Waterloo Region Connected
General Township Updates and Rumours - Printable Version

+- Waterloo Region Connected (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com)
+-- Forum: Land Development and Real Estate (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Townships (https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: General Township Updates and Rumours (/showthread.php?tid=3)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 08-28-2019

The boundary as shown by Woolwich's GIS has it basically running in a straight line from Benjamin & Weber to Bridge & King. This means Walmart and everything on Benjamin Rd. between Weber and Farmers Market Rd. is in Woolwich. Keep in mind that postal addresses don't necessarily conform to the municipality that you are actually in.

I believe there is some sort agreement with the City of Waterloo on property taxes in that district, but I don't recall the details.

RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 08-28-2019

(08-28-2019, 07:15 AM)jamincan Wrote: The boundary as shown by Woolwich's GIS has it basically running in a straight line from Benjamin & Weber to Bridge & King. This means Walmart and everything on Benjamin Rd. between Weber and Farmers Market Rd. is in Woolwich. Keep in mind that postal addresses don't necessarily conform to the municipality that you are actually in.

I believe there is some sort agreement with the City of Waterloo on property taxes in that district, but I don't recall the details.

I think the Woolwich/Waterloo boundary is a straight line running from the corner of Cedar Grove/Wilmot Line/Township Rd. 2 all the way to the river, at various locations running along Benjamin Rd., Bridge St. W, University Ave. E, and Country Squire Rd. I am not certain but believe the boundary actually runs right down the middle of those roads. To my knowledge this is an unmodified original township boundary, which explains why it is so simple — there probably aren’t more than a dozen buildings in the entire Region which pre-date it.

RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - nms - 09-26-2019

Benjamin Road is actually on the Woolwich side of the boundary but it was assumed to straddle the border for many years. I believe that this came to light when City and Township were discussing possible improvements to the road a few years ago.

RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 09-26-2019

(09-26-2019, 12:09 AM)nms Wrote: Benjamin Road is actually on the Woolwich side of the boundary but it was assumed to straddle the border for many years. I believe that this came to light when City and Township were discussing possible improvements to the road a few years ago.

Fascinating! Do you happen to know if the same is true of the roads on other parts of the boundary?

RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - nms - 10-23-2019

I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised. After 200 years of development, there are all sorts of surprises hiding in built-environment geography. The best that I heard was about a century old County road in another County that turned out to be running over private property. In that case, the municipality and the owner came to a quick agreement to transfer ownership of the property to the County.

RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - kps - 10-23-2019

Wilmot Line is in Wilmot, according the Region map.

RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - nms - 10-23-2019

(10-23-2019, 02:40 PM)kps Wrote: Wilmot Line is in Wilmot, according the Region map.

This is what lead to a lengthy discussion between Township and City about whether the road should be upgraded to take the traffic from the west side of Waterloo (or for that matter, whether the road should even accept it).

RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - hypnagogic_logic - 07-30-2020

These notices appeared at Fountain and Menno St. in Breslau this morning. Seeking a zoning amendment for a mixed residential development on 50 hectares (a third or fourth phase of Empire Homes, presumably). What is interesting is that it re-aligns Menno to accommodate an extension of Ottawa St. over the river. The north end of the development would border on the CN rail corridor and be anchored by an extended Dolman St. 

It was only a matter of time, but I really do hope that the Region is committed in the long term to maintaining Fountain St. as a hard country-side barrier.

RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - jamincan - 07-30-2020

There's already development east of Fountain on the south side of Victoria with a big new subdivision currently under construction off Greenhouse Rd.

RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - ijmorlan - 07-30-2020

More horrible zoning. Small commercial uses should be allowed throughout the new development. We don’t need more residential monocultures.

RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - hypnagogic_logic - 07-30-2020

(07-30-2020, 09:37 PM)jamincan Wrote: There's already development east of Fountain on the south side of Victoria with a big new subdivision currently under construction off Greenhouse Rd.
Ah, I should have clarified, I meant specifically east of Fountain and south of the rail line and Greenhouse Rd. The Hopewell Creek development I was well-aware of already.

RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - Bjays93 - 10-13-2020

Small plot of land on the corner of Greenfield and Northumberland, directly across from the foodland has a sign up for singles and towns. Its sandwiched between the two roads, a forest and a service line running to grain silos (service line is still in use)

Development may potentially be larger than it appears however, as a friend mentioned he was starting work soon on a reasonably sized development roughly in the same vicinity of where the signs went up.

RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - Chris - 03-26-2021

https://outline.com/XtEaVZ

Oh man, a four-unit row home in New Hamburg? The place is ruined and current residents have to move now...

RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - danbrotherston - 03-26-2021

(03-26-2021, 09:43 AM)Chris Wrote: https://outline.com/XtEaVZ

Oh man, a four-unit row home in New Hamburg? The place is ruined and current residents have to move now...

I honestly cannot understand these folks...how can you have so little perspective, and be so terrified of other people. I've never liked change, but even before I made peace with it, I don't think I'd have been moved to tears by a four plex (on a street with five existing apartment buildings) as these folks apparently were.

RE: General Township Updates and Rumours - ac3r - 03-26-2021

Gotta love the NIMBYs who transplant themselves into a community that they were not always part of and then feel entitled to dictate how it will develop because they want to LARP that it's still 1955 small town Ontario. The objection by Craig Nichols is completely bizarre. He objects to this development because he thinks the people moving in are going to be staring at his teenage daughters...what the hell?