for saving old buildings, look around and figure out what the next old building that is falling apart is...save it. Remember Mayfair in pictures and get excited about what can be in its former location.

And don't slam the CBO for doing his job, correctly. Especially since Elliot Lake, who's inquiry came out less than a year ago.